Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also rides them heathen devil motorcycles?

Outback, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah a real hellion that one! You’d do well to steer clear Joey!

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great updates! Thanks for the HOT shots. I'll have some of that to do on the Chevy. Nice Chevy truck shots too. It ain't as easy to build a Chevy with next to no aftermarket backup & very outfits selling NOS parts for 20s-30s Bowties. No one said it should be easy.
    Used to go to Petaluma when I was building muzzle loading rifles. There was a guy there with lots of old parts and the skills I don't have. Utah Phillips talked about working on a duck ranch there. He said they had to wear rubber boots instead of cowboy boots. :rolleyes: He could still remember the sound of thousands of webbed feet thundering across the plains and the smell of singed feathers at branding time. :D

Jet96, Outback, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. Did someone say they need drums? 20220510_113548.jpg

Outback, Stogy, Woogeroo and 3 others like this.
  5. Nobey

Nobey

Joey, be sure and put those wheels on a hub and spin them for runout. Saves a lot of work if you have to do any straightening before paint.

Outback, Stogy, Woogeroo and 2 others like this.
  6. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

Great stuff, really enjoying the build.

Outback and Stogy like this.
  7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’ll have to see you about a pair.

Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. Nobey

Nobey

I'd like to thank the following people, (Joey, Stogy, Jeff 34, Six Ball, 97, and Hitchhiker), For giving me
    a bad case, of the Model A BUG. This pickup, as they say about A's it just came to me. The folks the owned
    him, live up in Calaveras County and called him Stanley, well the name sounded good to me, so Stanley it is.
    I can't tell you how happy I'am to have this, and look forward to a full report. Oh, that's me with the big
    grin in front of the headlight at breakfast in our little town of Springville, Ca. Thanks again guys..... Image 4-5-22 at 10.26 PM.jpg

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Very nice. A really good one of those just went to Sonora from my friends estate here.

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and Nobey like this.
  10. Dang! I've lived in Calaveras County for 60 years and I've never seen Stanley.

Stogy and Nobey like this.
  11. Nobey

Nobey

The folks lived in Mountain Ranch and drove it down to the hardware store once a week. They owned Stanley for
    five years and bought him from a gentleman that had a collection of A's. It sat outside and acquired some surface
    rust, but inside the PU is rust free, not even a pit in the frame. Engine is original to the truck and the original Ca.
    license plates came with it.

12. Great find. Congrats.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good times in Moke Hill & Mountain Ranch in the 60s when all those little towns had "celebrations" every summer. We started a Muzzle Loading Shoot that started in Mountain Ranch and moved to Railroad Flats when it got too big. I have a letter from the San Andreas town council saying if I never come back they won't press charges. :eek:

Beanscoot, Outback, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That’s awesome!

Stogy, Nobey and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. You can sneak into Moke Hill, we're still pretty backward and lawless. :D

16. Jeff34

Jeff34

What did I do??? :) Congrats! My '34 PU is named Shirley (after my cousin's father)

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I drove through on the way to a friends funeral in Vallecito a couple of years ago. So disappointed that 49 skirts all the towns now so the Flat Landers can get to their vacation homes. I'll send you a PM if I get back over there. When I was robbing stage coaches in Columbia that whole area was pretty wild still. Murphy's, West Point , even Coloma. I almost blew myself up in Moke Hill! Black powder & alcohol don't mix well unless you actually mix them, but then both are useless. :rolleyes:
    The Mother Lode had a special style of "hot rodding", cars that were built for local conditions & driven all year under all conditions by guys with little access to the after market. Some of the best mild customs I've ever see & some badd ass bare bones road worthy rods! Thunder Road comes to mind.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Outback, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

93DDF0BA-EA12-4EC1-AF44-E40587B2C3A8.jpeg Figured this felt appropriate. My buddy pulled this out the other day showing him and his buddies at opening day to the drag strip in Kansas City 1955.

the v8 version of joeys roadster would fit right in on his cross country jaunt

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Jet96, Outback, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great eye! Both David and I work to use as many original tools as possible. Most of the time it isn't to be nostalgic—it's just that they seem to work better.

Hahaha that's exactly

Gosh darn motor sickles!

