Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick brakes and Chevy spindles question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xlr8, Jan 27, 2009.

1. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I have a complete set of '59 Buick brakes and I've seen several articles on adapting them to Ford spindles, but I've seen axles for sale for 49-54 Chevy spindles and I'm wondering if that swap would actually be easier since it's all GM. Anybody know what it takes to put the Buick brake, backing plate and all, on the Chevy spindles? Thanks.

2. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Nobody's ever done this? Let me ask this question then, when people buy the new dropped axles made for Chevy spindles, what kind of brakes do you use? I'm just wondering why these axles are even offered if no one uses them. To me the Chev spindles just look a lot more substantial than the old Fords.

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

They would use 51-54 Chev Bendix brakes. The 49-50 Chev brake were the old Huck style.

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

This will probably only add to the mystery but: a guy brought a set of Buick drums/hubs to me to adapt to his Ford spindles. The spindles already had Chevy (?year) hubs and disc brake rotors on them. I ordered the adapters from Rat29 (here on the H.A.M.B.) before getting into the job. When I took the Chevy hubs off the spindles there was already a machined adapter in place. For the Hell of it, I tried the Buick inner bearing race and it fit. Then I installed the entire Buick drum/hub and it worked. Makes me wonder--are the chevy spindles the same as the Buick spindles thus not needing an adapter?

5. ironhead68

ironhead68

I just finished adapting Buick drums and big brakes to my '34Chev axle. Used 51-54 hubs (same bearings). Redrill drums to 4 3/4".Backing plates needed a little filing for clearance. A single washer (spacer) put the brakes in the right location in the drums. Correct wheel studs (longer) were a search, but I have a Dorman part# somewhere. Still a retard at posting pics, but working onit

6. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

It's starting to sound promising. :) Sounds easier than the Ford spindle swap if a guy's gonna buy a front axle anyway.

7. ironhead68

ironhead68

Oops..forgot about machining the centering ring.Outside diameter is Buick drum i.d.to Inside diameter is Chev hub o.d.

8. mecutem

mecutem

I too would like to put the big buick drums on 49-54 chevy spindles. Axle came to me with the chevy spindle disc setup and I don't like the looks on the front of a open wheel hot rod. If enough times goes by I may just find out how easy or difficult this swap is. Sure can save time though if someone has already done the research and will share. Steve