Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If you looked a little more like Squiggy that could be a scene from Lavern & Shirley. :eek:

2. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks for the Link Joey, looks like a great time away!
    I miss rides like yours, we got a 1 nighter in during June, but nothing else for a long time due to these lockdowns over here.
    The photo of your ma driving the roadster is priceless too!

Stogy, Six Ball, Jrs50 and 2 others like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, she's the coolest! We celebrated my grandma's 89th birthday over the weekend, so it was certainly a fun one.

Glad you and your wife are okay after the accident.

Won't be long and we'll all be able to hit the road again!

Tony Martino, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Exactly one year ago, I was sitting at my parents' house—and I was nervous. I was struggling with the idea of whether I should start a build thread on my car or not. By this point, I had already spent the first month tracking down the basic pieces and getting it running. I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do, but I didn't really know how to do it. I was pretty sure I was going to get laughed off the H.A.M.B. for having such a basic project. I imagined the replies piling up. Where's the complex fab work? Where's the challenge?

Well, a lot of time has passed since then. I can't remember what exactly pushed me over the edge to start it, but I do remember being hooked by @trevorsworth's build thread. With the power of the H.A.M.B., he got a flathead running with ease. With any luck, I could find success in my own way.

I won't get too sentimental here, but I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you who have helped make this car happen. I can say firsthand that this hasn't been the easiest year for a whole lot of reasons, but having this project and thread have helped me more than I put into words. You all are the best. Seriously.

Although I'm typing this from Michigan, I'll be back in San Francisco tomorrow. On Saturday, I'm heading to Petaluma to start mocking up the '32 chassis at di Falco's shop. Today I closed the loop on a very special front axle, but more on that later.

One last thing: maybe you think it's some sort of writer's ploy, but there's actually more to the story of this car and its origins that I haven't shared on this thread. I've been promising a full Jalopy Journal feature on it's background since basically day one, and as time passes we're getting closer.
    IMG_3862.jpg

IMG_8728-1.jpg
    Also, I have some fun things planned for this thread's first anniversary. Stay tuned!

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

J.Ukrop, Tony Martino, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  6. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad I could help at least a little haha. Keep at it man, you're killing it with this thing!

J.Ukrop, Stogy, Nobey and 2 others like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks for dragging this old fart along. You made my year better! I check this thread at least once every day and you have inspired me to work on my roadster, not much but more than I would have. :D

J.Ukrop, Tony Martino, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  8. Joey, I always look forward to whatever you have to say. You keep old guys like me remembering what it was like for us many years ago.

9. cfmvw

cfmvw

This is good stuff! Seeing you build something in a traditional style using parts that are around 90 years old and driving it on a regular basis is something that I enjoy and admire. Personally, I think that car is perfect just the way it is!

J.Ukrop, Tony Martino, 97 and 4 others like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My grandmother had a pickup. My other grandmother had a '40 coupe. :rolleyes:
    100_2271.JPG 100_2276.JPG

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I like the approach. This stuff is supposed to be fun not a competition as to who has cooler fab than who.

12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The H.A.M.B.'s Peanut Gallery sure is knowledgable!

Thanks Trevor! I can't wait for the day that we can both rip around in our cars. Maybe even race!

Thank you! I love hearing your SF tales and hot rod memories. Every time I walk into the garage, I'm still in awe of the Cragar cover...

Thank you, Nick. You guys really lived it. I appreciate all your help.

Thank you! I can't believe how many old parts I was able to scrounge up for this project. I'm a lucky hot rodder, that's for sure. We'll see if I can find another roadster body. If I can, I very well may keep this version as-is.

Style for miles!

I completely agree. Sometimes simple can be better. And who doesn't like having fun with old cars?!

Tony Martino, cfmvw, Outback and 3 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today's updates:

First, I wrote a little more about my trip to Michigan on The Jalopy Journal. You can find that here. Also, I got my NOS crank nut in the mail. IMG_8226.jpg
    One thing I didn't like about the aftermarket pulley is that I had to switch to a standard bolt. Well, now that the old pulley is going back on, I figured I would replace it with one that actually has all of its teeth. The original one that came with the car was just plain tired. Now I can turn the engine over with the crank again! (I wish I could start it like that, but I read somewhere that you can't do that with electronic ignition.)

I'm thinking that I'm going to spend tonight organizing parts to get ready for di Falco's. If I have some spare time, I may unbolt the pan, install that washer and try to get things back together. We shall see.

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy anniversary and thanks for the party.
    I'm thinking I may see you in a couple of weeks (grin)

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The last couple weeks I haven’t posted much as I’m mega busy and kept justifying it by thinking “meh Joey hasn’t posted on the roadster thread either” turns out I just didn’t get the notifications lol

looking good man

J.Ukrop, Outback, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I doubt that's true. I had a modernish Lada some years ago and could start it with its crank (but it just about killed me, with the 8 or 9 to one compression ratio).

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  17. Why go back to a stock pulley? The idea behind the smaller pulley is to slow the water pump down so you dont loose water out the overflow. I went with the smaller pulley and never have to add water or have I had charging issues. Nothing even goes in the overflow tank anymore. And I run it 65 on the highway.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  18. 97

Do you run a generator or an alternator? Running around town an alternator often does not start charging unless you give it an intentional burst to higher revs, at night it runs the battery down. IMHO a bigger fan/water pump pulley is a better idea if you want to slow the pump.

19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm liking the sound of this! An RPU or tub would be a good alternative too!

J.Ukrop, Nobey, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Joey, You know the connections you have made doing this build will come up with another body and probably all the flathead stuff you need. This is like a HAMB go fund me account. I don't mean that like it's a bad thing and I don't mean it like you haven't payed your way. I say it because of the good feeling I get seeing how you & the car are received by those you have shared with. Your enthusiasm and wide open approach has shaken a lot of stuff loose and many old parts and sound ideas have found a new home together. :cool:

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not up on all things mechanical not even close but I have understood Generators don't charge till rpms are fast enough and your suggesting Alternators are similar...I didn't know that, just thought they pumped out power to power all the extras in the ever changing auto scene...I am well aware there are many other details...

...since rpms are an influence on cooling I suppose it being pulley size would also alter the charging system as well...I love my generator...I have to credit the builder of my Ole Hotrod for getting it right as all systems are go Captain...:D

J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After conducting a number of tests with a multimeter, I concluded that the battery is discharging when the car is idling and it takes a significant blip of the throttle to get it charging. I pulled up a video of the car pre-pulley change and that wasn't the case.

Seeing that San Francisco is so temperate, the roadster never gets overly hot. In the year I've owned the car, it's only once puked a little bit of water from the radiator overflow line—and that is after a full morning of driving. It hasn't happened since (knock on wood.)

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you in a Headlights on state during day...I suppose so many things effect performance of systems...

I actually have a very simple system I run a cigarette lighter powered GPS and thinking draw signal / brakelights in daytime and draw wise and it has never had power issues...same puny lead acid 12v battery...

Mine is always up near 14 on the gauge...never noticed what happens at idle...your in 1940...mines 63...delco remy with 327...primitive good...I need brushes done this winter...I have a local company in mind...hope I don't lose the rock solid performance...;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I only run headlights at night. The charging system worked great for night driving, etc. prior to switching pulleys. I discussed my issue with John Babcock of PowerMaster and he too agreed that returning to the stock pulley was the way to go.

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes! I can't believe how generous everyone is. Nothing makes me happier than showing someone my car and then telling them about the people who made it all happen. I'm really excited to see what other old hot rod treasure we can dig up!

Tony Martino, Six Ball, Tim and 3 others like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's getting late here, but I have just enough time for a partial update. The big news: Version 2.0 has begun! Yesterday I brought a truck bed full of parts to David di Falco (@six5monster) shop in Petaluma. The night before, I was so excited I could barely sleep. Saturday was like Christmas!
    IMG_8413.jpg
    I told my friends on the Terrace, "Next time you see this stuff, it'll be a hot rod."
    IMG_8260-1.jpg
    The rest of the day was one for the books. It was filled with hot rods, customs, Hillbilly Crash Helmets and all sorts of crazy vintage mechanical madness. Tons of laughs and general silliness. We're kicking off a new chapter and I couldn't be more excited. IMG_8280.jpg

I’ll upload the rest of the story tomorrow.

JalopyJimbo, hfh, cactus1 and 11 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here with GPS and some gauges pretty bare bones the Inspired Sealed Beam 7" 2D1 (halogen) Headlight are pretty darn good for a generator system...one thing that may be more prevalent in the older system is some flickering or perhaps its mild surging...above my electrical data bank.

My other generator experience was my 57 Hydraglide...I remember the generator running on with the bike either stalled or some other rare anomaly...that's never happened with the Hotrod...It was 6 volt with sealed beam

Was it here we discussed polarizing after battery cables off and on? That's one thing I will have to do after the gen comes out and in...

Quite the Garage/ Shop and that 37 Custom is wild...so is the Roadster, is that the frame from your trip with Yama?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

With a generator charging varies with RPM, with an alternator it may take a blip with the throttle to excite it and get it started to charge and then the charge output is consistent, that's why they started using alternators instead of generators.

Stogy and 97 like this.
  29. 97

There was a $2k 31 Model A roadster body on Craigslist a week or so back, It was somewhere around Fresno/Turlock from memory, complete with subframe which had been either removed or it was channeled, can't remember , can't find it now!. There were some other parts with it. Looked pretty good, had some pics of bare metal and others in recent primer. Back story was he changed the body out for a 32 on the 32 frame it had been , on years ago now run out of storage. . Someone here might know about it.

oliver westlund, Stogy and Nobey like this.
  30. 97

Alternators, = more or less consistent , but simple cars do not have that much electrical going on. If I want an alternator on a Model A I will put a small compact one inside an original Model A Powerhouse generator case and extend the tin back cover to hide it. BUT I prefer a generator.
    I like that varying charging of a generator, it's more tactile instead of just the same all the time. Puts me in the time frame. I like to see that ammeter fluctuating with the other gauges, but especially at night, when the brightness of the head lights tells the story, it's my excuse to drive like a bat outta hell!. How could it be better? The faster you go the more light you need!:rolleyes::cool:
    It's the same reason to use the manual ignition control and twin Zenith updrafts with GAV and manual choke. I can find everything automatic and boring on anything made after 1970 the newer it gets the more likely you are to sleep at the wheel!

Outback, Stogy and Six Ball like this.