Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building headers for your Fordillac pt 1.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteMattersen, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Well this is my shoebox i've been building for past two years. I'm running a 365 caddy with a 700r4 behind it(scoff if you must), nestled into a mustang ii stub from Fatman. All along in this build I have known that the stock manifolds were not going to fly, and I was fairly certain Jeg's doesnt have these headers in stock(even though my muscle car friends acutally did ask me if i checked:rolleyes:). Well I ran into matt from gear drive (lakeheaders.com) at the pileup and he told me he could hook me up with a set of flanges, and after that it was a box-o-bends and some hooker collectors and I was ready for business.I started off by mouting my flanges securely and locating the collector where I wanted it to end up. I tacked the collector with a scrap chunk of rod to the frame to ensure it didn't move. From there on it was a matter of fitting the tubes to the collector. At this point I wasn't worried about the tube/flange connection. Once all the tubes were tacked in place, I pulled the header out of the car. I clamped the flange in the vise and began to flare the tubes to fit the flanges. I began by tacking the tube wherever it met the flange. After all the tubes were securely tacked I started to heat the tubing from inside out and flare it to the flange.Next we weld on the collector and sand and metal finish til your blue in the face.After a few days of welding and sanding I finished up the passenger side. Part 2 will be the driver's side and the twist around the steering column. When both are done I will silicon bronze any imperfections and send them out for chrome.
    Over and out
    Petemattersen

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice work, Pete should work out real nice.

I had a girlfriend called Mona and she was a real bitch.

3. PalmdalePsycho

PalmdalePsycho

Looks good, i want to see them chromed

4. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

nice, tell me about the 700r4 setup and what it takes to hook it all up

5. Its a wilcap adapter.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Those are pretty. Nice work

That's a great tip...using the old manifold to keep from warping them while welding them up on the bench.

7. shane85

shane85

8. Well I didn't really take that great of build pics, but I did get a few of the driver's side header all finished. This completes the "large tasks" left for the build. It's getting down to the small stuff now and i'm in the zone.........here's a few pics I snapped.

Attached Files:

9. Clutched

Clutched

Way to go Champion.