Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Drums, so why not use the hubs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29RAT, Jan 31, 2006.

1. sota

sota

anyone have a set they want to sell?

2. NeedFiber

NeedFiber

Looking for a set as well. Thanks, Dave

3. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! March, 1998 Street Rodder ran an article on how to adapt Buick brakes (both brake drums and backing plates) to a Ford, was done with a simple adapter between the Buick backing plate and the Ford spindle, was also able to adapt Buick brakes to the Ford rear axle. Wayne Atkinson did the swap.

4. NeedFiber

NeedFiber

What hubs did they use?

5. The backing plates were the early four bolt (pretty rare these days) not the later 3 bolt style, they can be adapted but it's a LOT of work. A friend of mine makes the adapters though for the early backers (Karas Kustoms here in AZ).

6. chubbie

chubbie

29 rat... you still in the buick brake adapter business??? maybe time for another run??

7. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

He doesn't but sanfordsotherson does. Got two sets from him and they are the same high quality.
    john

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  8. Sanfordsotherson and I worked out a deal for the "other" run.. So yes I'm still in the adapter business but for now you can get them from him until he runs out.

9. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

Good to know for future needs.

10. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

done with 29RAT adapters

Attached Files:

11. mm265

mm265
    from Kansas

I was wondering if you still make the adapters and if you do how much?

12. Lil Bastard

Lil Bastard
    from belgium

are you still selling these and do you ship to belgium?
    greets

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Looks like a great business opportunity!!! Necessity has spawned many an enterprise !

4TTRUK

14. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used 29Rat's adapters with my set up. Stock A spindles, my own adapters for adapting the 3 bolt '61 Buick backing plates to Ford spindles clocked 90* for the best fit.

I wanted to run all Buick brakes and hubs and with his adapters I have been able too.

BloodyKnuckles

grail likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

16. DenyP

DenyP

I was wondering where I could get a set of the bearing adapters, I have the spacers Deny P

17. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Hey all,
    I love this forum bench racing with all the guys who've been there and done that! i'm working on two separate projects that involve similar issues. one is a model A and a '53-4 buick frame that i cut the front spindles rear and trans out of. The other is a stock '52 F3 that I want to adapt to 5 lug Dale F and Frisco I would love anymore technical advice you can offer on putting these buick spindles on the A axle as for the F3 I managed to find a pair of F1 hubs but no backing plates. From all the threads I've read i think i can adapt my shoes to 70's F250 self adjusters and use the rear plates with bigger late '60's wheel cyls but now i'm stuck up here (canada) we have terrible rust issues and basically most older stuff is junked getting Buick alum drums ,pontiac transmission guts w oldsmobile cases etc. is like finding hen's teeth so that being said does anyone have any ideas for drums? the F3 drums arent reproed anymore cornbinders had 12x2 front drums but those arent avail either. Any ideas? -thanks and I really appreciate any thoughts on the matter

18. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

19. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I just bought a '64 Wildcat for a future project. I don't need anymore projects but these 45 drums are getting scarce and since this car was reasonably priced with its original nailhead 4bbl engine and I said oh well I might as well buy it. Is there another run of these adapters being made???

20. I contacted sanfordsotherson<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true); </SCRIPT> he had a set you might check and see if he has any more

Cirilian likes this.
  21. well I got a set of adapter from sanfordsotherson<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true); </SCRIPT> he still has them.

They are professionally made and well thought out, instruction are well done 2 will post pictures soon

22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great thread and cool tech! subscribed!

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I need a set of these, anyone else looking for some? I tried sanfordsotherson, no response, and 29rat hasnt logged on for months. Anyone have current contact info for 29rat?

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sanfords other son has hooked me up. Figured I should add that here.

25. I have a set of '48 back plates w/a nice set of Buick drums and the brg races to use on the '48 spindles. It's ready to install, the work has been done on the backing plates & primered. $600. plus shipping.

26. glad he hooked you up falcongeorge

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Already got a set of adaptors from Sanford, and I have 2 sets of mint '39/'40 backing plates, 90 fin drums, and a nice pair of squarebacks, so Im good thanks.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Got my adaptors from Sanfordsotherson today, just wanted to say how impressed I am by the all around effort he puts into this, even includes clear instructions, and very neatly packaged as well, Good stuff, Thanks a bunch Donnie, you can put me down as a satisfied customer...

Tuck likes this.
  29. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom