Register now to get rid of these ads!

Budget intake and carbs for Chevy 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Coalition, Sep 17, 2012.

1. I am currently building a '27 T lakes modified and trying to keep it traditional looking. This car is not built with NOS parts at all. It is a fiberglass body but we and the previous owner have been intentional about putting the best quality parts on it to keep the nastalgic look. I bought this car pretty much as it sits and I'd like to complete it in time for the GNRS. Budget is a huge concern as we are following this build on a few forums and we are trying to complete it for $10K. Here is the question...In your opinion or experience where can I find an intake that will keep up with the current look. I am still new to this and just looking for some opinions. I'd love to find a complete set up where I can pretty much drop the intake and carbs on my motor and be done. Thanks for your input and I hope I was clear about what I am looking for. Have a great week guys.

Attached Files:

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

There are intake/carb drop-in combos available, but they arent very cheap or vintage. Speedway has some trip-deuce combos, but they use thier knockoff strombergs and are close to 2000.

If I were you I'd be looking for something like this, the linkage is there and, though the carbs are not truly vintage , they are pretty damn foolproof and about the easiest carb there is to rebuild.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-EDELBROCK-WEBER-1406-8867-600CFM-CARBS-OFFENHAUSER-360-DUAL-CARB-INTAKE-/271010281309?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2112749341309921006%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ready to drop on combo setup will probably cost quite a bit more then finding something like a 3-2 intake that takes Rochester carbs and finding three of the right size two barrels and buying the kit with the bases minus idle circuits.

Or how about 2 4's on an early Corvette intake? Only a couple of hours left on this one but so far the price is in the budget range 330792093053 Ebay number. you would have to find the carbs But that would have been late 50's hot lick for sure.

I stumbled on this site with ready to go setups. http://www.vintagespeed.com/ As Dreadybear said, not inexpensive.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  4. I was going to say a 2x4 setup is going to be the easiest to tune if you want a multi carb setup. So I am thinking along the same lines as Mr48... here.

Here is another thing to think about, not every car out there was running more than one car the majority were only running one carb, an oil fill type of single 4 intake with a carter AFB or a single Holley would be real period and what was seen more than any onther setup on a small block chevy.

5. squirrel

squirrel

you should be able to find an iron intake from a 4bbl 283 from the late 50s-early 60s for peanuts. Then you just have to find a carb you can get working that will fit on it, like a WCFB or a 4GC.

That's the budget answer.

You can also spend a lot of money and get real fancy. It's up to you.

6. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

I have seen guys on a budget use a standard 2 barrel intake and bolt a plate under the carb that extends front and back and mount 2 non-functioning 2 barrels that looks like a 3x2 setup but is cheap and fools most....would help get the look and spread your bucks out til you can find /afford the real thing... I personally like things that function, but just a thought....the real 3x2 setups are fairly expensive these days

7. Put anything on it. Traditionalists will spot those 4 wheel disc brakes before they comment on the intake. :cool:

8. Keep the idea's coming! I am going to check out these idea's during my lunch break.

9. I'd love to trade/sell those brakes so that I could get a SoCal 40 Ford set up. The brakes came on the car like that.

10. I take it back! The SoCal set up is 2,000 not very budget friendly.

11. TheDozer

TheDozer

Heck, if ya want cheap, I've got a cast SBC 4bbl intake you can have, free. It's a boat anchor sure but it'll do it's job until you get what you really want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. I am loving some of the dual carbs for a 350 set up. I already have an Edelbrock airgap manifold on it and it looks like Vintage speed has numerous dual carb set ups that will bolt right in for about 800.00.

13. Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind and I really do appreciate you offering that to me.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I hope you don't intend to put two 2bbls on an adapter on top of the air gap intake?

15. Excuse me, I think I didn't clarify. What I meant was that the 350 currently has an air gap intake but I don't plan on using it especially if I go with two 2bbls. However, I am still new at this and learning what would look right on the car even though it is all glass.

16. squirrel

squirrel

Two fours on an early style intake would be neat. Especially if you get a pair of the early 4bbls, with the small base, and an early intake that they fit. The later design like the Edelbrock that fits two AFBs would look ok, not quite as neat as the early ones though.

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If you're even considering ordering a complete setup I would check with Dickster27 here on the hamb before anyone else. My guess is he'll be more affordable and I know he'll treat you right.

18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

And I agree with squirrel, early 2x4 would do that car right.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some people don't care for the 2 x 2 adapter setup from Vintage Speed, but I had one on my 23 and basically bolted it on and that was it. I had it on an aluminum intake, and the engine was a 350 Vortec.

One thing I might suggest is that you bypass ordering it from VS directly as they tend to (how shall I put this?) not ship as promptly sometimes as they should, and they tend to say things went out the door when they in fact had not. Lots of negative feedback to support that statement. I bought mine from them, but I went to their table at Turkey Run, handed them crisp $100 bills, and walked away with it in my hot little hands. That way I knew I was not going to get danced around.

Speedway carries the same item, their part number 925-1000, and Speedway is very good about shipping immediately and telling the truth. Their price is also $ 779.99. Just a suggestion to save you some hair pulling. :D

Don

Here is the VS setup on my old 23.

[​IMG]

20. I just ckecked out Dickster27's site and his work looks awesome! I am calling him right now.

21. dad-bud

dad-bud

Low budget, low bucks - single 4bbl with a big-ass sexy lookin' air cleaner like a Caddy 3 x 2 double inlet - that'll take the eye away from what's under it, it'll work and should fill the bill.
    Nowhere near as sexy as 2 x 4 or 4 x 2 or 6 x 2 or whatever, but low-buck.
    Just my $0.02
    Good luck, it looks like you've got a good basis for a modified.
    Cheers.

22. aojo

aojo

I dont know what nostalgia is for you but for me it is the 50s and the 2x4 set up mentioned by Dreddybear seems to be a complete package for the money. Additionally the seller mentions he is open for an offer so who knows what price will take the setup?. The 2x4 combo offers great performance, I am putting a set on a 350 in a 57 vette, and was offered by most auto companies in the 50s.

23. I thought I should share with you fella's what I decided to go with. I took many of yours advise and called Dick from Dicks Hot Rod Carbs and he was great to work with. His packaging was great, emailed me all the specs and then some, and chatted with me on the phone a few times to educate me about the carbs. I strongly encourage any hambers to give him a call next time you are looking for anything carb related. Thanks again for all the help.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      8.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg