Register now to get rid of these ads!

buick 340

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelttom, May 1, 2007.

1. modelttom

modelttom

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I just found a good running 1966 buick 340 with a powerglide for $500.00..I am going to build a 60's styled hot rod (27 model t sedan chopped and channeled) I was wondering if that would be a good engine for the job or am I wasting my time? Does any one make finned valve covers or any other period correct parts for this? Any pics? thanks

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

speed parts are few and far between for that thing... there are better choices in my opinion...

3. I had a '67 GS/340 when I was in high school it was a fixer. No one believed it was a buick motor. All the motor heads in school told me it was a mopar engine. Damn, I miss that car.:(

4. 28pontiac

28pontiac

The 340 is a sister to the 215 and 300 and a cousin of the Buick 350... Posten ent. in Atlanta !?! sells some performance parts (Cam, headers etc.). The front cover is universal on all of these motors, which is one of the weak links because it is made of aluminum and houses the water pump and oil pump. Use the Melling high volume oil pump kit for longevity! Buick made 4 barrel intakes in aluminum and cast iron, the aluminum being pretty rare. One interesting note is that Rover bought the rights to the aluminmum 215 in the late 60's / early 70's, so rebuild parts are still available.

I have a Buick 300 (the 340 was basicly a stroked 300... The rotating assy was similar, the heads the same, block was a little taller) in my '66 Buick Skylark convertible. I built the motor 10 years ago and probably have 100,000 miles on it since. The motors are pretty torque-y, not so much H.P. but aren't cookie cutter SBC / SBF. I am running an aluminum 4 barrel intake with a Poston Cam, balanced rotating assy.... I spent quite a bit of time blueprinting and gasket matching everything and am real pleased with the results. My only real bitch about the motor is that it eats points (The distributor is in the front, near the radiator and all of the heat), and the valvetrain gets noisy real easy (non-adjustable rockers-you have to get the valve-stem length correct). When i had it fresh and tuned well, it would propel my 3700lb. Buick to mid to high 14's at 90mph in the quarter. I am running a 3:55 gear, stock stall converter and a 350 turbo.

One other thought, check the tranny again, it might be the Super-Turbine 300, which is the BOP powerglide, but has a switch pitch converter.

Hope this helps...

Andy

5. 28pontiac

28pontiac

Oh... no period correct dress up parts that I know of, other than the original GS "star wars" air cleaners. There is a Buick-head website, I think its called BuickV-8.com that may have pics and more info... I've only been on that forum a few times, they really cater to the staged 350's and 455's....

Also its Poston Ent... There are always ads in the back of (gasp!) Hot Rod and Car Craft.

Andy

6. modelttom

modelttom

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Thanks for the info
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>