Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick hood hinges on a Shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brock49Ford, May 23, 2009.

1. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Anybody have any pictures of 40s-50s Buick hood hinges on a Shoebox Ford? The ones where the hood will open on either side or you can release both sides and go hoodless.

Thanks

2. Goldchainer$$$

Goldchainer$$$
    from L.A.

I had a Buick and opening the hood was a pain in the ass, if you wanted to get to the side that was not open you had to close it and go around to the other side and open it. Why would you go hoodless on a Shoebox?

3. 62rebel

62rebel

shobox hoods are notoriously flimsy and rely on the hinges for support across the rear. if you made up some kind of reinforcement rib to replace the tension supplied by the hinges you might get somewhere, but it would be pure experimentation. my '51 (supposedly the best of the lot because all the kinks were worked out by '51) would threaten to kink the hood if you looked at it wrong. just my 2cents but i wouldn't do it.

4. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

My car is a 49 so it has the worst hood brace and hinges of them all. I actually like the look of the car hoodless and thought that this may be a good solution; quick and easy way to pull the hood and stiffen the bracing up. Any other input? Pics?

5. john walker

john walker

nothing easy about the buick hood setup. check one out some day.

6. rat_rod_ruler

rat_rod_ruler
    BANNED
    from Florida

Hey man this is an awesom rat rod you have in your profile picture. Care to tell me about it?

Don

7. Would be easier to put hood pins front and back and not use hinges at all, wouldn't it?