Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Also! I drove the car for the first time with the wood structure partially in place. It is indeed way better. I can't wait to get the rest of that sorted out. Soon!

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually the A Bones had a magazine full of nails in the door post...maybe one of those nail guns might just work but the heads are kinda funky...

Jrs50, Six Ball and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. Nobey

Nobey

I admire your craftsmanship and patience on your Chevy build, Six Ball....

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    J.Ukrop likes this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That was a picture of someone else's wood. I just stole it somewhere. Mine still looks more like a tree.

Outback, guitarguy, Nobey and 6 others like this.
  5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I bet it looks great!

Nobey likes this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Not much time to work on the car today. I did apply some spar urethane to the floor, and I'll be doing the same tomorrow. There's no doubt that one of the biggest highlights was sending @Tribalmonkey his windsheild frame for his up-and-coming roadster project. In that same batch, I shipped a Stromberg to @nickthebandit for a little parts-swap. IMG_5634.jpg
    Power parking at the Post Office in a pre-war Ford. That's my update for tonight. More soon.

7. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Haha! That is awesome! Fun being on vacation with the family and knowing that I have a Ukrop roadster windshield frame in the mail. Let me know if you need me to send any rust from ‘Ratty’ your way. I have plenty. Cheers! TM

Attached Files:

Outback, enloe, The 39 guy and 3 others like this.
  8. RodStRace

RodStRace

So, did you steal the paint style from the USPS or did they steal it from you?:D
    That package on the seat looks like a before from the "mangled" files. Hope it arrives okay.

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'll have one of those next time I'm in Maryland!

The paint scheme was a collaboration! Don't worry, I've done a lot of shipping both personally and professionally over the past six years. On a big item like this, I use a similar approach to my roadster project. Rough on the outside, well-built on the inside. Besides, having a rougher exterior helps dissuade the porch pirates.

kidcampbell71 and Six Ball like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have a whole lot of updates to post later today, but since it's 68 degrees and sunny I'm about to head outside. Earlier this morning, I drove the car downtown to take a picture for a San Francisco Heritage photo contest. TJ Contest.jpg
    I wonder if this car has been parked here before? Tommy's Joynt has been a San Francisco institution since 1947.

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great photo! Great sign. When I was a kid we made many trips between our home in Texas and my grandparents place in Pittsburg CA. My folks drove "straight through" because we didn't have the money to stay in a Motel. $ 5-6 back then. We started out with a big box of fried chicken, a couple of dozen boiled eggs and a Desert water bag hanging from the mirror. I had my dad wake me up when we went through towns at night so I could see the neon signage. Pure art such color in a time when TV and most movies were black and white. Very high tech with moving images, cowboys roping steers,Indians shooting arrows at buffalo, planes with turning props, oil wells with oil gushing out......Even the small business signs lit the night.

12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you for bringing us all back to a different place and time. I (obviously) wasn't around for the golden age of neon, but this post made me feel like I was.

During my Missouri journalism days, I dug up the history of the Arrow Head Motel for my first full-length feature. Through my reporting, I learned a whole lot about both writing and mid-century Americana. I figure you might get a kick out of the article, which can be found here.
    Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 2.49.49 PM.png
    (All my photos of the place are on my old computer—this one came from the Internet).

There's a sub-story about this sign that ties back to this very Model A project, but we'll dive into that another day.

enloe, The 39 guy, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As promised, we have progress. First and foremost, I've been driving this car a lot. It seems as if every day there's somewhere new to go or a friend to take for a ride through the Richmond, down Clement, up Arguello, through the Presidio, out on Marina Boulevard, etc. etc. Little adjustments have been made here and there, but I'm feeling much more comfortable behind the wheel. Even in traffic, believe it or not.
    IMG_5664.jpg
    On Friday afternoon, I got to live my dream—drive the car to an estate sale. My destination? The Sunset. The plan? Rummage through a bunch of old stuff. What could be better than that?! IMG_5670.jpg
    After the sale, I set up an Instagram live-stream of my drive home. (Thank you everyone who tuned in.) I was very happy that I had the correct hat for the weather conditions. That being said, I need to add some good sunblock to the tool kit!
    IMG_5660.jpg
    I picked up a few new (old) twigs for street hockey. One was even a homemade CCM! Other treasures included a sheet of polished stainless steel, some vintage tools and a Stewart-Warner grease gun. The seller said he used it on his dad's 1955 Buick back in the day. IMG_5773.jpg
    I'm going to clean it up and put it back into service ASAP.

