Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

For sure. The person/site that they were purchased from guaranteed the plates to be DMV clear for registration or they’re 100% refundable.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Jeff34 and 2 others like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I recall as a kid in the late 60s or early 70s riding through SF with my parents and seeing a big billboard sign advertising her.

chryslerfan55 and Tony Martino like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lost to us now. Owner is likely on his way to prison, and the pandemic did it the rest of the way in.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great card, great plates, and a great Christmas!
    I think you all have soled me on YOM pates for my '26. I'm trying to sort out the meaning of the prefix letters on old Nevada plates. For a while they represented the county of residence but I don't know when they started that. I have some but they would need to be restored and I would rather have a set of good survivors.

J.Ukrop, chryslerfan55 and winduptoy like this.
  5. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Easy to get those plates yom at a dmv at like Dixon or west sac etc. Or guarantee when you hit the walk in DMV right before they close at 430 they rush to close and you skate the grief of getting your plates for your roadster or talk to grumpy
    That boat front was in Oakland jack London square called the Bow and Bell
    Owned by Jackie Jensen a MLB pitcher I was dating his daughter whom had the same name.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The last time I was in Jack London Square I hardly recognized the place. I was much seedier when I was going to college in Oakland in the '60s. I think there was a ship front place in SF too but I was pretty young when I was there.
    I was the last one in line at the bank today and they just handed over the $6,500 in cash. Easiest withdrawal I ever made. :eek:
    Here's the place I was thinking of. Looks like it closed in '81. I was thinking Powell because we walked from the cable car.
    https://www.artandarchitecture-sf.com/bernsteins-fish-grotto.html

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even better than just the backing plates, I found a set of original Ford brake shoes!

The appear to have been relined, and will likely need to be relined again, but they can be used as cores.

It is all in the vinegar bath now, having a good swim.

OFT, brEad, J.Ukrop and 5 others like this.
  8. This is such a great thread....Really enjoying it....

J.Ukrop, winduptoy, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Amazing! It just gets better and better!

Thank you for coming along for the ride!

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just like that, I'm back from my Michigan adventure. Here's a quick photo recap. IMG_2117.jpg
    When you see Tony Nancy's "22 Jr." and a ton of killer surf records on display at the airport, you know it's going to be a good trip.
    IMG_2193.jpg
    If you're in the Motor City, Bates Burgers are a must!
    IMG_2219.jpg One of the highlights was our family trip to the Detroit Institute of Art. I had never been, and I was in awe of Diego Rivera's Detroit Industry murals. Painted in 1933, this 27 panel masterpiece gives an inside look at the production of the then-new '33 Ford. The level of detail is out of this world.
    IMG_2222.jpg IMG_2218.jpg
    We enjoyed all the art, and I especially liked their "Car Design in the Motor City" exhibit for reasons that you can probably guess.
    IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

On this trip, I started digging into the history of Henry Ford's Village Industries. Through this program, he brought various steps of the manufacturing process out to the country. Although the project was not as successful as he would have liked, several of the facilities remained in use until the 1970s. As luck would have it, the Albert Kahn-designed Ford Valve plant is located very close to my parents' house. The building you see here was built in 1936 in the place of the old valve plant, but there's a very high percentage chance that my roadster's valves were produced on this very corner in Northville. Small world! IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    Later, Michigan! I hope to return in the spring for a visit—and some more Vernor's.
    IMG_2338.jpg
    P.S. I have something pretty darn exciting to share with you guys in the morning. Stay tuned!

12. In the '50s I believe, Detroit was considered the richest city in the world.
    Wish it could return to it's former glory!
    Joey, thanks for the interesting tour!

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As promised, I have some pretty big news regarding this car. When I walked in the door from the airport, I found an envelope from the California DMV waiting for me on the table. It was the title. For the past couple of months, I've been working to get all the paperwork straightened out. I can now say with complete certainty that this is my licensed, registered and insured 1930 Ford roadster. I couldn't be happier. (Don't worry, this isn't a thread about paperwork and hopefully never will be.)

