Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building my first traditional styled hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky_Scott, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

First -- let me say by building I mean more like watching in awe of Skoty Chops Kustoms fixing the cancer and straightening the body of my 1930 ford. Skoty is teaching me some welding skills along the way (awesome) and I am having a blast. I bought my motor from HandH Flatheads Forever. It's a 59a with Navarro intakes and heads--its the best of the traditional world with some nice polished upgrades. (I totally lucked out--and they have been amazing to work with -- fast, friendly and super helpful.) I will buy a 32 pinched frame and suspension from SoCal in the near future. I am here to learn and I have some great local mentors but there is always more to learn. I am building what I hope is a really nice driver (local) that can be confused for a show car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  2. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

Cool car I have a 30 coupe also

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  3. Looking like it'll be a nice build.Keep up the pics.

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  4. Subscribed!!!

Lucky_Scott likes this.

5. 55willys

55willys

Make sure that the pedals are in the right place on the SoCal frame. Most of their frames are designed for a 4" firewall set back. What trans and rear are you running? What brakes? Hopefully all traditional parts closed driveline and maybe a vintage quick change. I like what you have so far.

DualQuad55 and Lucky_Scott like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great project - good to have a shop that you can trust - be sure to do your homework and end up with the exact car that you are expecting to drive some day.

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  7. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

@55willys a quick change rear end from spadaro is the dream. Admittedly I do not have the full build plan nor the budget. Somethings I will upgrade as I can or as they break but a rear-end is not something I want to invest in twice so fingers crossed I can make it happen up front (haha -- pun intended)

8. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452973565.426676.jpg The cottage cheese like arse on my car was bugging Skoty Chops so while he was bored one morning he hand worked a few of the big dents out.

9. Welcome to the HAMB, agree with Texas Webb!

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  10. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452994117.467210.jpg when I bought the 30 (online) it had advertised new inner fender panels -- but it looked like someone had welded it with toothpaste. Skoty hand made these recess inserts. Looks so clean now -- almost a shame to paint them -- I am at least $2k in new metal for this build so far

11. 55willys

55willys

I am not sure what became of the deal that Dick Spadaro had with Winters to make the quick change center sections. Since he is not with us anymore hopefully someone else picked it up. I ended up with the last of the wide five adapters from him and now make the adapters to sell with a slight improvement of having the heads of the studs recessed on the back to clear all brake drums.

I think Rodsville does a center section for early Ford rears and you might check with Winters to see if someone picked up where Dick left off. I know that Winters sells a rear that looks like a V8 rear with the trumpet style ends and 9" Ford bearing ends. Another way to go is find a used championship quick change center section and wait for GearheadsQCE here on the HAMB to get finished with the R&D on the side plate adapters.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-quickchange-parts-for-old-style-hot-rods.1004295/

For rear end set up check out the one I did on this Model A. The start of the rear end set up starts about half way down page 1. A spring ahead design works well with a quick change or use a Model T spring with the spring behind works as well
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/29-cabriolet-build-thread.956772/

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I can help you with that rear end.;)

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  13. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

SO - NOW ITS FUN TIME ---- HAVE ---- FUN ---- YAAAA -- HHOOOO ---- COOL-- FUN -----:p:p:confused::confused::D:D;);) :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  14. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454132505.603132.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454132522.969529.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454132539.520162.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454132564.354512.jpg

Just stopped by Skoty Chops shop to see how the metal work is going

He likes doing the hard stuff first or so it seems. The beadroll near the cowl was rusted out completely -- so he created that replacement piece

The bottom of the doors (both), both back corner pieces and finishing up some connections from below and it's should be about done on the rust repairs.

I guess when they ask me if it's an all steel body my answer will be yes but mostly from this decade -- or so it feels

Probably going to do the chop in February and fill in the roof in March.

Hope everyone else is doing well

/SDL

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  15. brady1929

brady1929

Great hot rod

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  16. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

I reached the point that I had to make the choice on my chassis set up. I know the traditionalist want me to run a buggy setup but I have decided to go with a coil-overs and I am going with a T4 manual transmission with my 59a flathead. (Thus I have also changed my title.) Skoty Chops has made some beautiful welds on the rust repairs and it feels like a shame to even paint it (but I'm going with gloss black.) I think we are getting close to chopping it and I look forward to sharing those photos. No pin striping is planned -- maybe a thin line of ford green just on the black wheels.

17. nice work so far

you mentioned a pinched 1932 frame .....are you planning on redoing the rear subrails and floor? you have to to make the frame fit

18. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Have you considered not filling in the roof. A soft top is so sweet, and traditional.

19. demonspeed

demonspeed

Nice coupe, I'd be interested to see how that roof turns out with the beadrolled panel you have sitting up there. That could be a cool look.

20. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

@demonspeed -- hoping so -- I really could have gone either way -- by buying the prefab piece -- cost is about the same for either option. There is a 30 ford being built here in San Jose (with a monster hemi) -- by kingpin hot rods where he did a flat roof but still put in all the wood supports -- and he is leaving it exposed -- looks awesome. I might end up with something that looks like its confused between a 30 and 32 -- but if I was 25 in 1950 -- that is exactly what I would have built. Go figure. Hope to do the chop this month and start working on the roof in March.

21. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

@56shoebox of course I considered it -- but I am excited about chopping it and putting the bead rolled top on it too. Thanks for sharing your opinion -- you are not wrong by any stretch--I just had the desire to build it this way

22. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

@36-3window thanks for the guidance -- thankfully I working with Skoty Chops and a few friends -- they wont let me make too many mistakes -- but I appreciate your nudge. I have a good frame builder too.

23. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

Today I got on the build board for Black Board Hot Rods for my 32 pinched chassis. Gary owner/builder has been great -- super helpful thus far and I am looking forward receiving the frame in late April or early May.