Register now to get rid of these ads!

building a 39 coupe to dragrace - help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clemdaddy, Jun 29, 2007.

1. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

have a good body 1939 ford delux coupe, a 427 1967 vette tri-power 435 hp engine, a super t-10 31 spline 4-speed, big and little mickeys on torque thrust d's. the chassis is a boxed 2x4 with strange 9" 4:11 gears and big drum brakes.

i need a parallel spring dropped axle suspension w/disc brakes (complete)
    and tube x-member with driveshaft loop (hopefully pre-fab)

anybody got suggestions of where or alternate ideas.
    welcome all input...

thanks, clemdaddy

2. My 40 willys sedan was missing its straight axle, so I used a 1949 Chevy straight axle with paralell leafs. Converted it to disc break for a little over $100-

Probly be easier fabing the X member although I've seen complete x members from tube premade & you just cut to fit. Not sure who made them, but they're always on egay

Carl Hagan

3. Just wondering why the parallel leafs? I think most early Ford gassers like you are describing would have used something like a Model A axle with a high arched spring.

4. jervin

jervin

my thinking is parallel leafs would be more stable. i don't have a front crossmember connected to the frame so the front axle is wide open at this point. i know i don't want mustang2 or any ifs. and i'm not fond of the gasser high front look either. i think you're right about the A springer is usually found in gassers, but i think that's more about weight than strength... i dunno, just learning here.

thanks for your input

that's weird, my confuser logged in with someone elses name. jervin must have used it last...