By having all that sorted, I can share a little bit more about the opening days of this project. Like so many hot rods, it started off as a pile of parts. It wasn't as complete as it looked in the first photo on page #1, but I figured that was a good starting point for this thread. I'm hopefully going to be able to dive into the backstory more in a future issue of The Rodder's Journal, but that's a project for another day.
    IMG_0044.CR2.jpg
    The other night, my good friend Yama—who some of you may remember from our Econoline adventure—sent me a text that he had finished his latest mini-documentary for his YouTube channel. The subject? The adventure of buying my Model A. He did an amazing job shooting and editing it, and it was so fun reliving those early days of the build. It was super cool being on the opposite side of the camera for a change.

Check it out if you have some spare time this New Year's Eve!

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I love the "industrial" art from the depression era. Tough art for tough people. There isn't enough pink pigment on the planet to paint us today. :rolleyes: Great pictures. Thanks!

Great video! I wish Chevy roadsters came in pieces that big! First I have to learn to build a wooden boat and then nail a Chevy roadster to it. :D It was originally built in Oakland but I doubt if any of those guys still around to show me how to do it. :(

100_1857.jpg 100_1868.jpg 100_1862.jpg 3303626003_d7b9efff74-1929 studebaker.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  15. Joey, great vid!
    You are livin' the life!
    Keep on! Keep on!

16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're killing me! I gotta get moving... Your progress motivates me and reminds me I can do it. Keep it up!

J.Ukrop and Tony Martino like this.
  17. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Joey,
    Great video !
    I have been following your build on the H.A.M.B and think it is great ! I will subscribe to YouTube so I can watch all of your videos. This reminds me of my 29 A Roadster that My son and I built out of pieces over a period of years (would you believe ‘68 to ‘99 ! ? )
    I was young, married and didn’t have much extra money for quite awhile but it did get done as a full fendered roadster with a 289 V 8. It isn’t fancy but it is always fun !
    Keep up the good work !
    Wheelie Dave

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. Wowsers, my dude !!!

Great stuff. Even dig the "Morrissey" vibes. Or whoever that knockoff may be.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wheeliedave, "'68to '99" thanks for posting that. I may make it yet. :eek:

20. Too cool!

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  21. steve's 41 Buick

steve's 41 Buick
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a great story and the video helps bring it home. My uncle’s Model A when I was a kid was the first classic car I was exposed to and I still love them!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! You're mastering many crafts as you build your car—a true renaissance man! You saw the potential of the pile of parts and you're making it happen!

Thank you! I'm working on it! Thanks for watching.

Thank you! I'm not claiming to know much of anything now, but it's funny to look back at that video to remember how much less I knew. I'm really glad Yama was there with camera in hand!

Thank you, Dave! So cool that you were able to build it with your son and spend lots of quality years achieving your A-V8 dream. I plan to own mine for the rest of my life, and I'm sure it'll be a constant work-in-progress!

Hell yeah! Thank you. Yama and his roommates record all their own music for the show, which I feel adds to it big time.

Thanks Rocky!

Thank you! We used to go to Greenfield Village when we were little kids to look at the cars. Believe it or not, I seemed to gravitate towards the Model A's! Some things never change :)
    3.jpg
    My brother and I examining an A back in the day.

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

New Year, new progress! Today was a work day/work on the car day too.

1) The first order of business was figuring out why the engine was making a high-pitched whining sound. After some investigation, I discovered the belt was too tight. I loosened it up and it was purring again.

2) My dimmer switch arrived earlier in the week, and I was excited to put it to good use. (NOS, made in the U.S.A.) IMG_2357.jpg I played with the idea of putting it in the floor, but there simply isn't enough room. Instead, I tucked it underneath the dash where it's hard to see but easy to reach.

Once everything was hooked up, I tried the lights. I was happy to see that both the high and low beams worked exactly as they should have—and the switch is not overheating anymore!
    IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    I have a matching set of Wagner bulbs that I plan to install to even things out. Overall, I'm very happy with the headlight setup!

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_2392.jpg
    Refreshing!

