Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building my daily driver old truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ayers Garage, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I lost my 72 short bed daily driver in a divorce 3 years ago, and in the mean time, I've been wanting to build another old beater truck to drive daily. Problem is, I run work full time at the fire department and run a powdercoating shop on my off days, so my free time is very slim.

I bought this little 63 truck off the local tow yard/ impound guy. I really wanted an earlier truck, but this one was available for scrap price. He was going to scrap it but thankfully, I got it first. It's a one owner truck that last drove in 1978. Since then, it had been parked in a shed. It was a bit crusty, but zero rust repair needed and no significant body damage anywhere.

Here is as delivered off the tow truck...
    [​IMG]

I bought an 84 front clip off Craigslist for 100...
    [​IMG]

Rebuilt and powdercoated everything on the front suspension. While I was at it, I swapped in some 3 inch lowered springs. No money for drop spindles or airbags unfortunately.

[​IMG]

In the rear, I swapped a 72 model unit to get 5 lug bolt pattern and nice 3.07 highway gears (remember this will be a daily driver, hence the tall gears). I also went with 5 inch lowered springs and fresh rebuilt everything.

Finished off with some cheap chromie wheels from Summit.

[​IMG]

For power, I put together a 327 large journal engine using a 4 bolt main 350 block. Comp 268 cam, Dart heads, Speed Pro pistons, Scat rods. It has 9.6 compression and a mild cam so I'm hoping for great road manners. Again, I powdercoated everything. I got some original Vette LT-1 valve covers for 20 bucks off Craigslist.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought an old Edelbrock intake at the swap for 40 and spent way too much time refurbishing it, heli-coiling bad holes, removing old rusty plugs and fittings, and then powdercoating it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I freshened up the interior with a hillbilly seat cover and some fresh dash bits...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All that's left before hitting the road is finishing up the engine install and saving that last bit of money for exhaust. I am going to order some Brockman mufflers and pencil tips for that.

I have about 6 weeks of work in this thing, of course off and on as I could find the time. I spent a lot of hours powdercoating all of the underneath bits which took most of that time.

If I can score a registration spot at the HAMB drags this year, I will see what kind of time it will run. I'm sure it will be slow with the mild engine and highway gears but I don't have the scratch to build a dedicated race car right now. I've been to the drags twice, but strictly as a spectator so far.

Kevin

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks like a job well done. nice truck. hope to see you at the drags. it'll be my 3rd year.

3. classic1952

classic1952
    from pacoima ca

great truck!!! its gonna be a bitchin ride!!!

4. Bigjake

Bigjake

I like it man. I got the same "Hillbilly seat cover" but it beats springs poking you in the ass. What tranny?

5. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Right now, I still have the non synchro 1st gear Saginaw 3 speed. If I get to run it at the drags I will bring an extra tranny with me to make sure I get home.

6. Wish the stuff around here was only "crusty" like yours. It'd half way rerturned to mother earth by the time they are that old.

I'm sure it was was for picture taking, but valve covers are on the wrong side in your engine photo. They are slightly inclined for rocker clearance, and you can see the notches for intake runner clearance on the gasket flanges. Just in case you hadn't noticed.
    Nice truck!

7. Low-n-Broke

Low-n-Broke

very nice. i was wanting to sell my 04 f 150 to fund a daily driver old truck. clean ol truck man

8. mpot

mpot

6 weeks? I've been on my roadster for a year and still have atleast another one to go! Nice work!

9. BenW455

BenW455

Nice job. That engine looks sweet.

10. sinks88

sinks88

love the petina!

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Get some Porter mufflers...they're good stuff...the truck looks good, it must be kinda nice to be able to powdercoat all of your stuff yourself...

12. nutajunka

nutajunka

Nice truck, would trade crusty for rusty anyday.

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, 6 weeks. You make it sound like you were slacking off. I have done 0 work on any of my projects in the last 6 weeks. Now that is slacking off.

That's a nice project and sounds like good solid hot rodding to me.

14. whid

whid

sweet little truck....real nice...............dave

15. Absolutely FINE ! This give me power to work with mine -77 Fleetside daily driver . But now it´s snowing outside and there in garage is no room to do it. Have to wait next summer. ..... Jukka

16. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Thanks for pointing out the valve cover deal. They were just sitting on there for the pictures. I was pulling them off and polishing them every time I could get the motivation. I'm not a real effective polisher so it was a big deal for me to get them looking like they look now.

I'm pretty set on Brockman's mufflers. I have listened to a bunch of sound clips and prefer them.

As far as the 6 week deal, I work pretty hard. I try to spend 60-70 hours a week in the shop working on stuff. I'd spend more but I have to work 24 hour shift at the fire department every third day. Some days when I come home I am pretty worn out. And, I have way too many powdercoating jobs coming in and out. It seems that the word is getting around and all of the gun guys are bringing me guns to coat. And, lots of antique motorcycle parts too.

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

Oh, I don't blame you for going with Brockmans, they're definately in the top 3 on my list, I just like to see HAMB (and local MN guys) get business, and Porters sound great...