Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just watched this and he talks about Model A batterys draining at 43 minutes in.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs39jhYWsVU
    I've enjoyed all of his videos, they are stock style, but plenty of great info.

kidcampbell71 and J.Ukrop like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Paul is a wealth of information. His videos have helped a great deal along the way!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'd like to start off here tonight by apologizing for not updating this thread as often as I was in the past. Between starting the new job, traveling for work and having the car in a drivable state, there isn't a whole lot of wrenching going on right now. That being said, I do have some fun things to share.

Sidebar: The Ramblin' Reliability Run

Do you know the best thing to do with a running hot rod? Drive it! After two weeks in the Midwest, I was itching to get back behind the wheel and enjoy the car. I heard through the grapevine that Excelsior Coffee was having their two-year anniversary block party, and that there would be a mini car/bike show in addition to food vendors and artists. After finishing my Saturday morning chores, I walked through the apartment gathering my gear for the trip. Sunglasses? Check. Water? Check. Film camera? Check. Bucket hat? Double check. As I prepared to walk out the door, my roommate Michael asked what I was up to. "I'm going to a block party in the Excelsior," I said. "Want to come with?"

He thought about it for all of 15 seconds. "I'm in!" he replied. With that, we strolled down the stairs and hopped into the roadster.

It's important to note that I live in the Inner Richmond, which is right by Golden Gate Park. The Excelsior is to the southeast—down below Twin Peaks and Diamond Heights. What that means is that you kindof have two choices on how to get there: take the freeway (and sit in traffic) or navigate some of the city's most serious hills. We decided to go for the latter (!).

At this point, I'm getting increasingly comfortable driving the car. My shifting has improved, as has my spacial awareness. Driving by yourself is fun, but having a friend along for the ride makes it so much better. We had a blast waving at pedestrians, singing our favorite Ween tracks (no radio, remember!) and using old-fashioned turn signals (so, hand signals). The little roadster took the hills with ease, although some of the descents made me really wish I had my new brakes back from the shop that's arcing the shoes.
    IMG_6949.jpg
    Yours truly behind the wheel. (I plan to move the seat back a few inches before the big SLO trip.) Man, look at that city view! This was at the base of our old street, Corbett Avenue. The UPS driver next to us was stoked to see the car idling there at the light. With our topless A and his open truck door, it made it easy to carry on a conversation.

Just for fun, we drove past our old house; I love doing stuff like that. I wonder what I would have done if I saw a 'banger-powered Model A roadster cruising by in the summer of 2016? I know for a fact that I would have ran after it. DSC_5691.jpg
    In those days, I was putting together "Project Paperweight," a Honda CL350 built to take on the streets of San Francisco. That build taught me a lot of things, some of which I'm applying to the Model A.

We thoroughly enjoyed the block party, and the roadster got plenty of love. As luck would have it, I met a fellow SF hot rodder who—believe it or not—is building a '31 A-V8 in his garage in Noe Valley. Right before we left, he asked if he could go for a ride around the block. Of course! I had a great time showing him the high points of the build. Once I'm back from the next round of travel, I plan to head over to his place and check out his progress. Oh, and he's also building a Knucklehead chopper!
    IMG_6946.jpg
    If you're reading this thread, you know how important hot rod history is to me. In the past couple weeks, I've been zeroing in on San Francisco car clubs of yesteryear. Who were they? What cars did they drive? And—because setting is such a key piece to any story—where did they hang out? Well, through the power of the H.A.M.B., I managed to find a list of all the SF hot rod clubhouses circa 1955. I then created an interactive Google Map, which I plan to use for a future feature article.

Anyways, Excelsior Coffee put us right in the neighborhood of my favorite SF club: the Ramblers. It wasn't long before we were at 338 Brazil Street, and I backed the car into the driveway. I was hoping there would be some sort of sign: maybe a name scrawled in the concrete or a collection of oil stains in the driveway from flatheads past. Even though there weren't any of the above, I couldn't help but feel that my roadster isn't the first early Ford hot rod in that driveway. And, if we play our cards right, it most certainly won't be the last.

