Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick Nailhead Exhaust Headers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by iafraser39, Sep 23, 2018.

1. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I have a custom set of headers on my 401 nailhead. The tubes are 1& 1/2 ins diameter
    on the primaries with a transition section from the the square exhaust ports.
    These tubes feed a 3 ' collector. I'm replacing the 401 with a 425 bored .040 over.
    I'm told that my primary tubes should be 1&5/8 ins. I see that Sanderson headers for
    the 401-425 primary tubes are 1&1/2 ins. My question is " can I run my exhisting headers
    on the 425 or should I builds a new set using 1&5/8ins. tubing? Any advice you can give
    would be greatly appreciated P1010002.JPG .I don't want to burn the valves.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If this is just a cruiser, you will be fine with 1 1/2.

bchctybob and Deuces like this.
  3. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

I wouldn't spend the money if its not necessary. Run what you have for now. The 401 and 425 all have the same size exhaust valves (1.5''). My personal opinion, the exhaust valve diameter combined with duration and lift (based off cam lift) of opening wont flow more air than what can fill a round 1.5'' pipe.

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Makes zero difference, run what you have

bchctybob and Deuces like this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^What they said, and stop using those Fram oil filters!

Hotrodmyk, Deuces, TagMan and 2 others like this.
  6. Good advice.

Deuces likes this.
  7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Keep what you have and enjoy it . If you at full throttle all the time you may or may notice a difference . They type of headers you are running are really not noted for performance gains . Nice car and I love Nail Heads keep it alive and enjoy it

Deuces likes this.
  8. 1.5" is totally unacceptable, we'll take the 425 out next week and put the 401 back. I'll take the 425 off your hands in payment for having my hoist for so long..;)

Clay Belt likes this.
  9. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

You might have to get in line for a freebe

Clay Belt and Deuces like this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Last thing you want to do is choke the engine with too small a diameter primaries, I looked at a Falcon build the other day with a Boss 429 and it had 2 3/8" primaries:eek::eek:

11. Deuces

Deuces

I use headers based on the exhaust valve diameter.... Yours are perfict.. . ;):cool:

12. Buddj

Buddj
    from Arizona

Is there something I should know about Fram filters? And what brand should I use? I have a 62 Electra 225, 401 nailhead, two AFB's. Thanks in advance.

13. desotot

desotot

The good thing about Fram filters is the color. After that everything kinda goes downhill. I have 1.5 inch tubes on my 425 nailhead.
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Your headers will work fine as is for street use.
    If you ever do have another set built, I'd have them use 1 5/8" minimum (I'll be using 1 3/4" on the 425 in my '33 pu) and make sure the finished ports in the header are the same or slightly larger than the ports in the head.

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are multiple threads that attached some pretty conclusive videos about the filter construction of several brands. Use Wix or NAPA gold. I mean damn, if you saw the videos you would not waste money on those Fram filters.

16. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

The only 2 filters that you should ever run are WIX or Napa Gold. Fram filters are restrictive and are built with zero quality control.

17. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

Keep what you have your not going to gain anything by going to a 1-5/8" tube. The 401 and the 425 both use the same heads and you can only pump so much air through those heads.
    X2 because NAPA gold is WIX.

kevinrevin likes this.
  18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

In late because I have an opinion... lol
    1 1/2" is absolutely fine for a 425, they don't spin a lot of R's so it's fine. And Fram filters suck. Ha I said it.

Tman likes this.
  19. Daniel Dudley

Daniel Dudley

You will get better low and mid range flow, so they should help you where you do most of your driving. You would have to go to redline pretty much all the time to really utilize a 1 5/9" pipe. 1 1/5 inch primaries will support up to 325 HP reliably. Are you making that much power?

20. Any headers are better than the stock manifolds. With the small valves in Nailheads, those should work out fine. Those heads do not flow at full-out competition rates. I have custom made 1.5 inch primaries on the headers on the Nailhead in my '35 Pick-up and they are fine for all around driving......other than at WOT how would you know any different????

21. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Yeah. Boss 429s and Buick Nailheads are so similar

kevinrevin and Tman like this.
  22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Exactly the same... ;)

Tman likes this.
  23. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

There is a recent EngineMasters episode that swaps header sizes on a 500 ish HP small block Chevy. I forget it 1 5/8" were the bigger ones or the smaller ones.
    Not much change below 5000 rpm or so I think I recall.
    I'm thinking any under car exhaust is likely to be a weaker link.
    Details like how tight the pipes turn off the cylinder head is mighty important too.
    Over on Speed talk there is a kool thread about "is your exhaust small enough"
    https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=55767