Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Engine ID help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyknucklehill, Dec 8, 2009.

1. hey hambers.. i need a little info on how to correctly identify a buick 340.. i dug around on the net a bit and couldn't come up with any casting numbers to look for.. i'm going to look at an engine soon but i want to make sure it's what i need.. i'm looking for casting numbers and where they would be.. also if anyone could toss in numbers for a Buick 350 that would work too.. i just need this motor to be a Buick 340 or 350 to work.. thanks HAMB

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Just looking at the intake will tell whether or not it's a 350. The 300 and 340 engines had an intake port pattern of 1-2-1, while the 350 had intake ports paired 2 and 2, like a sbc. Also, every Buick 350 intake I've seen has a large "350" cast on the top of the rear of the manifold.

4. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Anyone need a 300 cubic inch Buick?..and tranny..........out of a 66 Skylark...

I need a hood for a 49/59 Ford car and a good GM tilt column...

Just finished up the "home built" triangulated 4 link for the rear....used up a bunch of extra 4 link stuff that we had around...it turned out pretty good and the geometry is just fine for the app.........used QA1 coil overs and some of our TexasThunder 185 springs on the rear.

not trying to hijack, but this Buick is in my way..........has a slight knock but the tranny is ok.

Mark

5. if you really weren't trying than you must be a natural:p Just playin.. i found the casting numbers i needed.. thanks all..

6. squirrel

squirrel

It's probably hard to find the casting numbers because the 340 and 350 are engines you can just look at, and tell what they are. at least some of us who worked in junkyards way back when can.

7. well i went and looked at the engine.. got some numbers off of it.. i looked at that team buick site and compared the numbers but none of them seem to match up.. if anyone can tell me what these numbers belong it would really help.

intake manifold: 1367485
    heads: 1374870

the number i found on the block was right where the bell on the tranny bolted to the block and was 137487

did i mention i know little to nothing about GM engines? Who knows, i may have gotten a couple of the numbers wrong. The engine was pretty crusty

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  8. Buford

Buford

9. squirrel

squirrel

if you can take some pictures of it and post them here, that would help a lot, if the numbers thing doesn't work out.

10. k i'll do that.. i think i'm gonna just buy it anyways cause the price is right..