Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building a Car Trailer; looking for ideas (or don't do's)

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by '52 F-3, Nov 26, 2009.

1. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

Yesterday was the big day, i got the VIN tag, license plate and title in the mail........ will be ready to go by the end of the day, to bad there is record snow here.

my garage; trailer is inside.
    [​IMG]

It's hell'of loud in the garage with lid open, not as loud with box closed........... a friend has a second speaker mounted under the trailer, i think i might do that also (gonna see how loud it is in a hotel parking lot, it'd be nice to hear in my room)

i like that idea, I'm thinking the same thing, gonna make out of wood.

I did get alittle carried away with it, but i knew i would. i've added acouple extra vintage lights and reflectors, now thinking about adapting a pop-up shelter to cover part of trailer and have a shaded sitting area also (i get vendor spots a few time a year, mainly cause it's a good place to hang out)

2. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

gonna look like a christmas tree if i don't stop adding lights........

l like the Oldsmobile lights on back of fenders the best.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Beats not being seen!!!!

4. cudapower

cudapower
    from iowa

One of the nicest trailers I built was one that I got some used semi refer floor from a trucking company. Refrigerated semi trailers have aluminum floors that are ribbed to stand forklift traffic. Usually they get dented right inside the door and rear area. They rebuild them and take the floor out. The front half is usually good. I got enough to do a 20 ft trailer for 100 bucks. It is perfect, makes the trailer light, doesn't rust, doesn't need paint, and is ribbed and will handle car weight easy with no additional reinforcing. Put it down with stainless steel deck screws and roll.

5. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I'd have liked to make an aluminum trailer, but it just wasn't in the budget, i'm still looking for a good deal on a sheet of diamond plate to wrap the front railing with. figure i'm about 95% complete..... ready for a road trip.
    [​IMG]
    working on a car cover now.

Okie Pete and Deuces like this.
  6. Very nice rig! It came out looking show-ready in its own right.

7. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

bringing back my old post for a few updates and lesson learned after 5 years and many miles.

the ramps were too long, I cut them in 1/2 and they work fine.

trailer had more flex than I suspected, causing inner fender rivets to work loose allowing inner tire rubbing/smoke a few times.

winch battery keeps going dead and along with issues with recharging from tow vehicle.

1 of the 6 boards rotted (other 5 are still good).

used 1/8 diamond plate for new inner fender wells with 2 x 3/16" flat plate around. plan to install some cough couch LED mini lights around perimeter (bomber lights just keep getting smashed/burning out etc...) putting winch battery in tow vehicle with an isolator and large plug to trailer

20151121_083013.jpg 20151121_083025.jpg 20151121_083527.jpg

Okie Pete, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

If a trailer is, say 21 feet from ball to rear, the pivot on the axles should be 2/3 s from front. 14 feet and no highway boogie if loaded correctly

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

image.jpeg Since this thread started, I purchased an aluminum tilt trailer. Installed a Home Depot cross bed tool box with an 8000 pound Warn winch inside the box with provisions for jumper cables. Also installed the Warn remote control that was worth every penny!

Okie Pete and '52 F-3 like this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here's one I just finished to haul my champ car and Anglia. I bought an old house trailer frame and cut it down. The electrical box up front houses a HF remote winch. I had to make the fenders easily removeable to get the champ car on as I wanted to keep the trailer footprint as small as possible.

before

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Okie Pete and '52 F-3 like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There you , It's pretty cool when the OP comes back and updates his long gone thread. Especially when it's on a subject that a lot of us ponder quite often even if the trailer is intended to be a project hauler.
    I've got an old camp trailer that I bought dirt cheap that will be a flat bed trailer one of these days and the main reason I bought it besides the price was the clear title. Right now it is the licensed 50.00 storage shed.

Years ago I bought a set of plans and downloaded instructions to build a tilt bed car trailer off Ebay but at the price of material I think I can buy one for less than I can build that one now.

5window and clem like this.
  12. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

really nice, and I like recycling/repurposing too.....

I can't tell exactly but I have a set of good condition old RV trailer 4-bolt wheels that may match the ones on your trailer, if they are and if your looking for a spare you can have'em.

so i'm trying to figure out how to mount these 36/37 hub caps on my wheels. I have the correct clips, but they hold the cap about a 1/2" off wheel. 20151121_083829.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  13. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

got wheels back on and installed hubcaps, still have pretty good to-do list, but at least I can use if needed.
    20151206_150407.jpg 20151206_150421.jpg

14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That is 1 nice trailer. On my last 2 , I fixed it so I could slide the ramps out the back and just slide them back in. A lot better than lifting around on them.

'52 F-3 likes this.
  15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Forgot to mention, I took a trailer, tag, in on trade for my enclosed I had. The guy had a winch on it and the battery in the tool box. He'd put a small solar panel on the lid of the box that acted as a trickle charger to keep the battery up, worked great.

'52 F-3 likes this.
  16. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

well I finished painting it green.... and repairing/adding LED lights.

also my new HAMB topper just came in the mail, I figured what the hell.

