Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick 425 replacement carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eagletucky, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Been having troubles with my Riviera running properly. The carb seems tired. Instead of having the thing rebuilt (again), I was curious, do any of you guys recommend a specific brand and size of carb? Does anyone make a bolt up replacement?

Its a 1964 425 buick w/a 4 barrel, no mods to the engine or drivetrain.

Any info would be greatly apprieciated.

2. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

It's a matter of which intake you have. They can either take a quadrajet or the carter AFB. Most likely you can you the eldebrock[AFB replacement} on it. The nailheads like alot of carberation so I'd use a 700cfm. TP

3. Splinter

Splinter

I'm having my 401 Nail rebuilt right now, had to do a .60 overbore (now a 413), and the guy told me a 750 Edelbreezy was the way to go...

4. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Alright boys. bought a edelbrock performer 750 today. Installing it tomorrow.... anything out of the ordinary I need to know?

Thanks

Timmy

5. sixdfive

sixdfive
    from So-cal

Let me know how that goes. I had one on my 425 and couldn't get it to run for the life of me. I had a few people trying to tune it and we couldn't get it to work ended up putting the stock carb back on. Next time I will try the Holley.

6. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Threw that bee-och on tonight, drove it around the hood till dark. No headlights (converting to 65 headlights). In the 10 minutes I drove it, ran flawlessly, with no changes outside of turning the idle screw back a hair. The exhaust smells a little rich. I'll post more info as I drive it.

Thanks for the intrest.

Timmy

7. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Been on the highway, local streets. Not a hiccup, hesitation or miss. This thing runs awesome!!!! Its odd how the same carb works great for one person, but not another.

I recommend this change to anyone with a 425 nailhead.

Thanks,

8. sixdfive

sixdfive
    from So-cal

Glad to hear that worked out for you. I just recently put the msd distributor on my 425 and that thing works bitchin.

9. repoguy

repoguy

I ran a carter 625 on mine & it ran good. In retrospect I should've gone with the 750. Nailheads love big carbs. My future plan (once I get the body fixed) is to run a quadrajunk, because the spreadbore intake flows way better than the squarebore.

God I miss driving my 65. I could cry just thinking about it. It was my favorite. It still sits at my house in Florida with the drivers side smashed from front to back.

Here's what she looked like before (you don't even want to see the "after").

[​IMG]

10. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Nailheads love carberation. I guess you can over carb it but you could throw a 2x4 intake on it, tune it, and it would still run better.