4. 97

WTB: Original 1932 Ford Frame. Let me know what you have!
    I just saw this sneaky signature line you slipped in here.:cool:
    Damn, I gave away the only one I ever owned. One owner, still had running gear, and a firewall and grille shell. It was given to me , I had no use for it so I gave it to someone who asked! Probably should have kept the banger and trans.
    You better find another body when you build that frame ! Preferably a 28/9 you can slip onto the banger chassis when you steal the 30 body for your post war Flathead V8 hot rod:p Maybe a winter car!
    I mean it needs a different front and rear axle , to compliment the new motor and gearbox. , in a different chassis. If you are using the same wheel stud pattern( Ford 5 on 5.5 You will have two hotrods with interchangeable wheels and possibly some other parts...what could be better than that to start a lifetime collection, if that is not on the cards I will put my hand up now as interested in the discarded banger running/chassis parts! By then I will need a hot rod to own/keep and use in the USA.

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 1 other person like this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Winter, San Jose, 1965: Reading the San Jose Mercury news, happened to read an ad in the classifieds, "Auto Parts".
    'Model A Ford frame, $5.' Listed was a San Jose phone number, so I called. Man said "Still got it, are you sure you want it?" I said, "Positive."
    It was 12 miles, so I 'hurried'...
    When I got there, he took me around the side of the house. Leaning against the fence was a '32 frame...complete with 'K' member, front and rear members also. Looked great, horns straight, etc.
    He even helped me spread a sleeping bag over the top of my '54 Ford coupe, and lift the Deuce frame up there, upside-down, and tie it securely front and back to bumpers, then ran rope thru the side windows (quarters rolled down, car was a 'Customline')
    I gladly handed him a $5 bill...
    He was glad to get rid of the 'Model A frame'!

JalopyJimbo, Outback, Tim and 6 others like this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Those were the days!

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i was dropping off a tagalong camper at a buddy's... his nephew comes out, hands on hips, swayed back and forth, says guess what i got ?
    i held back from saying AIDS ?...
    he says '34 3 window body...
    start to ask if it was a $100 body or $1,000 body...
    i got as far as $100 and he said i'll take it !... didn't have a decklid, walking towards it i see it on the trunk of another car... i gave him an extra $25...
    those WERE indeed the days...

Outback, Tim, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Free frame? I'd love one of those haha.

You caught my signature! It's true. I figure there's no time like the present to start thinking about the future. I figure it'll take me between one and two years to get version 2.0 on the road, so you know I'll be having lots of banger fun in the meantime. I tried talking my brother, @Andrew Ukrop, into putting a '28/'29 roadster body on it and driving it around Michigan. West Coast A-V8, Midwest gow-job—how fun would that be?!

Hahah that's amazing! I need to find myself one of those 1932 Model A frames. Thanks for sharing that memory with us.

Not a bad deal—not a bad deal at all!

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What's better than going to one car show? Two car shows. On Sunday morning, I made my return trip to San Francisco Ocean Beach for the July SFOB show. In true summer fashion, it was cold and foggy. I loved every second of it.

One of the funnier moments happened at the intersection of Fulton and Stanyan when I pulled up behind one of Waymo's experimental self-driving Jaguars. Amazing how much of a difference 90 years can make. Nonetheless, I'd wager that I was having way more fun!
    219899365_4832975013384440_5757047425028137519_n.jpg
    Pulling into the lot, I found a spot next to a very clean 1940 Ford. I liked to imagine that these could have parked next to each other in another life.
    7A27BCEB-1740-4D78-8719-E18054B9C806.jpg
    I especially liked how the my firewall matched their whitewalls, and how they both are running YOM plates. To be honest, I've been thinking about painting my car green. The color of that '40 really makes the copper wheels pop. Something to think about!

