Register now to get rid of these ads!

building a 383 stroker wondering what heads are best

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldchevy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. oldchevy

oldchevy

i just turned eighteen and im building a 383 it has probe forged pistons flat top, procomp 5.7 h beam rods and a eagle crank i want to run a rather large cam and also i have a edelbrock high rise intake with two 550 holleys. budget is about a grand any ideas

2. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Pro Comp with the 210 CC Intake runners. Don't get the smaller ones as they don't breathe. I've ported several sets. I made a short Video on youtube about them. They used to be bad casting type heads but were bought out and retooled and now they're good heads ,,especially for the money.Get on eBay and type in "ProComp Aluminum heads 210 CC". For about $900.oo you'll have a great set of heads.

3. Diavolo

Diavolo

I'm a big fan of these
    http://www.airflowresearch.com/10-16.pdf

You said best, not authentic. I think if I was building something like that I'd give them a call and see what they can come up with.

4. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Yes but he said "A Grand" that'll buy a brand new set. AirFlows are $3000.oo by the time you're done.

5. 30Abone

30Abone

I would stay way from anything procomp. they are cheap for a reason. how big of a cam are you using and what kind of rpm are you going to run.
    for a daily driver i would use the 180 AFRs, for higher rpms i would use the 195cc AFRs. for what its worth AFR makes the best sbc head on the market in my opinion.

6. brandon

brandon

whats your idea of a large cam...? i've got a 630 lift for my street motor but its only in the low 240's @ 50.... a 465 lift with 264@50 will pound holes in the ground and not need a big head to run (only a big convertor:rolleyes::D)...what are you planning on doing with said such 383. the 383 thats in my 64 chevelle only has a 555 lunati solid roller / 292 adv. pulls hard to 6500 , doesn't necessarily need a big convertor and has gone 7.0's /11.teens in the car. choose wisely on the heads /cam/ intake for your application. but being young....think big:D

7. 30Abone

30Abone

SBC 195cc Street Heads, straight plug w/heat riser, 65cc, complete w/parts $1,510.00
    http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=24_29

8. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Pro-Filers are making some amazing power and rival an AFR in power right out of the box and there not even cnced like an afr and you can get in a set of 210's for under a gand complete, thats whats going on my 406.
    Pro comps are junk! maybe check out the brodix ik 200's another great head for the money.
    You will here all the afr fans pounding there chest on this topic and they should there great heads but they also charge you for every little option plus there around 1,500 with out 7/16 studs or roller springs,
    Check out pro-filers darren morgan from reher morrison is doing all the r&d on them and there making some great numbers all over the board power wise ecs. down low where you need it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. oldchevy

oldchevy

This is the truck i plan to put the 383 in.

Attached Files:

10. brandon

brandon

got a website on the profiler stuff....? are you talking the ray franks deal?

11. brocluno

brocluno

Is this a street fighter that has to run on pump gas, or a race motor that will get race gas? To me, heads and cam are all about CR. The motor is big enough, the rod dwell is a little quick, but you can go 10.5 with aluminum heads all day long and 11+ if you are REAL careful with the quench area. If you can hold the quench to 0.040" (gaskets and all), you can live with a 1/2 point more CR without detonation.

You can't run iron heads over about 10 on street gas out here. Maybe you got better gas where you are? A lot has to due with swirl too. You pay bigger $ for AFR, but they flow well and the make good mixture and swirl. I'd call you favorite cam person and discuss heads with them. Since you have the lower end already, it's time to talk to the cam guys anyway. They can steer you in a good direction.

If you can't afford big bucks aluminum heads, I'd seriously think about a pair of Vortecs and back the CR down to where they will work. They swirl well and will make serious power. You can buy complete Vortecs from GM for about $800 ready to bolt on. Hold the quench to the same spec. The Ausie iron or aluminum heads work well to :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  12. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

http://www.profilerperformance.com/sbc-heads-176.html

Here you go built right in Ohio great guys and they know there product.
    There known for there BB racing heads and intakes but a few years back built these sb heads and there petty amamzing.
    Not much info on them you get over too yellowbullet racing site theres alot of info on them.

Also with a truck that small and light will not take much power to make it run ecs. with a 383 like mentioned ablove if you not going to spin it high, a set of vortecs will be perfect or a set of iron darts.

13. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Don't discount the bang for the buck of a set of Vortec heads, or one of the copies. They'll make 450 HP with nothing but the right springs. The intake side is great out of the box and a little bowl work with some mild exhaust porting and port matching will really make them sing. You can get them ready to go for about $600.

14. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

with the right cam, vortecs will be just what you need to be happy. No need to run aluminum...save the $ difference and buy more parts.

By the way, what edelbrock high rise do you have that is a dual quad set-up? Do you mean tunnel ram? If not a tunnel ram, then post up what it is because that will really make a HUGE difference in your cam/head choice.

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Engine Quest makes great heads, especially the Vortec ones. RHS haven't been so good since manufacturing left New Zealand. I believe RHS heads are cast in Michigan at Dart Machinery. There's quite an interesting history to the aftermarket heads story.

I found Mike Rogers at Roger's Performance Click here: Welcome to Rogers Performance after doing a search for EQ heads. He assembled my new Vortec heads last year and I couldn't be happier. When I had a problem with push rod length he contacted Shaver Racing Engines (Shaver was instrumental in designing/re-designing the Pro-Topline heads) then he ordered in a new set like mine to mock-up. Mike believes in "Old School" customer service.

Good luck with your stroker.

Click here: SBC (383/400) Balancer Flexplate Combo - THE H.A.M.B.
    Click here: SBC Timing Chain - THE H.A.M.B.

16. RacerRick

RacerRick

Don't discount the Dart Iron Eagle Platinums either in 200 or 215cc intake ports. They work better than would be expected out of a iron head.

17. I've got the 200cc Iron Eagles and love them:D

18. colorado51

colorado51

I agree! I am running a 383 with a aggressive Comp hyd roller and a pair of 200cc Dart Iron Eagles. It runs very well!:D

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The Iron Eagles are about $1300.00 (plus tax and shipping, depending).

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I'm surprised no one has mentioned World's SR Torquer heads.
    They seem to be made just for a stroker and reasonably priced?
    I run them on my 383
    But I'm no engine guru

21. ThePuck

ThePuck
    from Ottawa

22. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to the Chevy HiPerformance website and look in the technical archives. They have done several nice articles comparing SBC aftermarket heads. Very informative on flow rates, etc.