Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buffing paint help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porsche930dude, Nov 15, 2008.

1. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

I just painted my 67 cj-5 single stage acrylic enamel. It came out a bit rough and not real shiny because of the roughness. Im not sure how to go about buffing it. I dont have a power buffer. Or do i need to wet sand it? Its a metalic color? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Big Red Rat

Big Red Rat
    from Hartly, DE

If it's still masked and apart, wet sand with some 1500, go with a couple coats of clear. But blow and tack real good before you spray. If it comes out a little rough after the clear, then you can sand and buff without messing up the metallic finish. Good luck.

3. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

i dont like to ever shoot a metalic enamel
    (tiger stripes )but this is what you got you can wet sand and wheel it ive noticed depending on the type of hardner used this can make it buff easy or hard .id 1500 then 2000 then buff it remember that sanding the enamel will take off some of the paint and so will the buffer hope you have enough on there
    ive had the best luck with painters pride 747 hardner ..for polishing

4. Marc-OS

Marc-OS

I would first try buffing with a heavy cut compound, some of that stuff is like liquid sandpaper. If that doesn't get it shiny enough, then wet sand and buff.

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

First, get yourself an electric buffer or rent one. Do not wetsand it. You can't wetsand SS metallics. For next time, never use SS for metallics. Try buffing it, but that looks awfully flat to me, are you sure whoever mixed the paint did it right?

6. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Ok thanks guys. Ill see what i can do with it. Its definatly gloss just not a great camera. If anything it was the spray gun i used. Definatly not the highest quality of guns

7. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Could it have been because i used old reducer? I think im just going to spray it again. The question is do i do another color coat with different reducer and get my gun to spray better. Or do i just clear it ? And do i need to do anything to it now that is dry? Thanks again

8. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Will wetsanding before clear mess up the metallic or will the clear smooth it out?

9. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

If it was me I would probably wet sand everything with 1000 untill you get the orange peel smoothed out and then re- shoot everything again. Take a look at the reducer you are using and make sure it is correct (acrylic vs enamel) I've seen a dull - dry paint job on a car due to the fact that enamel reducer was used with acrylic single stage.

10. helmsville

helmsville

i would sand 600# grit light base coat and then clear.

11. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Metallics don't usually sand/buff very well. End up with blotches. If the metallics are laid down evenly the you could respray with clear and wet sand/buff that out. Just have to bury the paint with alot of clear. Or just reshoot the whole thing.

12. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Oh i admit to not knowing what im doing. I wish i went with bc/tc at this point i just thought this would be easier with one spray. Im pretty sure i just didnt lay enough on so it didnt allow it to flatten out. It does look more normal in spots where i got it thicker. I guess the plan is like caddy-o said . Wet sand everything to smooth it out and respray it wet. I see a few spots that are too thin anyway. Also im going to get some new reducer maby a fast to help with a bit lower temp? The stuff i used was like 7 or 8 years old and it was an open jug. That was stupid i know. The damn guy at the paint shop didnt advise me very well either. So hopefully that takes care of it. If not ill probrobly just lay a clear. Im not feeling confident buffing the ss will improve it. Perhaps after it has a nice sheen it will but not now.

13. duste01

duste01

I would bet money that it was too cold to spray. You might try adjusting your temp. too.
    i'm with caddy as well, as to the plan of attack. You need around three coats to get a uniform covering. If your shooting metallic you need to watch your patterns of application as well.

14. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Well the temp was right about 70 degrees as recommended. And it was ok in spots where i layed it weter. One last newb question of the day. Do i need to wet sand every square inch or just the rough areas? It will be a week or more before i respray it.

15. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Wet sand the entire vehicle with #400. Use a soft rubber block. Thats good enough if you plan to shot it with AE again. You can follow up with #600 wet if you like, but no way do you need #1000 unless you're a sucker for punishment.

Try a medium flow reducer with the temp around 70 or so. One medium coat, let flash (15 min) then a fairly heavy second coat. Let flash 10 min. and then dust coat the equivalent of 2 light coats wet on wet to give uniform metallic. Flash times will vary with temp & humidity.....good luck with it.

16. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

thanks. im gonna need it

17. bikersteve

bikersteve

Have to agree with the other posts, sand it down and squirt it again, if your going to stick with the single stage the flash times between coats are important, don't rush it. With an enamel it's only going to shine when it's dry if it shines when it's wet, put enough paint on till it's almost ready to run off the car. Like 38plymouth said, a couple of lite coats sprayed wet on wet will help even out the flake. There is a product called Smootie, which can help with overall flow, use sparingly though, a few drops per cupfull.

hope that helps!

18. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

it came out pretty good guys. Far from perfect but i can live with it. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]