Let's take a walk around the show.
    IMG_6959.jpg
    I liked this flathead-powered '40, which appeared to be an older build.
    IMG_6963.jpg
    How about a mint 1932 Ford three window? Upgrades included a later flathead and juice brakes all the way around.
    IMG_6967.jpg
    This '60s-style '32 was running a healthy 396. Extra points for piecrust slicks. IMG_6965.jpg
    My dad always says this when he's behind the wheel, which is often.
    IMG_6970.jpg
    Of all the cars at the show, I'd say Brien Jones' '41 Plymouth had my pick. The chop is spot-on, and I love how he retained so much of the original brightwork. While talking to Brien I learned that there's an early Hemi beneath the hood. It's the perfect powerplant for this one-of-a-kind kustom Mopar.
    IMG_7053.jpg
    After a very fun morning hanging out with a whole lot of friends, I hopped in the A and headed towards home. (Yama's girlfriend, Lyndsie, snapped this great shot of me wearing my roadster hat and smiling at my car [?])

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Seeing that I was in no particular hurry, I swung through one of my favorite stretches of Golden Gate Park. IMG_6988.jpg
    Although a backdrop like this is commonplace in other parts of the country/world, it's a little harder to find in San Francisco. I'm a fan of the rustic setting!
    IMG_6989-1.jpg

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Back at home base, I finally started painting the interior satin black. We’re a long ways away from upholstery, but this gives it more of a finished feel. I've just been applying coats as time allows. (This was before coat #1 had dried). IMG_6995.jpg
    Also, in my travels, the crack on the passenger-side windshield post had gotten worse. After talking to Yama, we decided that there's no time like the present to fix it. I'm going to be up in Seattle/Puyallup this weekend for work, but he said he can take it on with his new TIG welder while I'm away. Such a great friend!
    IMG_6993.jpg That's all for now!

12. 97

The "hang up and drive" bumpersticker, , I saw them back in 2008 when I was driving up through WA on my way to BC. I tried to buy some to bring home to NZ , never did find them, BUT yes I yell it out to blatant phone jockeys all the time.
    As far as your windscreen post goes, I thought it was the frame that was broken? That post looks like it has been welded and over-heated in the past, looks like the metal has crystalised. You may have to look for another one.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The black '40 reminds me of my brother's '39 standard that we drove from Texas to the SF Bay Area in '58. He was 18 and I was 13. Lowered, white walls, moons, , flathead. It was that clean but primed. The next year he gave me a $15 '38, so the brother's coupes ravaged the East Bay for a few years. :rolleyes:

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe I'll have to make my own bootleg copies and get you some.

Yes, the windshield frame was broken, but David di Falco brazed it back to health. There was a slight crack in this post that has been gradually getting worse. We're going to try TIG and then if that doesn't work, we'll braze or find another solution.

It's funny how I went out of my way to get an old chrome chopped windshield setup only to have to repair 2/3rds of it. I'm not complaining—it's one of my favorite elements of the car.

You guys had all the fun! A slammed, fat-fendered Ford is always a winner in my book. Maybe you've seen it, but I've always loved Joe Barnett's heavily raked '40 coupe. I'll try to send you a picture when I'm back home with my magazine collection.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, Tim and 2 others like this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nothing to report at this point today, although I am in Puyallup taking some flathead notes... IMG_7108.jpg

Outback, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"You guys had all the fun!"

That trip wasn't all fun but it was memorable. Sadly this is the only picture I have of my brother's '39 in my grandparent's driveway in Pittsburg. I have none of my '38, we didn't all have cameras in our pockets back then. The little girl in the picture is now 65. The 4 door 56 Chevy was a sleeper!

100_2304.JPG

Outback, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

You were in Puyallup?
    Why that's only a hop, skip and a jump away from me! Well, other than the ocean and a (closed) international border.

41 GMC K-18 and J.Ukrop like this.
  18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

"In true summer fashion, it was cold and foggy."

I'm curious what you consider cold.
    I see car gathering pics of guys wearing coats (in July).
    Guys here would probably be wearing shorts and a T-Shirt saying great day.

I'm holding my chuckle card to play with your answer.

Outback, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brings to mind the quote attributed to Mark Twain but apparently not true BUT still appropriate.
    "The coldest winter of my life was the summer I spent in San Francisco"

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My spies tell me that our young Joey is off having roadster fun in the pacific north west!

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The coldest winter of my life, so far, was the one I spent in Bozeman, Montana and I left on December 2nd. :eek:

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Coldest I can remember was a few years before I left Iowa to move south. -60 with the wind chill.

