Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick guys - 322 timing chain help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny boracho, Oct 4, 2007.

1. johnny boracho

johnny boracho

i've got a 1953 - 322 buick nailhead...got the # 1 piston ( passenger side ) @ top dead center...... the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket do not line up.........my understanding is that the cam sprocket should be @ 6 o'clock and the crank sprocket @ 12......these are the right parts that i'm using......anyone encountered any problems like this before or have any suggestions....

2. johnny boracho

johnny boracho

3. squirrel

squirrel

the 1953 motors manual says for the Buick V8 engine:

Attached Files:

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Reading Squirrel's post, I think I remember that the timing marks were at 90 degrees from up and down when the chain and dots lined up. Why don't you just go for even overlap at TDC on the exhaust stroke end-intake stroke begining. Both valves should be open the same amount.

5. Judd

Judd

Two plated washers on the timming chain line up 12 teeth apart on the drivers side with the o's on the gears with it on TDC.

6. johnny boracho

johnny boracho

thanks so much guys, lots of help....we got it fired up and running last nite...thanks