Register now to get rid of these ads!

BULK spark plug wire - any good resources?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

My Moroso BlueMax wires didn't cut it - 2 out of 8 are bad after 300 miles. I'd like to just make my own set of wires. Anyone have a good resource for 12 to 15 ft of 8mm suppressed wire? Preferably black or dark blue.

2. dubcee

dubcee

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

That's perfect - thanks for finding it.

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

Looks like the Pertronix wire is resisted, which I'm guessing is the same as suppressed...even though it doesn't say that in the description.

I may just buy a spool of the Taylor wire and make wires for a few car buddies also...I know a few guys who want the black wires and I might be able to make enough cash to pay for the spool.

5. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Taylor made wires are supressed but don't have a resistance value per se. As far as I know all other wires suppressed=resistor wires.

6. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

you want SOLID CORE then

7. Of course they do. the 8mm Spiral pro is 350Ω per foot. the 8.2mm thunder Volt is 40Ω per foot and it can cause issues with certain Electronics. the 10.4mm 409 wire is 350Ω per foot. the 8mm StreeThunder is 500Ω per foot. the Rpo Wire resistor core they don't list a value for but I seem to remember it being in the 80Ω range.
    The only ones that don't have a resistance value are the Solid Core wires

The PerTronix wire for comparison is 500Ω per foot.
    No he doesn't - it will screw up his Electronic module.

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Solid core will mess with my Unilite distributor...I need suppressed/resisted.

9. Ohms resistance in suppression plug wires is a very misunderstood area of automotive electrical engineering. I would suggest that anyone that is interested in this topic read the very good information on Magnacor's website regarding this.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

The uneducated person would like to thing that less resistance is better in a plug wire. Kinda like believing that more horsepower is better in a tow vehicle.

Al

Grandmas73 likes this.
  10. 73RR

73RR

I have one spool each of 8mm black and med/dk blue. This is vey good wire, happy to sell whatever length you/anyone need. Best to send PM.

11. phrogvanner

phrogvanner

Hotroddon the Pro Wire is 1900-3500 ohms per foot.

Smog Guy The difference between Spiral wound cores and resistance (OEM carbon core) wires is that spiral wound wires don't wear out like carbon cores. They still have a suppression resistance and will not effect most electronic ignitions ( The ones they will effect will state on instructions must use wires with 3000 ohm resistance) and are perfectly safe to use with electronic tach and stereos.

Wire Core wires are basically only used with magnetos and old vintage car restorations.

12. Another source for Packard 440 wire is Jim Gordon at Antique Auto Parts in Rosemead CA. He has a huge spool of it. Try (626) 288-2121 after 11am.
    JimSig