Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building my 63 Gasser!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63gasser, Oct 6, 2010.

1. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

63 gasser. We'll have to get together someday. I'm at 59th ave and Greenway and I'm buiding a '63 Catalina. We can run together as the largest and smallest gassers????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love anything that tries to be a gasser, just love the look. My Dad hauled Ramblers out of Kenosha WI 1951 to 1971 and back in our cars days used to run all the way out here and the coast before the railroad took over. He might have even hauled your's?? Anywho, love the build. I'll keep watching the thread. Mark L

2. 63gasser

63gasser

Sounds like a plan to me would like to see your catalina in person....plus the swapmeet at GCC will be on oct.24th i will be there looking for some goodies as always:D

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

gassers are the new flat black. :rolleyes:

If you'd pay attention you'd notice that flat black was played out about 6 or 7 years ago.

4. darkk

darkk

Why do you assume that a "rat rod" is built sub par? I agree that some are not the safest in the world, but the same can be said about a lot of traditional "hot rods" and "street rods". What is it with people on this forum anyways? Rods are rods, regardless of the specific style. I own a very nice pro streeted coupe, but I'm in the process of building a rat rod. Trust me when I tell you that it will be very very far from "sub par"...stop raining on the guys parade!

5. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Nice score on that Moon tank. Keep us posted on your gasser project!

6. I do recall seeing a pic of a '65 Rambler Marlin drag car with straight axle, being campaigned by the owner of a Rambler dealership. Also, on the weight issue. A convertible is not necessarily lighter than it's hardtop counterpart. A lot of times the frame is significantly beefed up to compensate for lost body rigidity.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Because this site is not about all styles. Traditional Hot Rods and Customs. Not street rods, not rat rods, not street freaks. Think pre-muscle car (i.e. 65'ish). There are plenty of sites that cater to all-styles.

8. Are you serious? You own a pro streeted car and you are building a rat rod? Wrong site dude. The whole concept of a "rat rod" is that they are sub-par. Go pick up this month's Hot Rod magazine, they explain it a lot better than I can. And rods are not rods, especially where this forum is concerned.

9. 63gasser

63gasser

I enjoy all the feedback that i get on here....there is more to come soon! Rod

10. Big Dad

Big Dad

You are not going to believe this but, I think someone on here has built that year model and its a ragtop into a gasser already ?

It seems like it was / is green ?

your time, money and effort ..

Build what ever tickles your pickle

11. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Is this the one you are talking about? Its from one of the HAMB Photoshop threads last year.
    :cool:

Attached Files:

• hh.jpg
      hh.jpg
      File size:
      101 KB
      Views:
  12. Big Dad

Big Dad

Lol ,well .. I thought someone built it !!

I didn't look all that close at it

13. 63gasser

63gasser

looks good to me! o yea this is the small block that is going to push it down the road.

Attached Files:

14. 63gasser

63gasser

The wheel base is now 100 inches but i am pulling back the rear 2 inches and moving the front forwards 1 1/2 inches. as far as 1/4 mile yes i will and i am looking forward to that!:)

15. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

This is going to be really neat when your done, I am sure that it is not a heavy vehicle and your small block will move it just fine.

Jon

16. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

That's a killer photoshop!

17. I like the 2 gals inside having a nice little chat as the slick sidewalls are wrinkling and the front wheels are starting to pull away from the pavement.

18. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Comparing gasser styling to ratrods is the stupidest thing I've ever rear here. I'm amazed how many people here sit at their keyboards waiting to pounce. We can't all have flat black 32 Fords.

This build could be cool. Can't wait to see more pics as the project progresses. That photoshopped pic gave me a better idea of how it could turn out....very neat.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This comment right here show your ignorance of the HAMB in spades. :eek:

20. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

No I think I understand...I directed that at the person who is so narrow minded to think only certain cars are "traditional" and wanting to slam gassers. If gassers were a bad thing, I guess there would be no HAMB drags right?

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Gassers are fine. Real gassers. That would actually fit in a class. Fake gassers that are just styling not so much. It's the Pro-Street of the new millenium. And the over done street freak thing was a 70's thing that doesn't really belong here either. Either way the throw a straight axle in it and call it a gasser thing is silly.

And you flat black comment does show your ignorance. Maybe if you said Washington Blue. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  22. mac762

mac762

That's my Boss's Rambler that they photochoped. I think it rules. I'd rather see a fast straight axled Rambler than a lot of things.
    Every car I ever drew in the margin of a textbook in school had a straight axle. :)

23. I think we are twins separated at birth. That's exactly what I was gonna say.

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Zman, this is directed at you:

while I tend to agree with many of the statements made by you, I can't understand why you don't just unsubscribe yourself from this thread and let the man have some fun.

It isn't like he is grossly offending anybody with his concept and intended outcome.

I will agree with another participant that there were some very odd choices in the "day" as foundations for gassers. Who knows, a Rambler Ragtop may have been one of them.

If you want to be "correct", a 63 Rambler Ragtop gasser is more HAMB friendly and era correct than some of the 66/67 Chevelles and Novas we see on here. By 67 the gasser era was done and it was on to funny cars

So go chase them down and harass them for a while, leave this guy alone.

or go back to doing something productive, like offering sound advice on Buicks

nuff said

25. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Word... 7 posts on how you don't think it fits or you don't like it....I think we all get it, thanks.

Back to the build good luck looks cool so far.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

thanks... :D

bob this is directed at you. :eek:

Because I think things like this need to be weeded out. It seems that the HAMB has been over run with fake gassers and street freaks lately. I'd rather see that NOT happen. :p

27. Deuces

Deuces

So, what ever happened to " dare to be different"??? ...... Someone pass the popcorn... Thanks!

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The HAMB has never been about "dare to be different" it has been about traditional hot rods and customs. :eek:

Now some stuff that is different but falls under that is cool, but fake is fake, get some fake olds valve covers, and a fake blower, with fake injection. :eek:

29. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

Go for it. These other guys probably built all the 3 in 1 kits as "stock". If everyone followed the same set of instructions we would have a world full of "street rods"

30. Deuces

Deuces

Hey, I like 3n'1 kits... I'm working on a 1/12 scale '57 Belair as we speak.. :D