Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes! We won't be cutting any torque tubes just yet.

Man, you really lived it! The Havenscourt building is still there, believe it or not.

Thank you! Let me know if you have any recs on what brand to buy.

I completely agree. Knowledge is one of the best tools to have in your toolbox.

I'll be stick welding later this winter. I'll have to ask you for tips!

A nice set for sure. I'll have to inquire about them next time I'm up your way!

From what I can tell, they know their stuff!

Thank you! I figure I'll be building hot rods for the next 50 years or so—I might as well learn to do things the correct way now.

Haha look at that! Julian gets it, that's for sure. Thank you for making that connection. I wonder if he's still around?

catdad49, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This thread will always be about silly hats. Newsprint or not, we'll find them.

catdad49, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Things around here have been busy in the pre-Grand National Roadster Show rush. I'll be heading down there for work, but I won't be bringing my car this time around. That being said, I have been working on—and driving—it almost every day.
    IMG_1173.jpg
    Premier parking.
    IMG_1174.jpg
    Ambiance, like they say.
    IMG_1186.jpg
    Lately, my biggest project has been paining the front axle. On Sunday, I borrowed an X-Acto knife, tuned into the Hot Rod Kid Podcast and taped off the dimples. The white piece of wood is a remnant of our homemade photo both from last month.
    IMG_1187.jpg
    I have a little bit of touch up left to do, so I'll wait to post the finished product.
    IMG_1182.jpg
    There are few things better than cruising through town on a warm night in your Model A roadster.

4. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

That’s a shame you aren’t bringing your roadster to the GNRS I’d love to see it at the show, hopefully we can meet in person. See you there.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Jealous of the roadster weather! Great shots, have fun at the show I look forward to your coverage :)

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Warm night" in San Francisco? I didn't know they existed.:cool:

J.Ukrop, Malcolm, Jeff34 and 2 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well it’s 10 degrees with out the wind here, so just about anything else would qualify as a warm night to me right now lol

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Ten degrees, hell it was -19 in my little peice of heaven this morning....

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And that my friend, is one of the reason’s I’ll never move back to Iowa lol

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah hey, I've experienced three in the past six years. That being said, it was somewhere near the low 60s at night over the weekend, which was pretty good for here. With it being clear, it made for some pretty spectacular sunsets. IMG_1181.jpg
    The roadster is parked in the lot behind me in this shot. The Golden Gate Bridge is on the right of the frame.

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cool balsa wood airplane, hanging from the ceiling, reminds me of the current "Taylorcraft " that was crashed by Trevor Jacob, that is viral on YouTube right now.

Mark Twain once said
    " The coldest winter he ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco "

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  12. During the Viet Nam war I worked at pier 46A where we were refurbing WW2 Victory ships for merchant marine use. My job was to maintain all the welding equipment on the dock on night shift. Never been so cold in all my life.

J.Ukrop, Nobey, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

If it wasn't for my ten year old grandson I'd be in the Caribbean....

J.Ukrop, Dick Stevens, Tim and 2 others like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://ahrf.com/julian-doty/

Joey, Julian Doty left us at 90 years of age some time ago but certainly did the Hotrod walk...

There's some other pics at the link with his life around Hotrod but other than that pic I shared your resemblance to him stops there...;)

catdad49, J.Ukrop, moerdock and 2 others like this.
  15. cabong

cabong

Hey Ukrop !! I must confess my sin of a lifetime. There was an auction here yesterday, and lurking in it was a Model A roadster, a '30 to be exact. Very nice body, restoration started, yadda, yadda, yadda!!! Sold for 5400...... I have a nice late flattie w/3-spod tranny sitting in my garage. I bid it up, then got a case of the wobbly legs and passed. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid !!!!!!

catdad49, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 4 others like this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'll be back with full replies, but I just wanted to let you know that I have secured a gas pedal at GNRS from LA Roadsters member @tofords. When he handed it off, he said, "Out of the attic and on to the road." If that's not hot rodding, I don't know what is. IMG_1262.JPG
    Let's just say I'm finding a whole lot of inspiration out here. IMG_1238.JPG
    More later!

17. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

That RPU is beautiful.

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Love the coupe in back. I may have to find some fenders. :D
    Looking forward to pictures.

J.Ukrop, Nobey and Stogy like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And Junebugs roadster in back! The suede palace looks insane this year! Have fun :)

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

In the old days of the Oakland Roadster Show I spent as much time in the parking lot as in the show. There was no Suede Palace or even that concept. The cars inside were beyond my dreams but the parking lot was full of cars made from obtainium. :rolleyes: Especially if you had a coat hanger and a short piece of wire. :eek:

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

22. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Ah, yes, good old Midnight Auto Supply. :D

23. Nobey

Nobey

I see Honest Charlie's 41 pickup in the background, that recently spent time at Brizio's Shop, cool RPU in front.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@J.Ukrop
    That looks like a 40's pedal. Early ones have a different spoon shape. With a bit of grinder work they can look the same.

25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Here’s that tail light on its natural environment. ( a car I looked at today, GF wants a Volga like her dad had.)

Attached Files:

26. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Catching back up with this thread. Please count me in for a shirt! If you ever need welding help or advice of any process, I'll try to help you out.

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm so glad we happened to cross paths. I'm still on Cloud 9 from that show. Talk about early Iron overload!

'Twas a grand time. Beyond what I posted on Instagram, I still have some more coverage coming. I'll post some favorites on this thread tomorrow.

Great eye on the plane. There's actually a pretty funny store behind it. Back in the summer of 2019, my friend Mike and I saw an ad for an old motorcycle for sale in the Haight. The price? $20. There were two problems. One: it didn't have a rear wheel. Two: it was in a basement. The only way out? Take the stairs.

Down in the cellar, it was clear that nobody had lived there in decades. The building owner's sister, Robin, said that the tenant left all his belongings and never returned. In addition to motorcycles, he was an avid model builder. Covered in dust, the balsa and tissue paper Piper Cub hung from one of the ceiling beams by a piece of ribbon. I knew I needed it for my garage.

Alas, we weren't there for airplanes. Mike brought his own back wheel, and he and I pushed the motorcycle into the daylight for the first time in who-knows-how-long. Robin looked at us as if we had lost our minds. Maybe we had. That's her in the middle.
    IMG_1071.jpg
    Once the bike was taken care of, she invited us to go back and search for extra parts. Mike and I both collected a box full of treasures. I mentioned to him that I really liked that airplane. Without me asking, he made an offer. Robin accepted.

Every time I see that plane, I think back to the day in the Haight. Good times.

That sounds cold!

Noooooooo you should have bought it!

Right?! And the owner is right around my age. He gets it for sure.

catdad49, tofords, Six Ball and 4 others like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's getting late over here, but I hope to have some show pictures for you guys tomorrow.

Hahaha that's one way to do it. I can't even imagine going to the show in Oakland. Must have been incredible.

Great eye. I wasn't exactly sure where it was from, but the owner said it came with a bunch of '40 Ford stuff. Makes sense!

Wow! That's a rare bird right there. So neat to see it in the wild. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the top of the light might not be ribbed like it is on mine? Sooooo did you buy it?!

Thank you Pat! I most certainly will. I was just reading TRJ #26 the other day and thinking about your roadster. Between that and Reeps' pickup, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was one of my favorite articles of all time then, and it's even better now.

catdad49, Pat, Six Ball and 1 other person like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Like I mentioned above, I'll have a full update either tomorrow or Friday. In the meantime, I couldn't be happier with the latest batch of new-old parts I picked up from friends down in Los Angeles. This very well could be the most exciting piece since buying the body back on page #1.
    IMG_1595 copy.jpg
    A real-deal, filled 1932 Ford grille shell that came off an old hot rod. Full report happening soon!

30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i have used the stainless strip/ molding from a southwind heater on the top/filled section of the grill, looked great, pre-computer no pix...
    that throttle pedal is a '35, '36 car or '35 to '39 truck...
    the spoon can be downsized to look like the earlier spoons...
    i like it longer to be a better fit when driving...

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 2 others like this.