Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. triumph 1

triumph 1

I really like you’re t-100 chopper!
    And you’re roadster is pretty cool as well

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

J.Ukrop, chryslerfan55 and Jrs50 like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you for reading my piece about my YBI days. Living in the Bay Area makes me appreciate the eucalyptus more than ever. That was quite the summer with about two years' worth of memories jam-packed into a very short timeframe. Many nights were spent dreaming of hot rods while riding the #25 bus across the Bay Bridge to the heart of downtown. There's a whole lot more to it, but that's a story for another time...

Yeah! It's an old bus seat, and I plan to modify it at some point. I like the sound of this.

Thank you! I really like your Vicky, and it's inspiring to see the trips that you've taken it on. With any luck, I'll put together a brake system that should be sufficient for my banger-powered adventures. I like the sound of how you set up the steelies too.

chryslerfan55 and winduptoy like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's been a few days since I last updated this thread, but don't worry—I've been making a little bit of progress. So what's up?

First and foremost, I've spent a good amount of time and energy figuring out the best way forward for the brakes. At this point, I think I have a plan of attack for Version 1.0, and I intend to start the rebuild after Thanksgiving.
    IMG_1489.jpg Next, I've been collecting/ordering pieces for the headlight setup. My switch arrived on Friday, and my 12 gauge wire should get here early next week.
    IMG_1495.jpg
    Today was a big day in the Speed & Power department. This morning, I drove north to Petaluma to swing by David di Falco's shop. As soon as I rolled up, I saw his channeled '30 roadster parked out front. I couldn't help but smile. I've always loved this car, with its deep channel, faded yellow paint and healthy flathead. Now that I have a roadster of my own, I was able to appreciate it in a completely new way.

IMG_1529.jpg
    A portrait of man and machine, November 2020.

David had a number of parts for my car, including a homemade downdraft intake and Holley 94 from back in the day. When paired with my gas welded tube header, it's going to make for quite the combo. He and I talked everything from throttle linkages to fuel lines, and it was so fun getting to learn the ins and outs of it all.
    IMG_1526.jpg
    It was a beautiful fall day here in the Bay Area. On the way home, I grabbed a late lunch at Phyllis' Giant Burger in San Rafael and enjoyed it on the patio. (If you find yourself in this part of the world, Phyllis' and the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Marin County Civic Center are worth a visit.) When I got home, I had to mock up the new intake.
    IMG_1534.jpg

Dannerr, GASSERBOB, Chuck R and 23 others like this.
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good things are on the way. Right now, I'm anxiously awaiting parts from all across the U.S., from Pennsylvania and Virginia to New Mexico and Seattle. Stay tuned for more soon-ish!

5. Just a heads up about your light switch. I have one of those in my roadster and if there is any kind of tension or pull on the wires they fail to work properly. I thought I had a bad switch and bought a second but did the same thing. There is very little contact with the switch parts inside the case so it doesn't take much tension to lose power. Everything would work but the rear parking lights. This was on both switches. Once I put more slack in the wires everything works as it should.

6. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

What is the reason for using that kind of light switch instead of the stock one in the center of the steering wheel?

Just curious since I'm debating with myself whether to use an original style wiring harness in my car or to make my own using the schematic in the Tardel/Bishop book.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  7. I went with the later switch because of using a later banjo wheel plus I added turn signals. I also made my own harness. 20190501_080923.jpg

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I don't know if he still has them but several years ago Flattop Bob from Owens Salvage Company in Wellington, Texas had a bunch of NOS steering column headlight wire harnesses for Fords. I don't know if any were for As. He also has a lot of other vintage stuff and he's a fun guy to talk to.
    http://www.owenssalvage.com

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

you can use the banjo wheel/light rod/horn button with the stock ford 28 and up switch at the bottom of your steering box, and still make your own wires coming out of it. not a big deal to shorten the rod

Stogy, chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

To be honest, I just thought it felt natural as a left-hand pull and I went with it. It would work just as well using the steering wheel switch. I wired my car from scratch (what feels like a lifetime ago). Let me know if you would like me to PM you the schematic.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Mikko_ and 2 others like this.
  11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today I had to do some work on my OT daily, but I was able to start making my headlight switch panel and clean a couple of parts. The panel is recycled aluminum and will be about half the width of this cardboard template. Simple, small and pragmatic.
    IMG_1460.jpg
    Hi!
    IMG_1541.jpg
    Aluminum & agave. It's going to be a busy week at work, but I'll hopefully have more updates soon. Thanks for following along!

GASSERBOB, AHotRod, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  12. RyanAK

RyanAK

Keep at it, brother. It's the small details that will make this car "Joey's Roadster".

