Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It's hard to do that with a single cylinder. I tried talk my friend out of his knucklehead. It was only running on one cylinder anyway. :rolleyes:

Outback, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 1 other person like this.
  2. 97

Here is another you tube from Mart, playing in his 33 coupe which had that one sided motor.

3. Chalkie

Chalkie
    from England

The vhra run a class for v8 but only on 4 cylinders. V4 class think this is only for pendine but I'm sure @Mart will chime in with some useful knowledge :)

Outback, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  4. 97

Ha ha , yes V4 is a standard class around the landspeed world. V4 for vintage four cylinder (mostly Fords)...in other words bangers.
    Flathead V8s have enough trouble keeping up with Bangers using all 8 cylinders without turning 4 off and adding the parasitic drag of those four pistons.
    See post 1010 of this thread
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...n-san-francisco.1204990/page-34#post-14009028

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Chalkie like this.
  5. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Looks like fun! Been awhile since I've seen an SF build!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  6. 97

Here is something to keep you all entertained while Joey is away . Model A related, YouTube video from Hamber Will Kimble. He wrote the song and posted it about 8 years ago , just came across it tonight reading some old Banger Meet posts.

Stogy, dwollam, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_5551.jpg
    Hey everyone, I'm back in San Francisco! For those who are interested, you can check out some of the hot rod-related pieces of my trip on The Jalopy Journal here. I'll also add some highlights to this thread later this weekend. It's a sunny Saturday morning, so I'm about to head down to the garage. I will keep the ball rolling by sharing a few treasures that came in the mail while I was away.

Yes, it was like Christmas when I opened up the package from @Hitchhiker. I never imagined I'd have an old chrome timing cover. I can't wait to bolt it on!

8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I had no idea that something like the Hot Rodder's Magazine Index existed. A very useful resource!

Is the timing cover a stock one that's been polished and chromed? Must have been done a long time ago.

Six Ball, 97, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. 97

Check the cam spring and plunger is up to spec when you change that cover, it will adversely affect your timing and possibly damage cam and distributor/drive if the spring is weak or broken or the plunger is worn. I suspect if there is one already in the cover from Hitchhiker it will have been checked , but as we all know a good Banger mechanic checks everything himself, TWICE before assembly.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Looks like the museums alone were worth the trip. Cool new parts! It looks like some folks are trying to make the banger more attractive as a keeper. :rolleyes:

Outback and Stogy like this.
  11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I didn't either! My good friend Kerry sent it to me. He has an amazing magazine collection and has been helping me out with mine. I'm lucky!

And yes, it's a stock cover that was chromed back in the day. I searched high and low for one to no avail. Like my dad used to say, "Not available at any store at any price." I'm so grateful that Matt was willing to dig it up for me. There's traces of old metallic red paint on the back side. Looks like it came off an old hot rod!

Good call. I inspected the old spring while the cover was off last month and it seemed to be the exact same as the repo one I recently purchased. That beings said, I'll compare them again while doing the chrome cover install.

The museums were amazing. I learned so much and enjoyed every second of it. IMG_5527.jpg
    You know it's a quality display when you can spend close to 45 minutes studying three cars.
    IMG_5511.jpg
    Some incredible craftsmanship here. IMG_5499.jpg
    This was built on a stock Deuce frame. You can definitely see some '33 elements on it, even though it was built the year before.
    IMG_5522.jpg
    I thought this was a neat image of the '34 Speedster in the modeling stage.

12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh, while I was home, I also did a little bit of Craigslist searching. One afternoon, my mom and I drove over to the neighboring town of Plymouth, Michigan, to pick up some vintage literature. I had never heard of "A" Quail Call before, but since it was the "Special Speed Issue" it was a logical addition to my collection. The gentleman who we bought it from is a longtime hot rodder and automotive enthusiast. He had a Model A sedan and a '40 Ford coupe a long time ago, and he now owns a '37 Chevy and a garage full of other interesting machines.

Some highlights from the issue. Note the Cragar side cover! IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday I was able to turn a few wrenches on the car. After an afternoon driving it around town running errands, I decided to tackle the rear lunchbox latches. Measure once—drill a bunch of holes.
    IMG_5558.jpg
    The left one went on with ease and latches nicely. Unfortunately, since the decklid is warped, the second one didn't really go as planned. It's all lined up, but it won't fully latch.
    IMG_5560.jpg
    I'm thinking that I can adjust the rumble hinge placement a little on the driver's side to help bring it down. I also tried kneeling on it, which helped straighten it out a little.

My other install yesterday was far more successful. Having a rearview mirror is a game changer!
    IMG_5562.jpg
    I wasn't very impressed with the provided hardware, so I dug up some vintage nuts, bolts and leather washers to backdate it a bit.
    IMG_5561.jpg
    I proceeded to road test it and it stays in place. Nice!
    IMG_5555.jpg
    My roommate Michael making important phone calls from the San Francisco Roadster Command Center (TM). No wi-fi in there though!

