Register now to get rid of these ads!

building a '47 Dodge coupe gasser..Ideas??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang552, Jun 11, 2011.

1. mustang552

mustang552
    BANNED

Just wanted to get some ideas on building my 1947 Dodge 3-window coupe. First I wanted a gasser,early 50's.then I wanted a lead-sled ,customized. If any of you have one , can you post a picture, maybe tell me what to do or what not to do? I am using a 440, and a 727. It has a 1978 Firebird front stub and rear end already installed. Thanks for any help, this is a great help to a lot of people.

Attached Files:

2. farmer12

farmer12

This would be one great custom with a nice chop. Good to see you're keeping it all Mopar, I like that. Good luck in deciding!

3. George

George

Typical gasser has a solid front axle, IF they had installed a modern Mopar torsion bar front end @ least it could have been raised up for the front up gasser look.

4. telv1s

telv1s

I went with a 2x3 rectangular chassis, MII front cross member up front. It is tubbed with a 14 pt. roll cage and ladder bar set up. In the 90's it was a pro street car. When I got tired of that I went the traditional way, changed the rear and now it sits nice and low. It also has a 392 Hemi. I wish I wouldn't have thrown away the rear deck lid springs. I found some from a club coupe and they are too weak to lift the heavy lid.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. vitamindart

vitamindart

I will be watching this closely as I am in the same boat pretty much. have a 47 Plymouth coupe I keep going back n forth on a gasser or custom. telvls I would love to see some more of your car.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

There is always another option.
    Gene

Attached Files:

7. SNORE....ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....SNOART......ZZZZZZZZZZZZ...........HUH, WHA???? WHERE AM I????

falcongeorge and X38 like this.
  8. choptop40

choptop40

Agree ..gasser is typically straight axle..you couldnrun a subframe though...

9. choptop40

choptop40

Swiss cheese the subframe and every thing in sight...lightening holes.....then your good to go....harbor freight sells hole saws...just use lubricant and you'll hole the whole f,er in an afternoon...

10. Check user, check date.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought of this!

12. telv1s

telv1s

Son of a ........ Perfect replica of the old Chrisler engineers Ram Charger. Beyond nice.