Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick 322 Wont Stay Running: Low Compression

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Sep 14, 2011.

1. 3spd

3spd

I have a 1955 Buick 322 with a unknown amount of miles that I just managed to get started but it won't stay running for more than 30 seconds.

The cold compression is very low, 40's-60's. To even get it to start I have to add oil to each cylinder to bring the compression up and then it will run for about 30 seconds before abruptly cutting out. After it has ran the plugs are fouled with oil.

Another thread suggested the problem was gummed up/stuck rings. I have tried letting the engine sit with a 50/50 ATF diesel mix for over 24 hours and that didn't seem to help any. Should I let it sit longer? Should I try brake fluid? Do I just need to pull the cylinders and re-ring it? I have the timing set at 0*, should I have it set differently? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ryland

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Sounds like it's time for an overhaul...

3. 3spd

3spd

If I had more time and money I would re-build the '56 block I have or find a GS with a 425 and do a drive train swap... But I don't. I need to drive this wagon around the block by the 26th or I have to find a new place to keep it or sell it which I really do not want to do.

Thanks,
    Ryland