Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick 340 redline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Hey all, just doing some midnight thinking. I have a '66 Buick 340 we are wanting to use in a project. Its a bone stock Wildcat 350. The car it might be going in already has 4.10 gears in the rear and 8.20-15 tires. What we want to know is if the 4600rpm it would theoretically be spinning at 100mph would be at all reasonable. I know these were rated for peak HP at 4000, so to me 5000 seems reasonable to obtain... when I drove the car this motor was in, it would readily cruise at 90mph with the 3.23 gears it had... but I dont know all the stock specs of these engines, and as mentioned this one is every bit of stock down to the stock cam and 2jet..

anyways, just something that got me thinking and I want to know your thoughts.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Should be ok to spin it that fast, if that's what you're asking. Usually stock cams run out of umph somewhere between 4 and 5 thou.

3. I agree, if the cam and heads will support the airflow, 5000 rpm should be safe on the bottom end. Maybe not for real long durations, but for a good full throttle burst and shifting through the gears it is pretty safe. With the stock intake, carb, cam, heads, and exhaust it may be struggling to get up to 5000 though.

4. oldolds

oldolds

I doubt it will pull much past 4000 rpm in high gear. 2 bbl will limit that as well.