Register now to get rid of these ads!

Built me a louver press.... and it works!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Oct 2, 2006.

1. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I don't know anyone who can weld like that! Excellent!

pigpen

2. Wow, a tool that is a work of art. unbelievable.

3. I don't tig weld everything I build as it is so time consuming but I enjoy it when I can sit at a table and take my time. For 90% of car building I use mig.

Diesel627 likes this.
  4. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

That thing is titties! Now if you can find another frame you can make a matching e-wheel...

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Hey Kiwi that thing looks amazing.
    I've seen the press in action a few weeks ago and it flexes, how thats possible is puzzling to me.
    Guess I have to make an appointment to get my hood louvered soon.

6. Zeke

Zeke

Sweet. Man I love seeing stuff like that put together.

7. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

fricken WOW!!!! totaly cool!!!

8. belair

belair

9. MCQUEEN... Here is another shot of the 34 coupe. For the full story on this project find my previous posts and look for 'Dismembered 34'
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  10. Another....[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  11. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

that is friggin killer

12. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Man that is just the coolest.

13. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

i had the privilage of seeing this thing in action a few weeks back after the primer nats, it really is a piece of art. and i really like all the finishing touches you have put on it since then. now im going to have to find something for you to louver :D

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would just like to find the old Oliver frame to use. Nothing like that around here.

15. wow that kicks ass

16. I just lucked into the frame. I was planning on building something similar from 3/8 plate when I found it. It would be pretty easy to fab something that would do the same thing and look similar.

17. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

looks Awesome kevin Great work

18. Nimrod

Nimrod

That press is a work of art!

19. It was very industrial looking before I added the aluminum panels and the superstriper Skratch did his thing. The pinstriping really added alot. Thanks again Skratch!!
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  20. Some of Skratches work....
    [​IMG]

21. titus

titus

Great job, all show and all go!

my dad built one about 30 years ago, used it to louver his 33 ford hood, hood sides, gas tank cover and his buddys A sedan parts too, then sold it to help fund some more parts on his project!

no hes building another one, but hasnt finished it yet, hes got the frame done all the hydrolics all done, now hes just got to make some dies.

then i get to use it!

jeff

22. Jimmy2bottle

Jimmy2bottle

its cool cause it looks like and old press

23. .

Thanks , good job :D

Do you have any pics of the side profile ? I can't really see the lay back after cutting / moving the windshield hole.

How much did you cut it front & rear ? I assume it's a slight wedge/Bonneville chop ?

Do you have your door tops done yet ?

24. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Kev, your garage looks as bitchin' as the 34! Love the magazine rack.

25. ditto on the 'luv it' statement....

The dies, what sort of sizes are the dies (ie how wide/tall/deep) are the dies? how well does the 'shear' feature work, does it leave a tear or barbed edge?

Similarly love the coupe, can you do a thread on it as I too would love to know about the size of the cut....

Cheers, and well done,

Drewfus:D

26. MQUEEN.... The chop is about 75% done. I don't really care for wedge chops so I made sure it came down pretty even. It's a 5" chop. The 1/4 windows and windshield frame opening measure 7". Not sure exactly how much was cut from the windshield posts as I re cut it after I sat it on to get the look I wanted. To me any chop with laid back posts is a bonneville chop. I don't have too many side shots as it's a long way from being a roller.
    Drewfus........The finished louver measures 2 3/4x 7/8x 5/16. My dies don't really sandwich the material with a perfect gap between. They just shear it and shove it into shape with the bottom die shaping the back cuve of the louver and the top die making the front edge shape. The cuts are clean as long as everything is adjusted right. Keep in mind I am no expert on this, I had never even seen a louver punched or built any dies before I took this project on but it is pretty basic stuff.
    [​IMG]

27. To lay back the posts I cut across the cowl. This way I wouldnt get bumps you get if you notch them and pull them back.[​IMG]

28. Going back together....
    [​IMG]

29. the "eliterate"redneck

the "eliterate"redneck
    BANNED

i wish i knew guys with cool names like "scrach"and "von":(

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You had better be joking about this remark.

Kiwi Kev, I'm not even worthy of licking your boots. Our '34s are sisters but mine's the homely one.