Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Drums.......Cleaning, polishing tech tips anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mecutem, Oct 14, 2003.

1. mecutem

mecutem

I am putting buick finned drums on my hot rod. Hopefully all four corners. I have glass beaded a pair and they look good. What I am wondering here is how to get the shine and get them clean without having to polish. I have seen them smoothed and polished and they look awesome but must be an almost impossible task to do four of them.

I notice with the drums I have that some are smoother than others and some have more lustre than others. Anyone have any tricks to clean them up without tons of elbow grease? Anyone have an idea what the cost is to have one drum polished smooth. I know there is one hamber on here who does polishing and plating, can't recall him name though. Anyone care to share any tips or secrets? Thanks much Steve

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

There is no way to do it without putting in the work and time unless you pay someone else to put in the work and time. Most only do the fronts on fenderless rods because the rears are hidden between the tire and body and are a bitch to adapt anyway. By the time you've polished 2 drums and 2 backing plates so the plates can be chromed or painted, you won't want to do the rears, trust me on this one. Set up your buffer on a sturdy stand, start with the coarse stick, pick up the drum and have at it. Oh, and do it outside so the crap doesn't turn everything in your shop black.
    [​IMG]

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

believe it or not, the guy who does polishing and plating goes by the tag of 'polisher' [​IMG]
    if you can get hold of him he'll email you a how to guide to polishing.nice fella.