Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After work today, I decided it was time to take version 1.5 on its maiden voyage. The air was warm and the sunlight was golden. It felt like the perfect, low-stress opportunity to give it a shot. I poured a couple gallons of gas into the tank, got everything ready and I fired it up. I know I've been promising you guys a video for the past week or so. As luck would have it, my good friend Elise was over and recorded this clip of the car in motion. I'd be lying if I said I didn't re-watch it about 12 times already.

I'll get into a more in-depth analysis later on, but I just wanted to report that the car ran great. Even though it still needs some tuning, I am very happy with how it performed. Best of all? It didn't stall on the hills—even with 1/4 tank of gas. Nothing leaked and nothing fell apart. That's reason to celebrate!
    IMG_3863.jpg
    Catching the golden hour on the USF campus.
    IMG_3864.jpg
    Straight pipes, stance and shadow.

It was incredible to drive this car as a hot rod. I can't tell you how good it feels to finally have it out of the garage/driveway and onto the street. Thanks to today's excursion, I'm all fired up about ironing out the details. All in good time. I'll chalk today up as a huge victory. Thank you everyone for sticking with me!

2. Budget36

Budget36

Might try some of that flex stuff that goes from air cleaners to exhaust manifolds on pre-efi cars. I forget what it’s called, might hold its shape well enough.

Outback, Tim, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. It is going to be tough to have an exhaust fabricated and then bring it home for an easy install.
    Much more likely to actually work is to get the car to the muffler shop, show them what you would like and let them do their professional/experienced thing.

Woogeroo, jim snow, Tim and 5 others like this.
  4. RodStRace

RodStRace

I agree that the Thermal Air Cleaner (TAC) flex tubing is an excellent way to convey bends in pipe or radiator hoses. To add on, since this is such a tight and exacting bend, you can make up a flange for the header out of stiff cardboard, fit up the flex stuff, then Papier-mâché the whole thing to have a stiff, solid reference.
    If the shop can do the flange loose, it will allow some rotation to fit best and get the horizontal right. You can measure the angle of the bend, get the section of pipe bent, then bring it home, fit it and mark where to weld on the flange, too.

Vintage style would be to have a short section of exhaust flex tube. It would put less stress on the header too, with a couple muffler hangers.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...91047/walker-steel-flex-pipe/wal0/36319?pos=1

You are going to have to lower that seat a bit to fit with the top on! The trials of fitting into a cool ride!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need a brodie knob after watching you crank the wheel to maneuver to head down the street.:cool:
    Brodie Knob.jpg

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like ALL of the pictures. A mullet is better than no hair at all! :rolleyes:

J.Ukrop and RodStRace like this.
  7. RodStRace

RodStRace

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  8. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

During the 30 years I was selling tools I probably had as customers 10 shops that were Exhaust/Muffler Shops. Of those, 2 or 3 couldn’t have hung a muffler out their ass, let alone a car! There were two though that were magical, one was even named Muffler Magic. The owner, Jr, used gas welding filler rod to bend a guide for where the tubing needed to be, and then he’d use it on his bender to get the exact shape. He would bend the wire on the inside radius of bends and on the top of the pipe. That helped him visually to see how the tubing needed to be bent. I watched him do it the same way for years, and every time he would hire a new young kid he would teach them his method. He told me that he always placed the exhaust exit tip first, header or down pipe next, muffler where it fit, then filled in the pipe last. He said it was like a trip, you needed to know where you wanted to get before you started to go! That being said, I also agree that you would probably be better off taking your car to a shop, as long as they are a shop that listens to what you want and will do what you want. Although I don’t think your boss will ban you for getting a coffee can fart pipe put on your roadster!

mrspeedyt, catdad49, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Why on earth would you ever paint a hot rod a restoration colour?

11. Jeff34

Jeff34

Why would you want to paint it at all?

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The wrong paint can not actually ruin a car but it can sure ruin the way it looks. Paint can only enhance, it can not fix. Don't rush it. :D

13. I must have missed the memo on what colours were deemed 'restoration' colours... :rolleyes:

Atwater Mike, J.Ukrop and warbird1 like this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Painting a car the original colour for the year. Sounds like restoration to me.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well... just thinking out loud. If this car was built in say 41’ it would be ten years old and likely wearing the stock paint not already worn away. So I’d have no issue with a ‘restoration’ color on it.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh, and I’ve seen people spray spray foam inside of the flexible ducting to make a mock up exhaust bend to take the the shop.

you could also make a few pie cuts in spare pipe and tack them, take that in to match.

End of the day the suggested flex pipe
    Seems pretty era correct and easiest

17. Surely to god you're joking... If your only qualifier of a hotrod versus restoration is the paint colour used then you've either failed to read this entire thread, or have significantly overlooked most traditional hotrods. (Black is an 'original colour' after all).
    Either way, not going to get into a pissing match with you on Joey's thread.

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My point was a real old hot rodder would have went down the co-op, or the feed store and bought a gallon of rust paint and had er all one colour.

They guys who piss about it not being an original paint colour will be telling Joey to put the fenders back on!

Keep at what you are doing Joey. Looks like fun, and that's the point.

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

template for bending exhaust...
    i keep the wooden plugs cut out using a hole saw...
    get 3 the size of the tube... slid one in each end with the 3rd between them on the bent coat hanger...
    then slide the floater from one end to the other to make sure all is clear...

20. 97

exhaust system, particularly headers check out iceengineworks system ..... too expensive , but I am sure you can work out how their system works and make something similar yourself from sections of round material threaded on a piece of soft wire...I did!

Outback, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Don't worry everyone, I didn't forget about the build or the thread. I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Nebraska for a super secret journalism project that I'll be sharing more on later. I'll also have some roadster updates later tonight.

Outback, catdad49, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you everyone for your contributions regarding the exhaust. I'm always amazed by the knowledge on here. I'll have to give a few of the techniques a try in the coming weeks.

Also, as of now, I do not plan to paint the car until it gets the V8. Seeing that it needs bodywork, it seems counterintuitive to paint it before improving upon those areas. Besides, I'm not 100% sold on any color at this point. That being said, the rusty decklid will get some white and gray paint to match the rest of the car.

Outback, catdad49, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    catdad49, Rocky, J.Ukrop and 14 others like this.
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have really been enjoying this thread @J.Ukrop , its fun to see your progress. On another note, in regards to what color to paint the car, or NOT paint the car, its your car, and your decision. This particular roadster lives down at the FLABOB airport down by Riverside California, I always liked the colors of this car, even though I am sure the owner really didn't plan it out this way, so this is just a suggestion for you and nothing more. That being said, I do like the color of dark green on the radiator shell and the hood, if it was a satin finish and not gloss. Either way would look great, IMHO.
    Keep up the great progress!
    From Dennis.

DSC_0999 (2).JPG DSC_1002 (2).JPG DSC_1188 (3).JPG DSC_1006 (2).JPG DSC_1005 (3).JPG

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Hey!! it's a Model a dash with chubby cheeks...:D

That is a nice green Dennis...;)

catdad49, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  26. 97

Nice car , but yes the whole thing looks a little chubby, overweight with all those "modern" car parts !:)

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Video 25 seconds in...... did you get shot at ?

Or back fire ?

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see the seat looking modern and maybe that dash cover could be with some Brookville possibly mixed in...I like how the hood looks to almost disappear with the reflected wall on its shiny green...a diamond in the rough...

Dennis did a great job capturing it...

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Duce shell, '39 tail lights '40 steering wheel, maybe '35 wheels and a '39 trans and of course the new engine = the chubby dash ......... think that's why " modern" was in quotes. :rolleyes: Cool car!