Stogy, J.Ukrop, OFT and 2 others like this.
  13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pedal covers and new rubber on the column mount didn't go unnoticed.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Might leave it long until you know were everything is going to land? I’ve gone over switch locations a zillion times and I’m still yet to drill a single hole for it lol

chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  15. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

PM sent.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  16. Love this build. The fact you are doing it in a tiny garage in the City is even better. And man that Country Club Malt Liquor sign brings back memories. When we could "buy up" as underage delinquents that was the drink of choice. Keep up the good work. I'm in Marin, between you and DiFalco. You better stop by when you get it sorted out enough to venture over the Bridge.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

18. Jeff34

Jeff34

I wish I had known you were here in P-Town. I could have come down to say hello! Phyllis' is a phantastic burger place. There's always Brewsters and Taps in Petaluma as well.

J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Haven't posted on the Hamb in quite a while, but I just have to say this is a great thread.
    A young guy putting together a Model A in an old 1 car garage with parts collected one at a time just screams pure hot rodding. Can't wait to see it come together and very excited to see the black paint job process.

20. ruppi1932

ruppi1932
    from Germany

which tire size is installed? looks good!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I love tackling all the little tasks that make up the big picture.

Glad you caught that. Definitely elements that make the car seem a little more finished.

I'm already on version 3.0 of the switch mount, so I get exactly where you're coming from.

Thank you! And I don't think they make it anymore, but I have a feeling it falls in the Olde English 800 territory hahah. I'll 100% stop by once I get comfortable enough with "long distance" travel.

Thanks Mark!

Gotta try those next. Can't wait to get together and check out the truck when the world is closer to normal.

Thank you! It's been fun thus far. Challenging at times? You bet. But totally worth it. We got some tricks up our sleeve for our paint job—but more on that later.

Thank you! They're Firestone 6.00 x 16 in the front and 7.50 x 16 in the rear. What's nice is that they can be carried over for multiple stages of the build.

winduptoy, Tim and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just wanted to take a minute to say Happy Thanksgiving and thank each and every one of you for all your help on this build. This spring, I was pretty apprehensive about trying to buy a roadster, let alone build it and put a thread together for the H.A.M.B. Jumping in and doing it was one of the best choices I've made in a long time.

I'll be out of the loop until after the holiday weekend, but I did park the car in the middle of the cul-de-sac for a mini photo shoot. More on that later. Hope everyone enjoys some turkey and time with the ones they care about.
    IMG_1586.jpg
    Oh! Special shoutout to @Hitchhiker for the hubcaps and @winduptoy for the flying quail radiator cap. They're perfect!

23. A Boner

A Boner

Considering your environment, a black, brush paint job would work out good for you (won’t get neighbors mad). Be sure to get some sort of “flow out” type additive to minimize brush marks. If the paint flows out better, it reduces, or maybe eliminates the sanding between the coats of paint. Tackle it one panel at a time...should be fun. Hopefully some patina experts will chime in with the many tricks needed to avoid the dreaded fake, non-convincing look.
    Oh, cool pic too!
    DC1DFA4B-8328-4600-A354-08A3ECA38DA5.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  24. 97

I have been " taking " a lot from your thread but not really contributing much. I am only a learner here myself after owning my RPU for 50 something years.
    Two things I would mention,
    NOTHING wrong with mechanical brakes, there are improvements on the Model A brakes , but hydraulics isn't necessary.
    Use a 32-36 axle( it's already dropped compared with a Model A, use the brakes that came on that axle, they are cast iron, (36 will be wide five) , but all the rest are already set up for wire wheels. I would also use the rear brakes from the same car. You will need the tall perch bolts from a 32-34 to keep the parts all in line.
    Now you have "Rocky Mountain Brakes" on the cheap, a dropped axle and all Ford parts.
    The improvement I would make would be Ted's floaters on all four brakes, AND perfect rods and clevises, brake pedal bushes etc.
    Remember Henry used mechanical brakes for most of the 30s and a third of the life of the flathead V8...all they need is a bit of maintenance/adjustment . With Ted's floaters you will outbrake the tires , before you will need hydraulics.

Secondly regarding paint, nothing wrong with a brush painted hot rod.. remember rumor has it that Rolls Royce painted all of their cars with a brush until 1958 I think. Hand built cars were hand painted ???

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it! That's what it feels like old school hot rodding is all about.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@dumprat brush painted his 34’ recently and looks killer. Might go take a look for ideas?

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think brush painting is a good idea and can produce a finish as nice as spray paint maybe better than some spray jobs. "Patina" ? Why spend all that time and effort to paint a car so it looks like it needs a paint job? Patina will happen if you keep the car and drive it enough. I like the look of survivor cars but they earned it. Make your A earn it. You are young and have time to let it happen.

29. Back in the 70's I worked on deliveries at a local furniture store, while going to college. One of the sales guys, was Irish, and he had apprenticed in Ireland as a car painter. He told me then, that they used brush painting for their work. Never elaborated if it was coach work, or what, but I still remember that.

J.Ukrop and murf 32 like this.
  30. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have brush painted a couple motorcycle frames i was too lazy to take apart. with a high quality brush and real automotive quality paint you can get amazing results

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020