Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick Charging question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bruce Fischer, Nov 6, 2013.

1. On my 56 buick wagon when running the charging gage shows just barely charging. When I turn the headlights on it shows a big discharge .Every thing worked fine before I swapped motors. Theres a new voltage regulator in it .Could I have hooked up the wires wrong on the generator?Any help ?Thanks Bruce.:confused:

2. Start with cleaning up the grounds and making sure that the battery is fully charged. Trace the generator/regulator wiring using an old Motors Manual. I'm sure you must have that or the equivalent by now.

Since you changed the voltage regulator, I would polarize the generator and regulator from scratch. The Motors Manual has a section in it. I haven't done one since 1974 or so and I forget the procedure.

Bob

3. The battery is fully charged and the voltage regulater has been polizered.My manual doesn't show the wiring for the generator.I did trace the field wire on the generator back to the field back to the voltage regulator. Still leaves me with 2 wires I am not sure where they go? Thanks Bruce.