Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest "BULLITT" Steve McQueen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Oct 31, 2012.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Set your DVD's! "BULLITT" will be on Turner Classic Movies tomorrow at 8:45cts.

At the time of the film's release, the car chase scene generated a great amount of excitement.<SUP id=cite_ref-Ebert_1-1 class=reference>[2]</SUP> Leonard Maltin has called it a "now-classic car chase, one of the screen's all-time best."<SUP id=cite_ref-Maltin_2-1 class=reference>[3]</SUP> Emanuel Levy wrote in 2003 that, "Bullitt contains one of the most exciting car chases in film history, a sequence that revolutionized Hollywood's standards."<SUP id=cite_ref-Levy_3-1 class=reference>[4]</SUP> In his obituary for Peter Yates, Bruce Weber wrote "Mr. Yates&#8217; reputation probably rests most securely on &#8220;Bullitt&#8221; (1968), his first American film &#8212; and indeed, on one particular scene, an extended car chase that instantly became a classic."<SUP id=cite_ref-Weber_4-1 class=reference>[5]</SUP> The editing of this scene likely won editor Frank P. Keller the Academy Award for Best Editing.<SUP id=cite_ref-Hartl_9-0 class=reference>[10]</SUP>

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. 296ardun

296ardun

One of the coolest movie ever...scene where they find a dead hoodlum in a fleabag hotel, on the old Embarcadero....I actually lived there briefly, when my second ship was decomissioned at Hunter's Point shipyard, me and a couple of Navy buddies, right next to the Salvation Army, lived on beer and bologna...

3. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Thanks for the heads up. I'd definitely watch it many more times. I'll get my wife to DVR it since I don't know how to do that.

Great connection to the story!

4. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

One cool feature is the excelllent sound track, love it.

5. kennkat

kennkat

Belongs in any "Car Guy's" must have movie collection..... with 2 Lane Blacktop..... American Graffiti...... Vanishing Point.... &&&

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

ok movie with a excellent car chase scene but my favorite McQueen movie is The Thomas Crown Affair. Coooooool.

Kelly Burns likes this.
  7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I saw it in a theater in Kualla Lumpur Malasia while on R&R. The car chase is on You tube and can be seen anytime. A bad case of wheel hop.:D

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Thanks for the heads up Fred. Autotune is set.

9. zep058

zep058

Hey!! NO MUSTANGS on the HAMB!

(But black big block Dodges should be a pass)

:D

J/k what a film, what a car chase.

10. box50

box50

You know it's time for the Chase to start when the dude in the dodge snaps his seat belt,then it's on. Did McQueen do all his own driving in this movie.

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes- reports from years ago -McQueen did all his own driving.

Deuces likes this.
  12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Saw it when it first came out, (and many times since) on the big screen at the drive-in. Everyone was in awe of that chase scene. Nothing like that had ever had ever been filmed before at that point. And McQueen was just as cool as it got. As stated above, the word at the time, was McQueen did all his own driving, and it was his own Mustang. I'm pretty sure that was later de-bunked. Regardless, that chase set a standard and still ranks as one of, if not the, greatest filmed.

13. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

A couple of weeks ago I found a 2 dvd Mcqueen set in the $5.00 movie bin at Walmart. It contained "Bullitt" & "Papillion"

14. Jimv

Jimv

Was Steve McQueen the coolest dude or what!! Any cooler & he wouldn't have been white!lol
    JimV

slack likes this.
  15. suede shoe

suede shoe

Good deal, you couldn't rent it for that price. I got the bluray "Bullit" on sale for $9.99 at Target a couple years ago.. It is best known for the chase scene, but the plot and acting was really good in that movie.

16. The Mt Scott Drive-In in Lawton, Oklahoma in my dad's '65 Galaxie is where I first saw Bullitt.

Dispite sittin' in the back seat, I 'member I still got a bit queasy durin' the chase scene while the cars was gettin' airborne....

17. box50

box50

I have not seen this movie in a long time I'm thinking it had a pretty good chase scene Gene Hackman The French Connection. He wore a cool hat I thought.

18. Just how many hubcaps did that Dodge Charger loose during the chase? HRP

Turnipseed likes this.
  19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was thinking the same thing in Malasia in 1968. It was a bunch.:D

20. McQueen started out driving the Mustang, but after missing a corner (that stayed in the movie) he was pulled for the stunt driver.

Steve

21. box50

box50

Another good chase movie, The 7-Ups with Roy Scheider go to youtube this chase last about 10 minutes listen to the audio,sound familiar and check out the driver of the getaway car,looks familiar don't he at least this time he gets away. Don't know his name but he did a lot of stunt driving in all kind of movies.

