Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Many years ago I worked in a body shop and a woman asked me to try and not leave any hairs in her paint job. I informed her I always used a new brush so this did to happen. She was happy, I sprayed it that night and when she picked it up she said that she didn’t see any hairs or brush marks.

NoSurf, Outback, dehartcarl and 16 others like this.
  2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Joey!

J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Well, I'm all caught up now with you and must say well done son (yeah, I'm that old) .... but now I'm getting the itch to want to build another Hot Rod.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joey, I am so glad you are able to work on your project in that location. I was thinking some of those flitzy neighbors would be "embarrassed" by that ride. I say they can go fuck themselves. I'd bet not one of them could even check their oil in their car, much less change it. Good luck with your endeavor. You are truly a needle in a haystack in S.F. Hope to see you at El Mirage someday. We intend to make our 5th cruise to the dry lake in our Deuce highboy when covid is defeated. Keep a knockin', Bud !

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last trip to S.F. my wife and I enjoyed a few brewskis and a sandwich at Buena Vista Bar and Grill across the street from the cable bar barn on the Embarcadero. Then, a trip to Ghiradelli's chocolate store increased our blood pressure two-fold ! It was a super experience several years back.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Nick32vic, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. patsurf

patsurf

you didn't get a irish coffee??

Nick32vic, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great advice. The plan is to stick with as much original Model A suspension as possible until the big V8 swap. I have my Ted's floaters in the garage, waiting to be installed along with all new springs and brake shoes that will be professionally contoured to the turned drums. More on that later.

The way I see it, brush paint will work with this build pretty nicely.

Thank you! I'm still full from the Turkey and all the fixings. This year we did a Friendsgiving, and I made the garlic mashed potatoes with a little bit of shredded pepper jack cheese, homemade pineapple pudding and the dinner rolls. I wish there were more leftovers!

Hell yeah! Yours is next!

I checked it out and it's exactly what I'm going for. I have a little bit of bodywork ahead of me, but I think it'll be a good learning experience.

Don't worry, I'm going to try to make it as nice as I possibly can. Just like with the motorcycles, I love when these things age naturally to get a cohesive look.

That rules. I bet he had some stories!

Yeah! I've done some brush painting on bikes as well with nice results. I figure with the same time and effort, it'll work for the roadster just fine.

Hahah that's one way to do it!

Thank you! Little by little, it's coming together!

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Of course, thank you for following along. Even though I still have a long way to go, it's fun to see how this car started versus how it is today. If you do start another one, do a build thread!

Gary, thank you for the kind words. It's crazy how nice everyone has been regarding this project. In the past two months, there's only been one instance where an individual has had an issue with it being out in the driveway. I kept my cool and explained to her the significance and rarity of this old hot rod, and that I have permission from my landlord to work on it. This took her by surprise and she didn't quite know what to say. Whenever she comes by, I just wave, smile and keep on wrenching. I'd love to hang at El Mirage when the time comes!

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm back home after a quick Thanksgiving trip up north. While I was gone, I managed to do a little bit of parts hunting. On Thursday, my roommate Michael and I went to go check out a very traditional touring, but it appeared as if many of the parts wood not be a good fit for my project.
    IMG_1617.jpg
    The ad stated that it ran when parked, but the engine was used for another project. Note the bench seat and original buggy springs. Modified front wheels contribute to its "in-the-weeds" stance.
    IMG_1615-1.jpg
    Nearby, we came across this early trailer. The story goes that it was used to haul a short-wheelbase digger to the local dirt drags. Although the team was short on horsepower, they really rows to the occasion and grew a large following during the summer months.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Gary, thank you for the kind words. It's crazy how nice everyone has been regarding this project. In the past two months, there's only been one instance where an individual has had an issue with it being out in the driveway. I kept my cool and explained to her the significance and rarity of this old hot rod, and that I have permission from my landlord to work on it. This took her by surprise and she didn't quite know what to say. Whenever she comes by, I just wave, smile and keep on wrenching.

truth be told you’d be surprised how many times that person is the one who brings by some awesome part they found in an uncles garage for you. It’s not always easy to be nice but it will reward you more times than not. One way or another.

11. A Boner

A Boner

Paint the body to match the patina on the hood, or paint the car and the hood so it all matches and looks new?

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yep, the plan is to make it all black. We'll see how I'm feeling, but it may even get a beltline pinstripe too.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I always figured you could paint it very nice with cheep paint and it wouldn’t take terribly long before it got some honest wear and fade to it.

drdave, Stogy, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The build continues. Today I received a huge piece of the puzzle and I couldn't be more excited. First, a little background.

