Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bulb/wire Gremlin Trouble Shoot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Dec 15, 2008.

1. bustingear

bustingear

Ok 80's cats I want to test your mullett knowledge. I am working on my kids 86 firebird which as soon as I have done will allow me to switch over to my 28 sedan which will be a third add to my 55 chevy and my 30 hot rod coupe.

As you may know there are alot of bulbs in the back of one of these fire chickens.
    The problem is that when the headlights are off all of the bulbs work fine directionals, brakes etc.

When I turn on the headlights all work fine except the right rear directionals. On the left rear it is a small amber lense for directional.
    The right one however ticks many of the red lenses and not the amber lense and also get this even ticks some of the tail lights on the driver side as well. I dont get it....its only on the right rear and only when the headlights are on.
    Anyone have an idea???? Brake switch ....headlight switch????
    Help!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. You've got a bad ground. Probably at the headlight, possibly at the taillight.

3. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

34hupmobile has got it on the nose. Add a ground to both the front headlights and the rear lights body to chassis. Make sure your battery to motor, motor to chassis ground are also good.

4. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Yes, I agree.....H

5. Ground problem. Also we have found some of the china bulbs are screwed up. The contacts are not contacting the correct place causing a ground.

6. JAWS

JAWS

7. snowman

snowman

Also make sure every bulb is the correct style of bulb...it could be that simple.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Check all the dual filament bulbs - sometimes one element burns loose & drops down on the remaining operating filament, then feeds back causing strange problems.

9. bustingear

bustingear

Do you mean break into the black wire at the taillight and at the headlight and direct wire it to the body? Would that work?

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

No, add a redundant ground, bulb socket to car sheetmetal

11. bustingear

bustingear

Redundant ground added from base of socket direct to frame and thankfully problem resolved. I appreciate the help. DB