22. chevy3755

chevy3755

a great movie................Mr Cool

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read a long story in a mag once (saved it somewhere) giving details about the chase. They worked over the Mustang pretty hard to get it to do what it did. They ordered the Charger with a "police package" suspension and actually had to use undersized 14" wheels n tires to even up the 2 cars. When you watch it you can tell that the Charger looks a bit wimpy in the wheel/tire dept. Rumors were flying in the days close to the movie. One was that the motorcycle gig was real, he didn't belong there. McQueen did indeed stay in the seat for most of what's on film. He was replaced for certain shots, and not nearly for his lack of ability, more like the producers protecting an asset. The final ending for the bad guys? A tow bar was rigged to pull the Charger at high speed then release it in time for the crash into the gas pumps. It missed and the station was rigged to blow anyway. As you watch the statio explode, look behind and to the left of the screen. You can see the Charger bounding off into the dirt. That was not ol Steve draggin it nor crashing into the ditch. The shotgun blast to the windshield was some more realistic film magic. The gun did indeed shoot the Mustang's windshield. It was a rig made up of cables and ball bearings and such that smacked the glass just right once fired from the stunt gun. All in all, an awesome piece of work, and for the longest time I never cared about the rest of the movie. In fact it's not great by any other standard, but it's Steve McQueen and cars, not to mention a cast that was clearly very in to it. I fuckin love the 60s...

Deuces likes this.
  24. box50

box50

The guy's name is Bill Hickman,found out some cool info on this guy. He was good friends with James Dean,and cars brought them together Hickman said that Dean was very talented and Hickman thinks he would have gone far with his driving skills and acting talents. Hickman recalls what Dean always called him,Big Bastard so Hickman always called him Little Bastard. In the last years of Dean's life Hickman was his driver and drove the station wagon and pulled the car trailer which of course was Dean's Porsche. Hickman was the first one to wreck which killed James Dean.

25. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

As a mopar guy I have to post a quote from Max Balchowsky:

from http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html

26. taylormade

taylormade

I can categorically state that McQueen did not do all of the driving in Bullitt. I worked on a film with Carey Loftin, the stunt coordinator on the film and I can confirm that Michigander's story is dead on. Carey told me McQueen thought he was a good driver - but that he was sadly mistaken. McQueen did some of the less demanding driving and, of course, the interior shots, but the tough stuff was left to the professionals. Carey showed me personal pictures taken during the film and it ain't McQueen driving. Bill Hickman, the guy driving the Charger, was actually a real stunt driver. Bullitt got him some acting jobs based on his performance/driving in the film. Notice he never says anything during the film.

If you watch the chase a few times you begin to see that the whole thing is a very well done cheat. Look for the infamous green VW that appears in multiple shots. You will quickly realize that a single scene - the two cars racing down a steep hill, bouncing over the hilltops and then making a sudden left turn - is used four times as supposedly separate parts of the chase. The scene where the cars come down the hill - and passes the green VW. The really amazing scene from inside the Mustang as it bottoms out and flies off the hilltops - and passes that same green VW. A close shot of the Charger flying - and passing that damn green VW. Also notice the white LaMans that darts out of a side street in each shot. One take, three or four cameras, and instant car chase.

Carey was the most amazing driver I've ever seen. He did a gag on our film where he came in off the street into a gas station at about 50 mph, hit the brakes and stopped within six inches of the marks set by the director (me). He did it five times and hit the mark dead on each and every time. He did the driving on Bullitt, The French Connection, Duel and hundreds more - including the "chicken" scene in Rebel Without A Cause. We lost him in 1997. They don't make them like that anymore.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

It was all that Charger driver could do to hold it back from eating that rustang.

28. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

the BEST part of the chase, ( well IMHO ) is right at the very second that charger
    pops (stomps)the THROTTLE and turns left......

you (should all know that feeling by now ) know what i'm saying.
    and that poor ol stang burned a lot of OIL ...

my fist tat says HEMI the other one says Cheby <--- i'm not too good at making the (tat) JOKE.

:cool:

29. Cerberus

Cerberus

Thanks for the heads up. Great movie. Still like McQueen more in the "Great Escape."

Attached Files:

30. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

More McQueen Trivia.

McQueen was a student of Bruce Lee's Martial Arts. He was trained by Bruce Lee himself. They were personal friends to the point Steve McQueen was a pallbearer at Bruce Lee's funeral along side Chuck Norris.

MrC.
    Bullitt was a good movie, as for chase seens the Original "Gone in 60 seconds" was better.