Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick Brake ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ty johnson, May 13, 2014.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

I recently got all my brakes together front and rear. I have an issue with the front Buick conversion. I used a 56 f250 that i got from RichB. I'm using 40 hubs on the inside of the drum like the tech does.Technical *Tech Week*F2/F250 Brakes & Buick Drums* - THE H.A.M.B.. Any ways when i mount the wheel up on the drum it locks the drum to the backing plate. My ? is do i need to turn the drums inner lip about 3/16". If i slide a 1/2 washer over the stud, then install the drum it clears.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Turn the drums where they hit. That's what I do.

3. yes, you have to remove part of the inner aluminum lip for clearance

4. ty johnson

ty johnson

That's what I was going to do, just didn't want to ruin anything.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I turned the lip

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the '48-'52 F-250 backing plates and Buick drums, but the hubs were from Wilson Welding in Flower Mound, TX. which have a much thicker flange than stock hubs. I didn't have any clearance problems.

7. If you get a chance, take a picture of the area you had to turn, and if possible let us know how much you had to cut it.

Put quite a few of these set-ups together and have not come across a clearance problem previously.

This would be good info to record, in case this issue comes up again.

8. ty johnson

ty johnson

I will Rich. It's not rubbing much if i can slip a 1/8" thick washer between to make it clear.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. gtowagon

gtowagon

I had to mill a little bit of the buick drums lip with my Wilson welding backing plates and hubs

10. A set that a buddy did has the oposite problem. He had about 1/8 inch of shoe hanging out of the drum.

11. Curious what he did to end up spaced that far out, even F-1 hubs only move the drum out 3/32" or so compared to the 01A '40 style hubs. Unless maybe he cut both the aluminum and iron liner back. Saw some Buick drums that were over-cut that way once, guy was trying to unload them at a swapmeet.
    Here's a picture showing the overlap you normally have with this set-up. You can also see the corner where Ty possibly has his interference, just needs a little trim
    on edge, nothing like the amount you have to cut when using the small diameter Lockheed or repop Lincoln backing plates.
    drum fit 1.JPG drum fit 2.JPG

12. ty johnson

ty johnson

I put some grease on the lip and it's exactly like your cut away shows Rich. Going to put them in the brake lathe and turn that edge back and then everything should be great.

13. He used 40 spindles & hubs. No cutting on the hub or drum

Attached Files:

14. That is a Ford Lockheed brake backing plate in your picture, not the Bendix type that Ty was asking about.

If your fried wants to use the Lockheed brakes with Buick drums he should use the other style of Ford (or aftermarket) hub where the drum mounts on the inside of the flange. He could also modify his "inside" mount hub to be used on the "outside", there is an article in the August '84 Street Rodder that shows the procedure. I've never done it that way, so I can't say how accurately the magazine covers it. It looks like it would mount the drum a little deeper, which would require more of cut on the inner edge of the drum. The article doesn't show and just barely mentions the drum cut; which is typical as a lot of these old articles seem to leave out or overlook important details.

15. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

buickdrums.jpg Cutting the drum to clear the back plate is the best way. It might be different depending on what year backplates you have and/or spindles. Here's mine.