As I move forward with lots of little pieces of this project, I'm mentally preparing to install the Stromberg, downdraft intake and header once the brakes are finished. Right now, I have the carb, intake, header, low output electric fuel pump and fuel regulator, but I still need a few things. I'm looking for a good place to buy throttle linkages (or pieces to them?) and fuel line fittings. Lots of places sell them, but I was wondering where you guys get yours. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

25. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I've been getting a whining from my engine and now I gotta check the tension to see if that's it! I recently just replaced the light switch on my little Falcon and it's amazing how much brighter the bulbs are! Can't wait to see where this build goes!

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  26. 97

Yep they get under your skin , as a kid , I taught myself to drive around the yard, in my Dad's A Tudor, which was actually his "work truck".
    Watched him drive for a few weeks, and took the first opportunity when he was "out" in the other car... I was eight and yes I got caught. Didn't stop me , I was behind the wheel at every opportunity. Dad's friend Ivan had a 29 RPU, which I was totally enamored by, and 5 years later I owned a 1928 example ....it is still here 50 something years later. Many other Model As ( and other early Fords) have come and some have gone but the RPU will never leave. I only wish I knew where the Tudor went. I came home from school one day and it was gone, replaced with a new Bedford truck.

27. It's always good to go after the bizaro number/letter plates for that fact if you can. I couldn't find any clean '28 plates years ago since most numbers I was finding was being used by state vehicles and on the other side I had a set of '47 car plates for about 5 years and they were still clear so I could use them.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    chryslerfan55, winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  28. 97

Carb linkages!
    I just make my own, I have a 40 +year collection of linkage parts from all sorts of cars and carbs to pick from , but mostly I just cut up bits of 1/4 x 1/2 or 3/4 aluminum or brass bar and 5/16 stainless or brass rod . A lot of filing, drilling and little bit of lathe work and a heap of satisfaction when it's done. Only thing that isn't in the mix is impatience...it takes time .
    There are lots of places which make new linkages , they look too perfect for me.

http://dickshotrodcarbs.com/home.html
    https://www.stromberg-97.com/product-index/parts/?cat=linkage-parts or
    get them from Uncle Max
    http://97-express.com/
    I think Redline the Weber importers in the USA still have some quite old time looking linkage parts , but you know I still think they all look too mass produced and somehow the easy way out.
    If I didn't want to make them I think I would look at swap meets for old Moon, Eelco or other old used parts.

Dan Marvin at Exeter Auto supply sells all the old Offenhauser parts , dunno if they still make the linkages..or maybe Tim McMaster at Hanford Auto Supply , they are both right here on HAMB...

Here's another place which makes and sells great parts for cars like ours. I don't think they have linkages though!
    https://restorationstuff.com/shop.

Nah forget all that,
    Just look at what's out there and make some , it's not that hard!

29. Motmo

Motmo

Not sure where you'd mount our linkage with that manifold, it might be helpful to start with this part that would give you a mounting location. You can find it here-

https://www.stromberg-97.com/product-index/parts/?cat=linkage-parts

upload_2021-1-2_10-8-36.png

Then you'd have to fab a linkage arm which should be pretty easy. I'm running a scalded dog intake and they had an instruction sheet for a linkage arm. The measurements will be all wrong for your set up but it might be a helpful starting place-

https://storage.snappages.site/0v47f38nxg/assets/files/linkage drw.pdf

For throttle rods I just cut and welded stock throttle rods to length and used a couple of these for the linkage arm-

upload_2021-1-2_10-6-23.png

It was a little hard to adjust so I switched to these, which are more adjustable for fine tuning and can also be found on the secrets of speed website-

https://www.secretsofspeed.com/

upload_2021-1-2_10-8-4.png

Here's my current set up

upload_2021-1-2_10-18-31.png

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great information. These give me a good starting point for inspiration. After reading your post, I went out in the garage and dug up my spare linkage. It's going to be fun getting creative!

Thank you so much. This is an excellent guide. I really appreciate you taking the time to put it together. Looks like I have some saving and shopping to do. I enjoy mechanical challenges like this! Time for me to hit the drawing board.