As soon as I realized my two-inch chopped Deuce windshield posts wouldn't work, I went back to the drawing board. I put a want-ad in a Model A group on Facebook, and it wasn't long before Rick Hall in Pennsylvania messaged me saying he had some posts—and a windshield frame—that his dad chopped in the 1950s. It was old chrome and, other than a crack on one side, absolutely perfect for my build. His dad had it on his channeled, flathead-powered roadster for years, and Rick had since replaced it with a nice reproduction piece. Best of all, he still has the car. He was happy to answer all my questions and gave me a great deal on the whole setup. Today I was able to bolt it on. It gives the car an extra something special, and the fact that it came off an old hot rod is the cherry on top. Hot damn do I feel lucky.
    IMG_1714.jpg
    On a similar note, I also got the top rests from Rick. I'm a huge Chris Craft fan, and these remind me of pieces off some of my favorite boats of the era. IMG_1710.jpg
    Here's Rick's dad's extremely cool flathead-powered roadster. It's channeled 8-inches over a Deuce frame. I love it!
    126327959_3581492801910203_7711386429674744466_n.jpg

15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

While we're talking hot rod componentry, I'm super pumped to run one of the new Stromberg 81's on this project. I've heard lots of good things about them. I'll also be rebuilding the Ford 94, so it'll be interesting to see which one will work better with my combination. This carb seems huge compared to anything I've ever put on a motorcycle, and it's currently sitting on my desk because it's so damn cool to look at. The only place that it'll look better? On the car. Soon! IMG_1577.jpg

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It is kinda fun to know where your parts came from and even cooler when it’s a hot rod! Very cool score on the windshield

GASSERBOB, Woogeroo, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  17. 97

Motorcycle crossover ...... I always wanted to put a pair of 36 or 38 mm Amal Mk11's on Model A . I know , the plastic top looks too new and fugly for a banger, so I would just make a cast alloy cap or at least a cover .
    [​IMG]

18. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Are you still looking for a Mooneyes mechanical tach?

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and winduptoy like this.
  19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are hitting every nail on the head!!!
    I'm running a pair of the new 81's on the Vicky. I had to re-jet for the altitude here. They (Stromberg) made these using a 97 body. They install a sleeve for the accelerator pump to change it from a 97 to an 81 size pump. If you look at the 97 body, there is a slight radius at the top of the bore. It is missing on the sleeve. Without the radius, it is next to impossible to load the pump leather into the pump bore without hairlipping (for lack of a better term) the leather when it is wet with fuel....
    When do you do a rejet of the power valve? When the leather is wet... I learned this the hard way. I suggest you radius the top of the bore while you can with the carb off and dry. I did pass this onto Clive and they said they would consider the modification to future production...
    With the two x two I go rich with the power valve open and I've blocked them off. Mileage and performance increase.
    Had a dyno session with AFR readings to achieve this.
    Going to be fun....

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The windshield is perfect!

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

At one point I was looking into an old Sun tach, but I'm not sure if it would work with my system. All shifting is done by sound and feel at this point haha

Nice, thank you for the detailed explanation. I'll send you a PM prior to me running it to figure out what exactly I should do. Can't wait to get this on the engine, along with the tube header and new/old intake manifold.

Thanks! Once I get the crack brazed, I'll have some glass cut. Then we'll be cookin'!

AHotRod likes this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Things have been busy around here with the Holidays fast approaching, but I was able to clean up the threads for the lower windshield stanchions the other night. The era-correct tap and die set makes yet another appearance in the build thread. IMG_1721.jpg

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday afternoon, my friends and I were working on a top secret project that I'll share more about later. Amidst the chaos, I was able to roll the roadster out for some pictures—and a quick drive around the block. It ran great. I still need to work on my downshifting, but I'm definitely feeling more comfortable behind the wheel. The new windshield changes the look of the car big time. IMG_1775-1.jpg
    IMG_1774-1.jpg

24. RyanAK

RyanAK

My Pap’s advice on any type of build that has a thousand little details: “It’s a weekend project, Ryan. It’s 112 weekends long... but it’s just a weekend project.” At the pace you’re going, you’re racking up the weekends at a good clip and will be scooting’ around in that roadster in no time.

drdave, AHotRod, Dedsoto and 2 others like this.
  25. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She looks ready to rumble! I think that's about the point where I'd get distracted driving it and never get it "done."

brEad and J.Ukrop like this.
  26. 97

Shifting SHOULD be done by ear, as should advance retard and , idle /mixture when driving a Model A. Model A is/should be a tactile , hands on experience, Tach/rev counter etc is superfluous. After a while, the gear changes , both up and down and the other adjustments will become second nature...That's when you become a proper banger pilot!:cool: You won't even need to look at the speedometer, not that they mean much anyway, :D you will know how fast you are traveling by the tug of the wind in your hair ,especially in a roadster ...

As far as brazing the windshield frame , I would be really careful about that decision. Once you have brass in the metal it will be impossible to weld, and near impossible to get rid of brass once its there. I think the brass will crack after a while and your only option will be to keep brazing it up. I would see if it can be welded first, there are laser welders which leave very little heat transfer if you are concerned about damaging the chrome...is it chrome or stainless steel? If it is stainless get it tig welded, and polished! Maybe you could post a picture of the crack, for some of us to look at and make suggestions ?

Atwater Mike and AHotRod like this.
  27. 97

A hotrod is never "done". Driving and improving is true hot rodding.

AHotRod likes this.
  28. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's why I put it in quotes!

Atwater Mike, Budget36 and J.Ukrop like this.
  29. RyanAK

RyanAK

I just copy-and-pasted these two quotes into my pre-war build notes under “philosophy”. To keep my head in the right space. Thanks!

oliver westlund, Atwater Mike and 97 like this.
  30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great advice @97, sounds like riding a chopper to me! The windshield was brazed together in the past, hence me wanting to braze it again. My friend David is a master bicycle fabricator, so he and I are going to work together to get this back on track. It is chromed steel, by the way, and the crack does not go all around. IMG_1706.jpg

Dannerr, Tim and jim snow like this.