Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks everyone! So last night I was able to get the newly mounted and balanced wheels on the car. It was too dark out to take a decent photo, so I waited until this morning. After writing about wheel and tire combos for the past seven years, I gave these a ton of thought. I'm super excited with how they turned out. (The body will eventually be painted black to match the OP on the hood.) IMG_1288.jpg

2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This morning I went for a Sunday drive around the neighborhood. I tried it with only 1/4-ish tank and, as you can imagine, that didn't work when I started heading west (uphill) on Fulton. My neck of the woods is known as Lone Mountain, which is something you only really think of when you're attempting to drive a car with a gravity-feed fuel system. Anyways, I poured three more gallons in and we were good to go.

This was the longest I've driven the car. I made two laps around the block and everything went smoothly. Downshifting from second to first is tricky, but I know I'll get better with more seat time. Just like hockey, soft hands are key! IMG_1290.jpg
    I'm feeling super grateful for everything right now. Thank you everyone for helping me so much thus far. I know I have a ways to go, but to be driving this thing on a sunny fall morning is what dreams are made of. IMG_1293.jpg
    Tire detail, feat. my shadow.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome I can’t wait to get to that point the sedan project :)

Runnin shine, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  4. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Liking the wheels and rubber, that colour looks quality..

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  5. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to see you up and putting around! The car is looking great and I really dig those wheels.

Wish I had as much progress to show. Soon!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  6. so cool!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This is fun to watch.

8. RyanAK

RyanAK

This whole thread is great, and your approach is spot on. How a guy should go about a first build has been on my mind lately... and I think the way you're tackling it makes building a car feel approachable to someone looking to build their first traditional rod. That's a service to guys coming into the life. Your build is achievable. And fun. Good on ya, brother. And thanks for taking the time to document your journey here.

9. Car has a great stance. You hit one outta the park with your wheel and tire choices.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Won't be long! I'm excited to be following along.

Thank you! On a car like this where there isn't anything super trick, I feel like it's important to try to make a statement with the pieces you have. In this case, the wheels gave me an opportunity to step out a little bit. I took a slight gamble on the color, and I'm very pleased with how they came out.

Thanks man, much appreciated. Having this thing move under its own power is a great reminder as to why I'm building it. Judging by how quickly you got your engine up and running, I know things are going to really start happening fast once you get the rest of the big pieces in place.

Thanks Rocky!

Thank you! Little by little, it's coming together.

Ryan, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the thread. You hit the nail on the head with the whole "approachable" concept. Having any sort of large-scale early hot rod project is a major commitment—time, money, space, emotional energy, you name it. I often ask myself, "Who built these cars in the 1930s-'40s?" Based on my research, many of them were people like me who were brand new to all of this. They learned as they went along, and I am too. I won't get too off topic here, but I'll jump in on your thread a little later. My advice? Go for it!

Thank you! I agonized over what to run for way too long, but I'm glad I researched it as much as I did. When it's on flat ground, it has a little bit of rake to it. Now lets see if I can find any of that here in SF...
    123942709_10208494488355768_8175262520433099454_o.jpg
    Too bad we can't see the rest of the car, but here's my roadster's cousin enjoying some time out on the street.

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No major progress to report today. Other than ordering a small-but-exciting piece of speed equipment that I'll share later, all I did was dial-in the headlight bar location, sand the windshield frame and do a little bit of detail painting. After sleeping on the mocked-up headlight bar, I decided that it was too far forward for my liking. So, since nothing was set in stone, I tucked it back and precariously placed a headlight.
    IMG_1313.jpg
    Ideally I'd run them about four inches higher, but I plan to make a second bar using 11/16ths rod and a straight '28/'29 headlight bar sometime the line. This one is for practice—and it's original to the car.
    IMG_1315.jpg
    When everything's welded up, these will be getting carriage bolts and rubber mounts to cut down on vibration. Yes, they won't be aimed at Salesforce Tower height when I run them!
    IMG_1314.jpg
    Note the jacket and wood placement. Those were my safety net in case the magnets and clamps quit on me. Luckily, it all went as planned.

