Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Brake to early ford spindle tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, May 13, 2006.

1. marq

marq

Ok Guys n gals i finally got it done and a hard slog it has been too.I will say please do not post untill you see the words THE END.Ok here goes i won't bore you with the why i wanted to do it i just did ok.Now there are a number of options for using Buick drums which i will run through but what about the backing plates?i wanted to use everything Buick i could to go on my Ford Square back spindles ,it didn't quite work that way but i have now come to a conclusion it don't matter now and i can always use the Buick hubs in the future.However what i did use was Buick backing plates with Buick drums and a ford hub,i now have awesome stopping power .Now the options are as follows.40 ford backing plates with the following.Early ford hubs 39-41 inside 42-48 outside,53-56 f100 inside with bearing conversion and of course Buick with the adapters from 29rat here on the Hamb.

2. marq

marq

So now to the backers.You will need a set of spacers,i bought mine from Metecm from the hamb they are precision turned and worth every penny.[​IMG]

This was a photo from Metecms thread i think showing the spacer and Buick backer[​IMG]

This phot shows the plate that has been welded and drilled and cut to accept the spacer.At this point you can do a couple of things to turn the centre out it's a tad over 3 inches i think.You can actually do this at home,a mate of mine has actually carefully filed his out but it took time and patience.You can use a good hole saw after welding a blank in and centring but i took mine to a shop down the road who did a smart job and fast.

3. marq

marq

Now if you are going the Buick route you need a set of spacers from 29rat and a set of Buick hubs and drums .At this point you will install the buick backers with the spacers and then fit the spindle adapters from 29rat.Hopefully you will have a nice thin set of 5 on 5 Buick rims and hey presto your up and running.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    above are the close up of the spindle adapters

4. marq

marq

For those of us that have a harder time gettin American stud pattern wheels easily we can go the ford hub route.But the drums will have to be drilled and the best place is an engineering shop.I had the old holes welded up then the centre was taken from the old Buick centre so they do actually run true

you will also need a set of studs that are about 1/2 inch longer as the ali drum is thicker than the old iron one

5. marq

marq

here is a shot of the finished Hub/drum combo[​IMG]

6. marq

marq

Now the Brake plates and spacers were installed on the spindle using Longer bolts 3/4 longer to be precise. I also took the chance to use all metal locking nuts while i was at it.Don't forget when installing brake shoes make sure the leading shoe faces the front of the vehicle.[​IMG]

7. marq

marq

Now when i put my hubs and drums on i found for some reason they were very tighton the new shoes.i later discovered that the brake anchor pin has an off-seteither up or down ,you have to turn this acordingly to whether you have early or late shoes.I don't know which i have but i needed the off-set to be at the bottom so the pin has to be unbolted taken out and turned around.To adjust correctly you have to first bleed the brakes,then have someone stand on the pedal while you undo the bolt and retighten.You can then adjust with adjuster as normal.[​IMG]

8. marq

marq

Now my choice to use the f100 hubs were twofold really ,firstly i had them already (cheapo)and secondly i wanted the drum as far into the wheel as i could.I'm sure the early ford ones would give you the same look (about 1 inch out of the wheel)but the later 42-48 hubs will take the drum out some 3/4 inch further.I'm not saying that is wrong because you use what you have around but my preference is for the look i have.I'm sure i have missed lots of info out as this is my first feeble attempt at a tech but if you need more info pm me and i would be more than pleased to give you what info i have.I must say i'm pleased with the overall result as they are very very powerful and were very easy to adjust up what do you think?[​IMG][/IMG]
    THE END
    [​IMG]

9. marq

marq

10. Thanks Paul.
    Max

11. Andy

Andy

I think you will find that there is a problem with the backing plate offset.If you look at one shot you show, the flats on the backing plate that the shoes run against are pretty far towards the axle. They may be outside the fins on the drum. The brake surface is well inside that. I don't think the shoes are completely inside the brake drum. You need to do a dimensional layout and see where everything is ending up. I am running the big shoes and my backing plates are completely inside the drums. I even trimmed 1/4" off the fins because the plates were so far inside the drums. Looked better.

12. marq

marq

no it all checks out the shoes are making contact along the whole width.it also measures up to the buick specs too although the photo may make it loo out........Marq

13. Mart

Mart

Nice work Marq.
    Look great and they would certainly outperform conversions using the early ford backplates.
    Mart.

14. marq

marq

Andy after looking over some posts where Buick drums are used you are right with 40 or lincoln backers the plates do go in further.Mine however are the original Buick plates and drums they won't go in any further as the plate runs inside the ..............Marq

15. gashog

gashog

You can make those brakes self adjusting with the parts from early 60's big Buick (ie Le Sabre; front and rear) or 1971-76 Caprice Wagon 12" rears. [​IMG]

16. adavis

adavis

So if I use the spacers for my Buick backing plates AND the adapters for my Buick hubs will that throw off the spacing of the brake setup on the spindle? In other words, is the 37-40 Ford spindle long enough to use the entire Buick setup (backing plate, brakes, and hubs) even with that spacer for the backing plate? Also, do you know if 29rat is still selling those Buick hub adapters?

17. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Yes. The spacer on the backing plate doesn't take up any "spindle length". It just basically makes the backing plate flat by taking up that huge depression in the middle, and puts the backing plate in the same place it would be if it were an F2 plate or something.