Back at Home

I've taken advantage of these sunny days by finishing the floor. I'm very happy with how it turned out. And, best of all, it makes the car far more functional. I even picked up an era-correct toolbox to keep back there. My plan is to bolt it to the floor (position not finalized yet) and keep a tool roll inside. That way it will be one less thing rattling around.
    IMG_5674.jpg
    The floor was made in three pieces; I cut holes to easily access the junction block and chassis ground while on the go. In the not-so-distant future I'm going to build the lower rumble seat/crossmember cover.

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My roommate Michael was leaving for a work camping trip on Saturday morning, and he asked if we could take the roadster to his office. He hasn't ridden in it since the day I got it running back in August. With the sun out and the air warm, we made our way into the big city.
    IMG_5690.jpg
    After a little while on Fulton, we eventually moved West on McAllister. No matter where we went, people laughed, smiled and pointed. While idling at a stoplight in the Fillmore, a woman waiting at the bus stop looked at us and started singing. "Loooord won't you buy me, a Mercedes-Benzzzzzz," she belted with big gospel energy. We clapped and cheered as we rumbled towards the forest of concrete and glass. IMG_5696.jpg The car performed great in town. As a matter of fact, we even arrived early. All smiles.
    IMG_5693.jpg
    I can't tell you how good it feels to have this car out on the streets on a sunny San Francisco day. Hearing the rap of the 'banger echo off the big buildings was definitely something I've dreamed of since the day I started this project.

15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Other weekend highlights included running into a fellow hot rodder during my Saturday evening drive through the Presidio. I was bombing up a hill when I noticed a familiar shape parked in a driveway. Skrrrrrt. IMG_5752.jpg
    The owner, Sean, lives down the peninsula. The blown smallbock sounded mean and the piecrust slicks were a nice touch. As I was parking, I heard a terrible *thunk* from my driveline I was convinced that something bad had happened. After a moment of panic, he told me not to worry—it just popped out of reverse. After a quick hot lap of the parking lot, I was super relieved that he was right. Talk about having the right person there at the right time!

I spent a few minutes tonight shaping the missing piece of the wood bracing. It's getting close. Once I finalize it, it'll be ready for stain and varnish. Soon! IMG_5770.jpg

16. 97

As I said about 10 pages back , Exhaust done...moving on.
    I am sure it is not as obnoxious as you thought back then, you are obviously getting used to it and it is sounding like Model A music now. BUT we need that "Instagram live" moved to Youtube for those of us who are in denial of social media! I have to jump through hoops , invite my daughter over and make her dinner to see any of that stuff!

As for the ghost of Janis past bursting into song at the sight of a Model A highboy banging its way through Frisco traffic, what else do you expect ? The link was perfect timing for me while I made my late dinner!:)

Outback, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

850C0CA2-1103-4001-A106-8192F96869E2.jpeg

Different tool box mounting idea.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think they make/made a tool box that fits between the front frame horns and follows the shape of the horns so it’s not even noticeable as a tool box.

either way thanks for the updates!

19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be sure to try the buffalo stew at Tommys Joynt, its great, when you get a chance, check out Swan Oyster Depot, at 1517 Polk Street, 94109, parking is a hassle but well worth your time to enjoy another San Francisco tradition !

enloe, winduptoy, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple of thoughts/observations. Your photo of being in traffic reminds me of the time I spent 2 weeks TDY for leadership training at the Presidio in the early '70's. Traffic in the City sucked even back then. As far as the tool box goes, I wouldn't bolt it down. There may come a time when you need to make a repair to another vehicle and it would be easier just to take the whole box to the car not just the tool roll. I'm sure you can fab up some type of latch mechanism to keep the box from sliding around but that would still allow for the box to be easily removable.
    And one more question, how is it that you always seem to find a spot to park to take photos? Like traffic, parking sucks in the City. JMO

21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"VELCRO " is an amazing application that is hidden under the tool box, that stuff is strong, just a thought, so that you don't have to drill any holes !
    VELCRO comes in several different grades!
    ( The heavy duty industrial grade, will hold that tool box in place snugly, with confidence )

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  22. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use your hood hold down latches to make it removable? That’d be cool…

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My first thought was a magnet but I like the idea of using model A hood latches. Could screw them to the floor and then put model A hood side lips /catches on the box.

my second thought was a Dzus quarter turn faster on each side of the bottom of the box. That’s a lot of hills for velcro or a magnet to hold heavy tools in place