In other news, I'm hoping that my brake parts will be here sometime this week.

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

cool build ,keep the A grill pls.

Big mike 1968 and J.Ukrop like this.
  13. adam401

adam401

Just scanned through this thread. Great build. Its fun to mix and match from the vintage Ford parts bin and create an early hot rod.
    Ive run 3 cars on mechanical brakes. Going through the full brake system adjustment process is worth it even if you think it stops well. It'll give you optimum performance as well as bring any worn/ problem areas to your attention. Good luck, have fun!

14. catdad49

catdad49

Joey, glad you’re Enjoying your 1st old car build. Lots of support here (not surprised), it’s fun to be a part of it! What’s the reaction of the neighbors?! Drive on, Carp.

Big mike 1968, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! The A grille is staying for now, but no promises once I got A-V8...

Thank you, I couldn't agree more. I have woven/riveted brake shoes on the way, and my new brake springs and Flathead Ted components showed up today. Once I have all the pieces, it's going to be fun to set it up on jackstands and really give the system an overhaul. Hopefully I'll get to do that before Thanksgiving.

Thanks! I couldn't do it without you guys, that's for sure. Oh man, pretty much all the neighbors love it and are super supportive. They're excited to see the progress every time I roll it out in the driveway. I tell them that they're welcome to help me work on it at any time :) Not too many early Fords here anymore, that's for sure!

chryslerfan55, OFT, Tim and 2 others like this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I love that picture of my car from Sunday's drive, but the one thing that bugs me is the color of the battery box. (It's a modern sealed 12V with a metal jacket.) Well, I finally got around to painting it last night. To help bring it back in time, I applied an old waterslide decal from Thunderbolt Engineering. I grew up building model kits, so I absolutely love little details like this.

Before.
    IMG_1326.jpg

After.
    IMG_1328.jpg

I figure it'll weather nicely with some road use.

IMG_1332.jpg

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

396570c5329d69650c9c7c0617f7474b.jpg

:rolleyes:...there are lots of shots of everyday life back in the day...but including Hotrods...pretty rare indeed...what a priceless shot as you say and one iconic company...perhaps your inspiration might be you got that job and recieved a nice round Consolidated Eagle decal that might find it's way strategically placed on the Ole Hotrod...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I went to high school (59-63) in the Inland Empire (Concord) and College in Oakland. Because of my aunt who took my brother and me on many excursions to San Francisco when we were kids and still lived in Texas I knew more about "The City" than my friends who grew up in the Bay Area. Sf was the date destination of choice. I knew the places where I could park my '38 ford coupe and roll start it if needed, like the little parking lot above the Cliff House. A special memory was a foggy night double date in my buddies '62 Vette. Two pretty girls on my lap most of the night! He offered to let me drive for a while, I declined. :rolleyes:

In College I rented two different places on Broadway in Oakland because they had garages where I could work on my cars out of the rain and fog. Seeing you building your roadster brings back memories. I mostly had one car at a time so "improvements" mostly had to be done in small increments, like over a weekend. At best my friends and I had to be sure that we didn't undertake big mods at the same time so one or two of us had a car on the road. We worked together a lot and often shared tools, time, and even parts. One friend had a '28 pickup that we took to Santa Cruz over highway 17 a few times. We adjusted the mechanical brakes at home and before heading back over the mountains. I had a warmed up 4 banger. :cool:

One of my favorite parts of your build is that even though your goal is an A-V8 you are progressing step by step as we used to do making the changes as we could afford it and fit it in to our life's demands. I'm old but I'm still learning from your thread. I really like the wheels & tires and the headlight bar. The Triumph is bad ass too!

19. RyanAK

RyanAK

Absolutely... every hot rodder had a first car. Your approach is achievable and your enthusiasm is contagious! Keep on keeping on. The world needs more first builds documented to keep the fires stoked and create a sense of ‘I can do it!’ Looking forward to what you have to say over on the other thread.