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

On Sunday afternoon, I managed to score a great deal on the wood for the rear floor of the car. Rather than going to a lumber yard, I drove across the Bay to El Sobrante. The seller was a retired carpenter who made his living building high-end cabinets. He and his wife taught me how to study the grain by laying the pieces out in the driveway. I told them I was using them for my Model A project, and they said I better pick the best ones!
    IMG_5577.jpg
    Next, I'll be making templates and cutting them to shape. Then they'll be stained and sealed to match the front floor...
    IMG_5567.jpg
    ...the front floor that will eventually be covered by this mat. I laid it out in the sun yesterday to help flatten it out.
    IMG_5578.jpg
    Last but not least, I was able to do one of my favorite hot rod activities—drive to the grocery store!

Other updates: my rear shoes are currently in line to be arced. My wood kit has unfortunately gone missing, even though it was marked as delivered on Thursday. I'm going to call the Post Office to see if I can find out where it went. Pretty frustrating but I can't let it get me down. One day at a time!

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Joey
    Not sure this is directly applicable to your current issue but I had a body man once show me how to correct a mismatch on a trunk lid by placing his wallet in the opening jam by partially (cautiously) closing the lid, worked great on this particular example.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The adventure continues.

I think using my old cars like cars, groceries ect, is my favorite as well

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Stogy, J.Ukrop and trevorsworth like this.
  18. Hell yeah brother! Glad it made it safe! That timing cover came out of a guys early ford collection that he had been hunting and collecting since about 1955. I was able to aquire all of it when he went into the nursing home. Glad it's going on a worthy car! Dibs if you ever want to sell it back( my wink and laughing emoji didn't work)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Outback, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  19. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Rear view mirrors......

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  20. Man, that is funny as hell! So they spend all that effort to get the panels lined up and then your buddy slaps the dash while you are driving and gets your body out of whack.
    That dude with the tan car, man he is slamming the hell outta those doors!

21. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know it’s a little off topic, but I have always loved the plucky little Trabant. I will own one some day…

Stogy, RodStRace and J.Ukrop like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's a bold strategy. I may have to see if it'll work!

It's the dream!

Hahaha that video is insane!

It's such a treasure. I never thought I would end up with this many original vintage pieces for this car.

I've been driving an Italian Model A this whole time!

Man, I was slamming some doors (not that hard) last night trying to get everything aligned. Progress!

I'll tag along for the Trabant build thread (probably on a different forum haha).

Stogy, Six Ball and RodStRace like this.
  23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Remember when I said that the wood kit was missing? Well, after walking five miles to visit two post offices on foot, interviewing four postmen and spending more time than anyone should standing on a stranger's front porch, I trudged up the cul-de-sac feeling defeated. But, as I climbed my steps, what did I see? "No way! It's the wood kit!"

Here's my conjecture. There's a possibility that the package was delivered to a different address, sent back to the post office and re-delivered. Regardless of what happened, all the employees were extremely helpful. I'm glad that the whole thing worked out. What an adventure!

Naturally, I started piecing together the wood. It took a few tries to figure out where everything went, but it looks like it'll be very sturdy. I have to replicate that top piece for the passenger side, because my used kit didn't come with one.
    IMG_5599.jpg
    The wood will be massaged further and later stained and sealed. As you can imagine, these simple pieces add a great deal of strength to the body. I can't wait to get the tack strip on there for that same reason.

Sharp eyed readers will also notice that I now have a registration holder on the column. I've always loved these, and I figured a vintage one would be perfect for my car. Don't worry, I have the original documents hidden in a more secure space.

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

With the body situation improving, I spent way longer than I should have reworking the passenger side door last night and today. It'll still require some additional love, but I believe it's heading in the right direction.

While we're talking about the finer details, I managed to get going on the trunk/rumble seat floor. IMG_5600.jpg
    Mocking it up in cardboard.
    IMG_5612.jpg
    Crossmember clearance. I'll post some shots of it all in place tomorrow.

25. RodStRace

RodStRace

You could do the Blues Brothers thing and have a fake registration in there, with Candlestick Park's address. I don't care what the name is now, it's Candlestick!

Stogy, Six Ball, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

On a Ford you put the wood in the metal. On a Chevy you put the metal on the wood. 32 chev restoration 215.jpg

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hope you’ve got a good stapler @Six Ball !

Stogy and Speedy Canuck like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I wish my roadster's wood was that close to being ready for metal wrapping. You know a good stapler might work. They used hundreds of tiny nails.

Stogy and Tim like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah maybe I'll have to sign it over to Floyd Lippencott...IV
    freight-train.jpg

Wow, that's like owning a Chris Craft for the street!

A stapler sounds better than tiny nails!

Six Ball, Tim and Stogy like this.
  30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today's garage time was dedicated to the lumber. I finished cutting, shaping and sanding all three pieces of the rear floor. I'll be using stock-style hardware to hold them in place. All holes were countersunk, just like on the front floorboards. Unfortunately I only took one photo of the first coat of stain. It's now wearing at least three. IMG_5617.jpg
    Tomorrow, I'm breaking out the spar urethane. Do you like my sawhorses?