Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building a seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobj49f2, Oct 12, 2012.

1. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I searched and couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I'd to see a tech article on how to either build a seat from scratch or altering an existing seat to fit a car. I'm not looking for bomber seats or strap seats, I'm talking actual seats with the coils, batting, burlap and cloth.

I have a '37 four door Buick that is missing the back seat bottom. I've bought three cars and everyone was missing bottom cushion. I paid for a seat bottom to be shipped but when I got it it turned out to be a useless rusted mess. There's a design flaw in the cars. The back quarter windows have drain tubes that have a hose that goes down the dog leg. All of the cars I've had were missing this tube which allows water to drain into the quarter panel, and I assume drenches the interior and rot the seat cushions out. I have a bottom seat cushion from a truck but it would need some modification to make it fit.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in New Springfield OH and Car-Line Mfg in Beaumont TX 409-833-9757 are manufacturers of new seat spring assemblies (cushions and backrests) for Ford Model T, A, early V8 and some later cars. They also will duplicate a spring assembly that you send as a sample for most any car.

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

4. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Bob,

How bad can it be? grab some tubing, find some springs and go to town. Can you use one of your rusted out seat bottom as a template?

I know you have the fab skils
    Bobby

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

if you decide to make a new cushion,i have a 38 lasalle,i can give you some measurements. pm me if i can help

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I kept the crappy springs I got in the event I had to fab something. I have the seat bottom of old seat I got out of a parts truck. I haven't measured either yet to see if it might work.