Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a tribute to my Father

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 64f100custom, Feb 22, 2016.

1. 64f100custom

64f100custom

Hey its Sid. Last year on November 23 my father died in a helicopter crash on fort Hood Military base during a Routine training mission. When I heard about this, I was heart broken and I realized that I would never get to build a car with him again. So I want to start a project that he's held for me since I was a sophomore in high school. Its a 1929 Model A Huckster Cowl. its only the cowl though as the window pillars have rusted off and the rest of the truck, since it was wood, has rotted away. My plan is for it is to find a station wagon from the late 50's early 60's (for the good looking fins lol) that wasn't popular, say like the nova wagon, any caddy that was a wagon, etc. Take the body, from the firewall back including doors, and replace the firewall with my cowl. (with modification to fit of course) and then style it with my own flair. Ill be chopping and channeling the body myself with help to move it around. all body work including the re-styling of a few certain items (depends on the wagon I get) will be done by yours truly. The engine will be a Slant six from either a Chrysler or a Dodge because its odd looking and I'm not really looking to go fast with this car. Cant start right now as I live in an apartment with my roommate but will be posting my ideas through out the time until I get a garage to work in. Comments and support would be greatly appreciated. if you feel like I'm missing something that would make the car look better or work smoother please let me know I'm open for options. Thanks

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy goes out to you and rest of Family - your plan for the tribute car makes no sense - good that you have not started on it yet

3. Sorry to read of your Dad's passing.
    I'm thinking that your ideas maybe along the lines of the Atomic Punk maybe?

4. 64f100custom

64f100custom

no thats already been done. I'm going for a more 'unique' look than a full on custom. a lot of people have done it before but I'm not going to copy their work. their idea not mine since I have to start from scratch

5. 64f100custom

64f100custom

Please explain how it makes no since. Granted I've been slowly changing things in my mind the more I think about how it would look so please feel free to go into more detail

6. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

First off sorry about your loss. But what you describe would be a rat rod, unless it's done to the level,fit and finish of the Atomic Punk.

7. Maybe you could supply a scetch of what your thinking?
    Your explanation doesn't inspire good visuals, and as an artist, I have great visualizing skills, but can't see where your going with this.

8. 64f100custom

64f100custom

it will be done that way. I will get all the lines to match up perfectly and technically yes it is a rat rod but a custom has more class than a rat rod. it I was building a rat rod I would not make my lines fit and I wouldn't be focused on how the end result will turn out

9. 64f100custom

64f100custom

yes you are correct as I have forgotten to put in some visual explanation. what I am thinking of doing is taking the wagons body and cutting the firewall off from below the windshield all the way back to the door posts. then I will take the model a cowl and rebuild it and stretch the metal to fit (making cuts where I need to make it look nice) from there I will build a one piece hood and match it to the cowl/firewall's curve. the grill will be a complete custom make which I will give more detail into as I think about it. the winshield will become a two-piece with a post in the middle and the roof dropped 2 inches and the body channeled just low enough so it will go over a speed bump with about 3 inches of clearance. the dash will be swapped out to make the interior more sleek. it will be the full length of the wagon as well so I can drive it around as a street car and take my family to places or shows. the back end will change depending on how it looks when I get it. but the tailgate will become a side opener. like a door going into a house.