20151213_122626.jpg
    20151213_122557.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Do you get any condensation in the tongue box? My trailer's box is BIG, 7' X 3' X 3' in aluminum diamond plate, with a lift up door on each end. I bought this trailer used, and I'm rebuilding it, and changing a few things to tow the Bracket Car with. Drill some 1 to 2 inch holes in the bottom of your box to help with condensation, and your alarm may be a little louder also. The runners on my trailer are are diamond plate aluminum also, riveted to the frame. It had sat for some time under some pine trees, and water found it's way into the main rails through some of the rivet holes. Then the water froze inside the main rails, and bulged them out in a couple of places; one even has a 2 inch split. Now there's holes drilled underneath to let water out. I thought about using industrial wire grating for the runners, but it's too costly to justify. I had thought I could buy the trailer fairly cheap, rebuild it, and have a pretty good trailer; it looks it'll cost just as much after I replace the tires. I have a 12K lb. winch to go in the tongue box, my gas generator, and a small air compressor. This was a nice trailer when new, but it sat for so long everything deteriorated. The guy I bought it from only used to for his business, a VW repair shop, and I don't know why he went with such a large trailer for such small cars. He never even connected the electric brakes on both axles; they still looked new. Are you painting with a brush or roller? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Deuces likes this.
  18. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I've not had any condensation issues and used a brush and regular Rustoleum paint.
    And I agree, it's more expensive to build a trailer than buy one, but that's how most project vehicles are for me.... But you get to make it how you want (within your skills and budget)

19. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

Still working on my never finished trailer project, built a 3rd removable ramp, to load/unload "Reverse Trike". Added a 30 watt solar panel and Battery Tender controller awhile ago, and have had zero issues with battery holding a charge since then. Also finally bought an electric 4000 lb. powered "Tongue Jack", been looking at them for years and just love it.
    20210701_104002.jpg 20210701_104100.jpg 20210701_104118.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  20. bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Bumping an OLD thread because I'm thinking about upgrading my 18' (includes 2' dovetail) dual axle (3,500#) car hauler with a wood deck.

I'm thinking 20' (includes 2' dovetail), 5k axles, steel deck, toolbox, winch. Mostly haul vintage cars here/there/everywhere, but occasionally need to transport something like a crew-cab diesel dually 4x4.

Anyone have any recent experience with a home-built trailer?

Bill's Auto Works and '52 F-3 like this.
  21. rotten egg

rotten egg

Great thread.
    Thanks for all the updates '52 F-3

'52 F-3 likes this.
  22. Do you know the actual curb weight of
    a diesel dually 4WD CC truck ?

This thread is entertaining but No Way In Hell
    would I modify a lightweight or boat trailer
    to transport a vehicle on a public road.

In the event of an accident - the driver of
    the vehicle towing a home made trailer
    is personally responsible responsible for
    any damage that results from an accident
    resulting from design and/or construction.

A state inspection on a home made trailer
    and plates & registration does not constitute
    roadworthiness - in the event of any accident
    involving the trailer - the driver’s insurance
    company may decline coverage.

This also applies if you modify an existing
    manufactured trailer by altering the design
    (like replacing 3500 pound axles
    with 5200 pound axles).

The moment you get on a public road
    towing a home made or modified trailer
    you are - literally - on your own.

Jim

SS327 likes this.
  23. bulletpruf

bulletpruf

I actually do know the weight of a crew cab diesel dually.

Pretty sure this thread is about building a trailer from scratch, not modifying a boat trailer or similar to carry a vehicle.

I'm well aware of the liability issues as well.

Thanks

24. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I typically don't reply to this kind of comment, but I just re-read it and am wondering why the negativity. We aren't talking about the Space Shuttle, some people can build roadworthy vehicles (or trailers) get them inspected by competent mechanics and be safe to tow/drive on public roads.
    This trailer is now 13 years old and has hauled lots of vehicles and stuff for many thousands of miles.

Bill's Auto Works and Kroombit like this.
  25. 97

Hardly appropriate on a forum dedicated to building, modifying and driving hotrods.! Obviously you are only "here " for business purposes , not because you are a builder of traditional hot rods .

26. “ Hardly Appropriate “ is seriously contemplating
    taking a 7000 pound GVWR trailer - adding two
    feet to it - replacing the existing 3500 pound axles
    with 5200 pound axles -then loading a one ton
    crew cab diesel dually 4 wheel drive pickup
    truck on it that weighs a minimum of
    9000 pounds and expect to safely safely tow
    it down the road …..

An 18 foot open deck trailer with 3500 pound
    axles made of steel is engineered & designed
    for a 4000 pound load in most cases.

Adding two feet of deck space to it and
    installing 5200 pound on it stresses the
    frame beyond the design - putting a
    vehicle on it weighing 200% of maximum
    capacity creates a disaster waiting to
    happen on a public road.

I share those public roads with fellow
    motorists every day when I transport
    vehicles.

I have seen firsthand the carnage caused
    by folks with modified car hauler trailers.

Jim

alanp561 likes this.