I think this is important in this build and should be considered by any guy looking to build his first car... have an ultimate goal in mind but work within your ability and means to get a car on the road. Then let it evolve and improve as life and budget allow. I get the sense that most of the early cars hit the street, lake bed, salt, track or strip in a somewhat ‘preliminary’ stage. Few cars were ‘finished’ when they rolled out of the garage. I love that you didn’t jump into an A-V8 from the get go. The path you’re on will give the car... and it’s builder... a more compelling narrative. More ‘true’.

Good on ya.

20. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Congratulations on a great project, and great progress. I had to laugh when I saw this picture of the car looking like a giant planter!

[​IMG]

21. Be very careful with how close you put the lightbar. The radiator get stilted forward to change the upper radiator hose and with the bar that close you may not have the room.

Mike

J.Ukrop, 48fordnut and Six Ball like this.
  22. JB401

JB401

I don’t post as much as I should but I do my fair share of reading. I’ve been following your build from the start and I dig where you are heading with it. Currently working on a 29 A pickup build myself and definitely picked up some pointers from ya. Keep it up!

J.Ukrop, 48fordnut and Six Ball like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Not sure what I enjoy more about this thread, your actual build of the car or your enthusiasm.
    Both are what keeps me coming back to view it!

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dug the backing plates out today. I will have the blast cabinet set up shortly, so I can deliver them to you clean. I saw a box that had hoses in it, brand new, but I forgot to grab it while at the storage unit. Next time I'm there I will grab it, and those go with them. PXL_20201114_011209880.MP.jpeg

25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Joey, what’s under that gray primer on the body, might be able to wet sand the body and make it look a more uniform color if there is old paint underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's stories like these that make me so happy to building a traditional hot rod. Thank you so much for sharing those great memories. You get exactly where I'm coming from as I put things together piecemeal. I'm glad to hear you're following along!

Thank you! And haha you're not the first person to tell me that. This photo below isn't mine, but certainly has a similar feel. IMG_1403.jpg

Good point. I will see if I can find a happy medium as I bolt it up as my Sunday activity.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the build. I'm learning as I go, but let me know if there's anything I can do to help with your project!

Hell yeah, I'm working to learn and keep things as fun as possible. It seems like the more I work on it, the more enjoyable it gets.

Ooooh yeah. Thank you! You're too good to me. Those are going to be great.

winduptoy, brEad, OFT and 2 others like this.
  27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Tonight's update will be in two parts. I had a super fun day hanging out with @SAVAGE in San Jose, driving around in hot rods and learning about all sorts of early Ford stuff. He also hooked me up with some more pieces for my mechanical brakes, so I'm going to get to work on those in the morning.

As some of you may have seen, I finally built my light bar on Thursday. I wrote about the actual process for my weekly Jalopy Journal column, which you can find here.

Some behind-the-scenes snapshots... IMG_1373.jpg
    My high-tech jig helped me transfer the width of the bar to the piece of metal below. I used dabs of paint on both the supports to mark where exactly I should be welding. Note chamfered edges. You can tell it's fall because I had to break out my heavy duty Rodder's Journal jacket.
    IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    It's all primed and painted now. I'll be bolting it on in the morning, so I'll post more pictures then.

Dannerr, ct1932ford, dwollam and 17 others like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Very nice work. Man you have an eye for this stuff!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, I really appreciate that. I guess all those hours digging through old magazines for work is paying off.

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As promised, I got the bar mounted today. I spent a little bit of time drilling holes and what seems like forever waiting for paint to dry. Lights are mounted with carriage bolts and custom rubber pads were added to help cut down vibration. Overall, I'm really happy with how these turned out. Definitely have that old-timey feel.
    IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    I wasn't as productive today as I would have liked, but I am glad to have this sub-project basically completed. I did also straighten up the garage a bit—and I hung up my Country Club Malt Liquor sign.
    IMG_1419.jpg
    A snapshot of the garage scene. The unconventional wiring came with the place.
    IMG_1421.jpg
    Finally, before it was time to turn in, I brought in a headlight to see how it looked on the inside. Judging by the internal condition, my pal in LA wasn't lying when he said that he was running these on his Model A RPU somewhat recently. Can't wait to wire 'em up!
    IMG_1422.jpg