Thank you! It was such a fun process, and I can't wait to get everything cleaned up, painted and ready for the road. Oh man, I knew Petaluma was the "Egg Basket of the World," but I never knew that included duck eggs!

Hot damn! If I can't wrangle any locally, I'll be giving you a call.

Yes! I plan to do that. It'll be flashbacks of the early days of the thread and my '35 Ford wires.
    PXL_20201024_195712893_Original.jpg

Thank you, Mike! Lots of fun times ahead.

More replies and a few small updates happening soon!

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That the May pose for the joey calendar? lmao

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Great seeing you & Dave @ the swap & then shop, was a great day. Digging on your project and hopefully I see it done on my next visit to Nor-Cal.
    CK.

Stogy, Outback, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Glances at my watch, hmm. Subtle breeze. I’m thinking we’ve got two to 3 hours before our update fellas.

edit:

Local reports have informed me this in fact a birthday weekend. As is such we will resume broadcast on what is called “the college Monday”

so…. Tuesday night…. Maybe Thursday morning.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Congratulations on the new machine! There's no doubt that Stanley has been well taken care of. I'm looking forward to seeing the adventures you two go on. I've always loved those ol' Phonebooths, and he looks especially at home in Springville. I'm excited for you!

Oh man, those are so good. Looks like channeling was the hot ticket. I'd run with them, for sure.

Stogy, Outback, Nobey and 1 other person like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great catching up with you too! It was a fun time at the swap for sure. With any luck, I'll be able to drive it down your way in the not-so-distant future.

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_3596.jpg
    @Tim was right—I'm way past overdue for an update. May has been jam-packed with fun, much of it roadster related. Let's jump back in.

About a month ago, I stumbled upon a set of homemade lakes headers on Instagram. The seller, Jeremy Hartley, is a central coast hot rodder who has built a long list of excellent cars, including my favorite from last year's RPM Nationals. IMG_8702.jpg
    He and his 16-year-old son built the car in their home garage. How cool is that?
    IMG_8697.jpg
    Anyways, Jeremy offered to deliver the headers on his next trip up north. He also asked if there was anything else I needed for my car. We went through my list, and he helped me check a lot of boxes.
    IMG_3631.jpg
    Highlights include headers, original Beanie caps, '32 Ford steering components, rear drums for mockup, a Fenton fuel block and a '28 headlight bar that I'm going to use as the basis for my homemade setup. Not a bad way to start a Saturday!

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

On May 12th I turned 29, so we spent the weekend celebrating with an all-out Wiffle Ball showdown in San Francisco's historic Rossi Park. At 4:45 the next morning, I went up to Petaluma for the Early Ford V-8 Club swap meet with David.
    61B9B056-07DA-478B-AF7D-EE7AEB6F79B1-1.jpg
    For the full story, check out my Jalopy Journal article here.

On Wednesday, I was back in town for the biggest day Version 2.0 has ever seen. Details to follow.
    IMG_3740.jpg

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wooo whooo! ( enthusiastically waves cap in the air)

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  28. trad27

trad27

Looking like a car now, excited for updates. Looks like the quick change came just in time, need to work on the rear suspension to balance out the mobile chassis cart lol.

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 1 other person like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Like I mentioned before, the next update is a big one. Before I jump into it, I'd like to share this post from my Instagram.
    IMG_3777-1.jpg
    "Last week I turned 29 and I was ready for it. There’s no doubt that this has been one of the biggest years for me—one full of highs, lows and change. I learned a whole lot about both myself and the world around me.

I switched jobs, learned to weld, put lots of miles on my Ironhead and Model A, tried my first oyster, raced tricycles, wrote articles, and continued to find new ways to have fun. I’m fortunate to have had the best people on my side every step of the way. A big thank you everyone for the birthday wishes, Wiffle Ball gusto, and making this year even better than last.

On a personal note, @six5monster and I hit a huge milestone on Version 2.0 of my roadster yesterday. It’s now on all four wheels and looking more like a hot rod than it ever has. This is something I’ve wanted to do since I was 10 years old, and it’s pretty surreal to see it sitting on the shop floor. We’re a lot of hours in and have a ton more to go, but I couldn’t be more excited.

Here’s to 29. We’re just getting started!"

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats, a belated Happy Birthday and the progress looks dashing...;)

Nobey likes this.