Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Building mistakes you won't repeat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 11, 2018.

1. raymay

raymay

I have always tried to keep the parts I need for a build stored away. Problem sometimes when it is time for final assembly, I realize some parts got bought twice. I guess building too slow or doing more than one project at a time can be a problem.
    For one custom build I purchased some 58 Chevy stainless strips at a flea market in Carlisle. I needed 7 pieces but the guy had some extras and said I could have them. Fast forward 6 months and I am fabricating the area for the stainless. Measured for spacing, cutting and shaping, drilling holes and fitting the pieces of stainless I bought. Fast forward several more weeks when I ask my painter friend how the finish body work is coming. He says the 9 areas I drilled out for the stainless has been slowing him down with all the fine hand sanding. I tell him there are only 7 sets of holes for stainless. He sends me a picture showing 9 sets of holes. Apparently I forgot about the extra stainless pieces given to me and I set my pattern up using all the stainless strips that were in the box I had bought months before. Strangely no one has ever asked me about the number of strips. If they do I will simply tell them since it's a custom I wanted to be a little creative and different.

527994_4089370985622_139613861_n.jpg

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the early 80's I had just built a new 350 Chevy motor for my 67 El Camino and had a spread bore Holly on it (that worked fine). I had about 500 miles on the motor and a friend brought over a Quadrajet that he thought would be way better (he had bought it at a swap meet). We swapped it on, fired the motor and "that sound" emanated from the engine. I quickly turned it off. He was standing by the passenger fender and that's were the noise came from. It didn't take long to pull the head, a screw had fallen out of the Quadrajet, ruined the piston AND CRACKED the BLOCK. Always check the screws/fasteners on anything that can disassemble and dump parts in the engine. I had a spare block and the local machine shop took an extra pair of heads that I had in trade for the bore job on the block.

I think I will remind him of this incident the next time we talk:)

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Closing the garage door when assembling fenders,trim etc. Helpers with a few beers can cause damage! Wife is only one who helps with this. Once was replacing a carb on a 40. Neighbor was helping. I put on new carb and instant death rattle. Like mentioned above, a nut imbedded in piston and wall scored. Pulled engine has bored etc. I just don't ask for help and keep the doors shut.

4. raymay

raymay

Similar problem here when my friend bought a NEW triple setup for his 32 Ford. Noise started out slow and progressively got worse. The guy that sold the setup took no responsibility for the obvious carb screw that must have been inside one of the carbs. We ended up replacing the engine and I made a desk trophy for my Buddy to remember the Sunday we spent fixing his car. You can see the definite screw marks in the top of the cracked piston.

DSC00658.JPG

alanp561, David Gersic and Hnstray like this.
  5. “Mistakes I won’t repeat” Hahahaha, there’s not enough bandwidth on this site for me to list them!

WB69, jazz1, reagen and 3 others like this.
  6. Not really a like, but been there, Brother! Brand new Holley 750 double pumper! Brand new engine ran for roughly 3 min. Exact same damage! One TRW 12.5 to 1 piston and one cylinder sleeve later, and it ran like a champ. Expensive lesson on a 19 y/o budget though!

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Biggest mistake- Wife number 1, second biggest wife number 2. Guess I am a slow learner, but been with the current better half 15 years, still not married but still happy together.

8. fordflambe

fordflambe

Tried to learn how to mig weld on the center seam of a 40' Ford hood. It looked like a waded up chewing gum wrapper when i got finished.............and sorry, no pictures!

9. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

My biggest regret and something I'll never do again sell a car that I built. The other day I said I could kick myself in the ass for selling that LaSalle. Last night went online and looked for another LaSalle. I find my old LaSalle for sale for $32,000. I knew it was my car because of the upholstery fabric. They claimed that the car was all original and had 32,000 miles. That was BS. On the way to the delicatessen this morning for coffee and pleasuring the women there in my 55 I thought Should I sell the 55 or sell the 07 Corvette?And get the late thirties coup. I was in the 55 snug as a bug in a rug, Loving every minute of it and I thought of the Corvette that I need a Hoyer lift to get in and out of and rides like crap. If anything goes down the road it will be the Corvette for sure. I promise I won't say anything more about the GD LaSalle

Hombre likes this.
  10. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

My tools never leave my shop without ME!!

Hombre and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  11. Buying somebody else's already disassembled project missing a ton of parts because the body was good. Turns out even the body wasn't so good but being too stubborn to give up.
    Getting involved in barter deals.
    Buying a small block chevy that I heard run but for only a minute. Put it in the car and found out it had a knock when it warmed up.
    Getting burned by half assed body shops.
    Did I mention getting burned by half assed body shops?

Mahty, Hombre and trollst like this.
  12. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

Trying to do a quick job next to the house with a bumper jack....... woooops.jpg

Mahty likes this.
  13. Mahty

Mahty

I don’t let anyone “help” me anymore. My two sons and daughter, ok, but none of this hang out and help. All it does is slow me down. This is my time. Now I don’t have a problem helping someone else. My sons buddy bought a ‘59 Ford truck, and needs advice and help. I’m good with that, eager even.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  14. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Cutting the crap out of my 34 at age 16 trying to lighten it for drag racing. Took over 40 years to put it back together. I work slow!

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Too long a list for here. :rolleyes:
    Reiterate several others ...... only build what turns your crank. Fortunate to've learned this one fairly early. No point in wasting what life you're given.

16. topher5150

topher5150

I just made a $100 mistake this weekend. I bought the kingpin set popped the bushings, brought it to work to try and ream them out...long story short I spent most of the day Friday looking for a new set of bushings $20, and $85 to have them reamed out at.

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I'm not a Chevy fan, in a moment of insanity I bought a very straight, rust free 65 two door hardtop Chevelle with a good interior, all the glass and no engine or tranny for $65. Cut my knuckles trying to get the hood open and sold it the next day for $65. I've almost regretted that one since 1970.