Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick brake drum liner replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul2748, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Paul2748

Paul2748

On Buick aluminum brake drums, can the steel liner be replaced? Or if it has been turned too much is it worthless as a brake deum?

Thanks

2. wwpete

wwpete
    from milwaukee

I believe the liner has some way to register it in the aluminum to keep it from slipping. There was an article 2 or 3 years ago in Street Rodder about a company that was relining the Merc Turnpike cruiser drums. I would guess they could do the same. Or, I have a mess of old ones.

3. Look under Pontiac parts in Hemmings. Theres a guy that relines the 8 lug drums for 60's pontiac. Might be a good place to start..

I do know its not very cheap. I think finding a useable set would be cheaper. They still could be useable, I read somewhere that you can put them over F100 drums, like the new "covers" they sell.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I found and posted a buick reliner contact a year or two ago, but prices were such finding a better drum would have made sense. This was via some Buick resto place. I would assume he bores out all or most of original liner and presses in a part--original I think was cast in place with holes to lock the parts together.

5. Paul2748

Paul2748

Thanks for the information

6. WQ59B

WQ59B

FYI :: '58 drums had the holes in the steel liners and the aluminum drum was poured around it. Starting in '59 the steel liners were solid, and the liners were cooled and the drums were heated and the liner was slid in quick so it became an interference fit.

7. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Check with Wilson Welding