Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build me a motor......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fifty5C-Gas, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Ok, I would like some input, and some specs on a motor... Its a 350 and it'll have 2x4's (500cfm each), its goin in my 55 chevy gasser, with a 4 speed, and 3:90 posi 9" rear... im looking for somewhere around 400 horse power (more wouldnt hurt).....you do the rest , heads, cam, etc...thanks, mike

2. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Mike,
    How much do you want to spend? Percent of time spent at the strip? Type of fuel?
    Pete

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I wanna do it so it woulnt make me broke, i'll run it maybe twice a year and i would love it to run on regular, but i wouldnt mind super...thanks,mike

4. RacerRick

RacerRick

400hp budget build...

350 with good bolts inthe rods, and a flattop piston at zero deck. Cast crank and stock rods are fine in a 2 bolt block - but I would stud a 2 bolt for cheap insurance. Cast pistons would even be fine, but 350 forged flattops are cheap, so might as well use them. Run moly rings with standard ring gaps. Make sure you follow the manufacturers recommendations on cylinder wall finish and ring gap.

STAY AWAY FROM HYPERPATHETIC GARBAGE for the pistons.

Put a standard volume oil pump, Z28 windage tray, and stock oil pan. The bottom end is done.

Grab a Comp cams XE268 hydralic flat tappet camshaft, and a good timing set. Stock pushrods are ok, but I would get a set of roller rockers.

Here is where you will get all the power from - get a set of Dart Iron Eagle Platium's in the 180cc intake port size with the 64cc chamber. Specify the hydralic cam springs when you order them. If you look around you can get them for well under $1000.

Run your 2-4 setup with a good ignition, and headers, and you will be easily over 400hp. This setup usually makes close to 425hp with a victor jr and 750-830cfm carb.

The only real expensive part in the entire motor is the heads. Don't skimp on the heads if you want to make HP. This should run fine on pump premium.

If you have the money - step up to a 6" rod, internally balanced 383 and make a boatload more torque and about 25hp more. Scat makes a good setup. I would use a 4 bolt block for this however.

5. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

sounds great guys, thanks.

6. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Both combos should work. I've got to where I like aluminum heads on the street. Platinum heads would be great. Ported Vette heads will work if you have a friendly machinist who will redrill them for your manifold. I would probaly run more camshaft than the 268 but it is hard to pick one for someone else. I'd check to see if your local library has a copy of John Lingenfelter's book or the one that Vizard has written on Chevy combinations.
    Pete

7. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Should I go with a little more cam??, maybe 1 bigger like the XE274H????

8. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Going bigger will most of the time make you LOSE HP. Cams are finicky, they need to be built to the combo to maximize HP and TQ.

9. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

ok, then xe268h it is then....thanks,mike

10. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Rick, it HAS to be a Z28 windage tray???...Why???, please explain...Thanks,Mike