Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building hot rods from garbage ( non-survivor club)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirtytwo, Oct 16, 2015.

1. alchemy

alchemy

The sub rails were the most solid part on the whole car. Then they cut them out to channel it. o_O

2. The North East is fairly humid and the amount of road salt used on icy roads.

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don't think that's it ... I'm orig from Minnesota and the life span of a new car is about 5 yrs before rust sets in ... About 10 when holes appear , lots of vegetation and humidity also rarely I see rust on old tin as bad as the east I have heard soil ph levels have a big impact on cars in the ground so maybe that translates elsewhere too

4. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I wish I had a good picture of mine before. Someone cut one side off with a saw :confused: .
    [​IMG]
    Edited .... I found pics of my car when I got it off ebay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Bump to the top... Cause I just can't take another " what color should I paint my wheels " or " are radials traditional ?" Thread....

Fight the good fight boys !...

more dumpster divin pics please!

6. Can't believe Larry hadn't asked what size tires are those ? :) By the way, that's a really nice save !

bengeltiger and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Silly kid... Smaller tires are a quick and easy way to change a gear ratio!

8. wizard0ne0

wizard0ne0
    from Denver

The OP said that race cars count so I am rolling with it. So I started a 24 hours of LeMons race team and the team flaked out on me and took the car with them. We had this truck about to be scrapped in the back lot and I sort of got this silly idea to race it. Cleaned it out a bit and discovered the normal rusted floor pan, missing radiator, etc but the big issue was the reason the truck was parked was because the owner hit something HARD and bent the front axle about 10 degrees and ripped both the rear leaf spring mounts out on the front end, was held together with bailing wire. The rear axle had about 7 or 8 degrees of slop in it and a nice clunk from a shattered spider gear as well. I really got rolling on this project about 3 weeks before the race and in that time it got a
    New fuel cell, pump, lines
    Used front suspension from a jaguar xj6
    Used rear axle from a 3rd gen firebird
    Used brake master cylinder from a 4th gen camaro
    New brake lines
    Full roll cage
    New tires
    Used wheels
    Used fixed back race seat
    New 5 point harness
    Full electrical kill system
    Used radiator from a 47 Plymouth
    New floor pans
    Oil change
    New Plugs
    New Wires
    New Cap
    New Rotor
    New Points
    New Condenser
    New Ignition Coil
    New Water pump
    Transmission fluid change
    Rear axle fluid change
    New Fire extinguisher

Still an ongoing project, starter recently went out on me so getting that rebuilt now as well as a modern radiator. Future plans involve a more modern transmission, custom headers, custom intake, 3 side draft carburetors, hot camshaft, shaved head, update to IRS in the rear, and some other random goodies.

Attached Files:

9. squirrel

squirrel

not real bad....I guess....but I ended up replacing most of the front floor, and cut out the back floor and moved it forward, after putting the (wrong) quarter back on the car and making it fit.

[​IMG]

The other quarter took a lot of work to fix too, it was hit in front of the wheel and fixed badly and rusted out.

[​IMG]

It ended up looking like a race car, and it goes kinda fast with old fashioned engine/drivetrain stuff.

[​IMG]

10. Very clean job on your Chevy Jim!

11. wizard0ne0

wizard0ne0
    from Denver

I guess I should also mention my Dodge was done on a true shoe string budget, got the truck for free through some sweat equity, the front suspension and brakes were pulled out of a junkyard for 150$, the new floorpan was made from the roof skin of a dodge aspen, the rear axle came from a car that we were crushing, same with the brake master cylinder. The tires are craigslist find Bridgestone potenza's that we found for 100$. Overall less than 2k was spent on the entire build so far.

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

DSCN1623.JPG

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, AHotRod, wingnutz and 3 others like this.
  13. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

i'll have to keep you posted on this one

Attached Files:

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

friggen Arizona guys:rolleyes::D...man, that looks like a PEACH next to my wagon, and I always figured it was pretty good! On the drivers side, it was rotten right up to the end of the toe board. But then, I am in the PNW!
    But at least mine DID come with a free "rat"...
    bigrat.jpg

15. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

001_24A-1.jpg

Attached Files:

16. volvobrynk likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Sounds like something I would do. LOL

I know this is off on a rabbit trail and probably doesn't not pertain exactly to the thread but a kid I went to high school with wanted a roadster. he went out to this farm where the old guy was using all rusting hulks to fill a ravine and dug a coupe out of the mess. drug it home and cut the roof off then took the roof back and chucked it in the ravine. The roof was the most solid part of the car. o_O:eek:

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

22. 39custom

39custom

I started out with this 39 Deluxe tudor. Now its on its way to a 39 Deluxe three window coupe. IMG_20151026_215557.jpg IMG-20110811-00484_2.jpg

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This is so far gone its humourous. So you actually looked at THIS, and thought "Yup, gonna build me a Willys PU."
    [​IMG]
    :eek: And whats scary is that you actually did it!

biggeorge, brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  24. Long way to go on this one.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401, Squablow, Okie Pete and 9 others like this.
  25. Body is taped together in the first pic, it was cut into about 8 pieces. Only reached the mockup stage so far but I can't stop thinking about it and I have 80 per cent of the parts on hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401, Squablow, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  26. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0536.JPG 33 Fordor drug up and out of a No. Nevada ravine . transformed into a Fordor Vicky C-400 convertible sedan six pics 005.jpg IMG_0924.JPG Genoa_09_Picnic.jpg

27. raymay

raymay

A multi year project with a fellow HAMB member. He saw the potential in the piles of metal and missing parts he got despite those who thought we were crazy for even attempting to make something out of what little we had.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/uncle-ricks-33-plymouth-project.680682/
    Lots of changes since we began and now he has a mostly all steel 33 Plymouth that is getting much closer to reality.
    331.JPG 332.JPG IMG_5496.JPG IMG_5497.JPG