Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bullet center caps on OEM steel wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NYHC396, Jan 28, 2013.

1. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Hope the hole saw idea works. I'm taking care of some other things at the moment but am really interested in push through caps without spending the $160 on spider caps which don't look that great in my opinion.

2. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'll post up as soon as I find out

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tap the spindle end to take a 3/8" bolt, eliminate the dust cover, and attach a full cap with the 3/8" centered bolt.
    Blows the citizens' minds to see you roll by with the hubcaps not turning...

4. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Did the hole saw trick work?

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I haven't had a chance to try it yet...money's kinda tight right now so even the $14 hole saw has to be held off on for a week or two. My neighbor may have one i can try. If he does I'll give it a shot today. I figure if it looks bad I can just leave the factory hub caps on

6. Slopok

Slopok

How are you gonna use a hole saw when there is already a hole? Nothing to center the drill bit in.

7. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

No need for a center drill bit. On page 1, I said the outer diameter of the lip on the center hole was just barely under 3". The lip will hold the hole saw in place. My main concern is with the hole saw being able to cut through the wheel steel

8. Slopok

Slopok

Curious to see if that works, I would still imagine it will be hard to stay centered. Get a good hole saw & use oil though.

9. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Once I get the saw I'll have a better idea of if it'll work or not. I think once it goes around a few times it'll cut enough of a groove to keep itself in place. I'll post a video up on my youtube channel so everyone can see it in action, whether it works or not haha

10. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Good luck! I hope it works for you or hope a cheap solution exists. I used to have access to Mills and Lathes but I switched up jobs so I'm stuck using hand tools or finding a work related colleague to do them at their shop.

11. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Do they make a stepped drill bit that large?

12. chimp71

chimp71

A word of caution, first drill a test hole on a flat thin piece of metal to test your holes final diameter.Please use a drillpress to drive the holesaw, or be prepared for a broken wrist, fingers or other things if you use a hand held drill!

13. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I thought about the press thing but unfortunately all I have is a handheld drill. I think with that technique, rpm and moderate pressure are key

14. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wheels painted body color , center bullets and bullet lugs with spider rings
    [​IMG]

15. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

That looks good.

16. See post 26. I don't like your chances if you are trying to use a hand drill without a centre guide. I like my wrists unbroken.

17. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

As do I my friend. But...I don't own or even have access to a press. I'm using a cordless drill so it wont generate too much torque. The lip of the center hole will provide the guide (hopefully). If it looks horrible, I'll stick with the dog dish caps.

18. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about you but my Makita cordless will twist your wrist right off! How about making a backing plate that bolts to the back of the rim though the wheel lug holes. Mark center on it and use the pilot drill in the holesaw and cut through the wheel into the backing plate.

19. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Way better looking than the spider caps! I am going to ask my work colleague to help me with mine. Are your rims smoothies or stock wheels? I like the spider ring but imagine you need smoothies for those.

20. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just regular old GM 15 in 5X5 bolt wheels....I was actually looking to find spiders but couldn't find 5X5 so I went the bullets route

21. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Cool. Is that a chrome ring where a baby moon cap would mount (not the outer trim rings but the one that is approx 10 1/2 diameter) or is that painted? Is that what you call a spider ring?

22. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So did you have to open the centers up or no?

23. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Search Speedway, they have spider rings....$129 a set

24. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems to me I did just a bit but I just used a die grinder . Didn't take out much if I remember right