For some visual context that’s cold enough that the Missouri River which had been frozen thick enough to drive on for months at that point had 100 ft tall heat fog coming off of it! Drove over the bridge and couldn’t see a dang thing.

same summer was 120 with the heat index. Enough humidity to be a fog. 180 deg heat shift in 5 months is enough for me to move a couple hours south haha

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I sure was. Over the weekend, I made the trip north to cover the Goodguys show with RideTech. It's beautiful up there. When the world's more open, I'll give you a shout when I'm in the area. I'm also going to be spending some time at @Hitchhiker's place!

Hahah okay, okay. Cold is subjective. I spent my first 18 years in southeastern Michigan, then the next four in Missouri, so I get a little bit of street cred for being, um, chill? That being said, San Francisco summers are our coldest months. The day usually starts in the 50s and warms to the mid-60s. Once afternoon hits, the fog rolls back in and we're back in the 50s. Don't get me wrong, the weather's never "bad" here. There are sometimes I do really wish we could have a warm night where I can drive the roadster in a T-shirt. I also had to buy shorts when I started my new job; I have had no use for them here in my six years in the city!

Also of note, we have an app to track our microclimates called Mr. Chilly. It's so absurd and so SF. I love it.
    220181867_566367388071493_1457685045715746882_n.jpg

Hahaha although my dad's slogans deserve a thread of their own, he always says that one. We're big Mark Twain fans at the Ukrop house.

Oh jeez. That sounds intense. Speaking of Montana, I spotted this this weekend and instantly fell in love. If I ever have a family, this is what we're going to drive to hockey practice in.
    IMG_7186.jpg

Damn. That sounds like no fun. Maybe summer days in the 50s aren't so bad after all hahah

Outback, warbird1, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Your spies were correct! There were a whole lot of highlights, from spending time in Seattle with old friends to enjoying some local restaurants. I love it up there in the Pacific Northwest, especially in the summertime.

For me, one of the high watermarks took place Saturday afternoon. At the tail end of my workday, I was able to meet up with fellow moderator @Paul. It seems as if every project he builds is better than his last, which is saying something because all of his cars are spot-on. Luckily for me, he sped over in his daily driven T roadster, complete with Oldsmobile power. It was very neat to ask him questions about how the car came together, and to take notes on what pieces were used where.
    IMG_7152.jpg
    Oh, and he even let me try it out for size. Thanks again, Paul!

The build was covered extensively on the H.A.M.B., but it's getting late here and I'll add the link tomorrow.

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Back in Jalopyland, I managed to score the perfect side mirror off FB marketplace. Although I don't know what type of car it came from, I can tell you that it's definitely British. It's a great fit—no drilling required. IMG_7201.jpg
    Tomorrow, I'll share a funny grocery store story and add a few more things. Until next time!

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fit Right into a Snap hole!!!...Voila!!

I like the reflection...time for some Coke and tin foil...but don't make it too shiny...its vintage Hamb Tech @RiffRaffRoadster utilized.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    J.Ukrop likes this.
  27. 97

[​IMG]
    You have great taste in cars Joey, I have one of those, mine is a 58 GMC and was a prison van in Louisiana. Still has signwriting ( under a brushed on black "spot" on the doors). It also has a grille /grating between the front and the back. I was told it was used to take prisoners out in chains to work on the roadsides cleaning up trash and discarded stuff from travelers cars. I bought it in Baton Rouge, got it as far as my friends place in New Orleans , and I have not been back to get it. He however has been tagging it and using it every year, luckily he has a large storage with high walls and lots of cool cars. I have asked him before to join HAMB , I will ask him to post a pic here.

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Good to meet you too Joey!

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since its British, don't let it ANYWHERE near your electrical system. Don't want any Lucas contamination. :cool:

30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If Lucas had been present when God said. "Let there be Light!" ............:D
    Actually I never had any more of a problem than with anything else but then I started with 6v positive ground Fords. :rolleyes:

Trade you some hot smoke for some cool fog. I do miss the fog except when the dampness swelled the wood on my Morris Minor Traveler and made the back doors hard to open & close.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021