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great progress and updates.
    Estate sale: One man's trash is another man's junk! :rolleyes:
    The drives are really cool with your notes.
    I like the latch idea for the tool box. Hood latches or something similar to the lid latches on the box. Lots of those available on eBay.
    Thanks for the link to your story about the Arrow Head Motel.
    Every 2 years we go to Texas for a family reunion and usually drive. This year we'll fly because I'm having a hard time finding a house setter. We try to stay and eat in old places partly because we didn't do that much when I was a kid. On the last trip we found the El Vado in Albuquerque. They have done a great job of updating the rooms and keeping the feel. The little car ports, model A size, are now mostly part of the rooms. Not cheap but worth it for a night. We had originally booked at the Monterey which was still pretty rough and we were the only customers. They moved us to the El Vado, same owners, almost adjoining. There are places to get food & drink on site. The Monterey sign was being returned from restoration the next day when we left. I hope they can attract business and save these places. https://elvadoabq.com/stay/
    I remember places and whole towns along 66 that no longer exist and some that are abandoned and repurposed. There is sadness in the trip but I still love it. It's deep inside I guess that is why I teared up the first night I walked into Cars Land and saw all the neon.:eek::)

J.Ukrop, Tim, Jrs50 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve watched videos of them turning the neon on at cars land a dozen times. Magical for sure. Someday I’ll see it in real life :)

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. cfmvw

cfmvw

I was thinking leather straps to hold the toolbox in place, maybe with a wood frame for it to sit in so it doesn't slide around. Glad to see you are having so much fun with your project!

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yep, you nailed it! Baffle set #3 really did the trick. Sweet banger staccato. 1243...1243...1243...

Don't you worry about the IG Live. I'm actually planning on doing a one-year roadster anniversary live event on YouTube later this summer. It's still in the early stages, but you guys will be the first to know when/if it comes together.

Great ideas with the toolbox. It's funny that you guys mention this. I fully intended to build a spreader bar for the front of the car until I realized that if I did, it would no longer fit in the garage. How so? Well, the way it tucks in there, the Gopher Motor actually sits partially between the front frame rails. It makes for one snug garage! Maybe if I move I'll switch things up.

Mmmmm I'll have to give the stew a shot. I'm sure it's delicious. There's talk of getting oysters with some friends on Thursday. I'll have to add Swan to the list.

Good call on the not bolting it down. I'm going to take everyone's ideas into consideration and we'll make something work.

I'm sure SF was a wild place back in the '70s, and I can only imagine the traffic. Probably lots of smog too.

Hah, that is a great question. All I can say is that I learned from the best. Lindsey (who you may remember from about 10 pages back) is the best parallel parker I've ever met. She can sniff out a spot in any neighborhood during any time of day or night. Although she drove a Subaru, I've implemented the same techniques and I've had some pretty good luck thus far. You should see the crowd this thing brings when I parallel park it—especially on a hill!

Velcro is a great idea!

Also a great idea. I do have some 1940s leather belts that I plan to use for my door check straps...

I like these ideas too!

IMG_3615.jpg
    Great memories of an incredible era. I remember seeing the El Vado pre-restoration on a family trip to New Mexico in 2010. During my TRJ cross-country blast in 2019, I was able to enjoy the revamped signage. I am going to make it a goal to stay there on one of my next visits.

I just watched that. So neat!

Outback, enloe, The 39 guy and 6 others like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After considering all of your excellent suggestions, I think I've come up with a toolbox mounting solution. Remember the old "Tank-Traps" that I got at a Michigan garage sale early in this thread? Well, it looks like I'm going to put them into play. I'll notch the sides of the toolbox so that they can grip it from either side. Quick, easy, sturdy and era-correct.
    IMG_0348.jpg

29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today I was able to pick up a piece of the puzzle that has been missing since day one: the stainless cowl band. After posting a want-ad on Facebook, 'banger guru Todd Benston hit me up saying he had a bunch of them. Best of all, he's located about an hour and a half away in the Santa Cruz mountains. This morning, I paid him a visit.
    IMG_5822.jpg
    Todd was gracious to show me his incredible collection of early Ford treasure, which includes everything from his 'banger-powered Model A roadsters to an in-progress Deuce that his dad pulled out of a San Francisco basement in 1973. Best of all, Todd took the time to answer all of my 'banger questions, which ranged from high-compression head inquires to transmission specs. One thing is for sure—I'll be back.
    IMG_5817.jpg
    When I got home, I discovered that my first tack strip had arrived safely. I got a great deal from a fellow Ford Barn member. I'll share the full story at a later date.

JalopyJimbo, enloe, OFT and 13 others like this.