Register now to get rid of these ads!

Budget hot rod build possible???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kein, Jul 5, 2010.

1. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Rob Lee built this for under $8,000. Small one car garage with minimum tools.You spread that out over the three years it took and that should be in anyones reach.

2. All cars are built on a budget some are just bigger than others.

I'd think you could build something passable for around 10-14K if you buy right and add some sweat equity. It helps to be a good scrounger.

There are some things that you are just going to have to pay for like tires. And other things you can find worth the money if you just keep your eyes open.

A side note: Don't get in a hurry finding your project and be sure to buy what you want to build. Pretty damned hard to make a Model A out of a 53 Pontiac. If you catch my drift.

3. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Very good point here...I remember a thread similar to this a year or so ago, and everyone was telling the guy to buy a ____ instead or a ____ instead of an early Ford. Why spend money on something you don't really want?

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've got some guidelines I've developed out of budget building (which is becoming my specialty).

1. Find a car and the era you like and stick to that.
    2. Plan your build ahead of time and test your budget by researching costs, searching the HAMB, swaps, eBay, etc. Pretend you're going on a spending spree with your budget and over estimate costs.
    3. Get to know the parts (like Heathen says in his post).
    4. Don't use a credit card. I have a debit card/paypal specificly for my hot rod fund and I stick to using it. It keeps me responsible.
    5. Refer to number 1 when you see a new project that catches you eye. Seriously, this is my downfall.
    6. Sell what's not needed if you buy a parts lot or parts vehicle. Doing this has cut the money spent on my 26/27 roadster down to zero (actually I made money on it)before I bought the engine and trans.
    7. Be prepared to get your hands dirty. I've gotten deals on good/usable parts that needed TLC. My wheels, for example, have some cracks (typical wire wheel issues) but I got the lot for $50 dollars. No rust, no bent spokes, roll straight but the guy selling them couldn't find a buyer because of the cracks. They'll be prepped well, TIG'd, reprepped for finishing and they'll go onto my 20T.
    8. Keep in mind of miscellanious costs. The nickle-and-diming can be a budget killer. Remember, items have to be shipped or rebuilt and nuts and bolts are sneaky because they can add up without realizing it.
    9. Remember that if you buy something you don't need or change your mind on using it is very likely that you'll take a loss on it. Throwing money away isn't fun... so refer to the above mentioned numerals and most importantly...
    10. EDUCATE YOURSELF!

There are 3 different projects in my profile... They taught me about budget.

- The 20 T Roadster, planned to keep it under 4k, looks more like 5k because of a wood kit and some extra things I need to pay people to do... I'm WELL under 4k at the moment.

- The 26/27 Roadster, I've collected everything to make it a roller, 36 axle w/ juice brakes, A frame, dropped front axle w/ juice (square back spindles), springs, etc., and was at ZERO from selling off all the unneeded parts. The Model B engine and trans is the cost of the car so far.

- The Model A on 32 Chassis... that taught me I need to learn about the era I am shooting for and to stop being like a cat chasing after shiny objects. I spent a LOT. I shelved it because I was losing my direction and I didn't define what I wanted out of it. Truthfully, I didn't know anything about the era I was intending to build into.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Heres one hamber, that is jealous of your craftsmanship, resourcefullness, and YOUR RIDE!!!
    Great Looking HotRod!!

6. Man... I'd like to see more of this car....

7. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

25 grand for a guy that has no skills, takes it everywhere to have someone do the work. and does not know how to shop at swap meets, craiglist,and has no friends ,sounds about right

8. I don't think my pops ever had more than a thousand bucks to throw at a car at a time. The rest of the time it was just nickle and diming stuff. If we couldn't afford to buy it we'd try making it out of whatever we had on hand (sometimes successful....sometimes not). In the end we may have had $10-15k in them but it didn't hurt as badly as plunking down all of it at once.

We'd go out in the middle of BFE and find an old model A that some farmer had half forgotten was even there. If they didn't pay us to get it out of the way they'd take next to nothing for it. We found a good 28-29 Tudor Sedan body and frame (and various other parts) and the guy took $150 for it. You just got to look around and you can find the stuff.

9. mink

mink
    from CT

Kein I've spent 4500 on my project but did all the work my self . I figure another 500 and i'll be on the road. Started with just a $600 32 chevy body. No need for $10000

10. fbama73

fbama73

OK, here's a thought, bud- Do you want a rod or not? Because, from the tone of your posts, it sounds like you're almost about to worry yourself out of doing it.

I'm going to bring up my hole theory again here. If you're standing on the edge of a deep hole, it is more difficult to figure out how to get out of the hole than if you're IN the hole. Because if you're IN the hole, you HAVE to figure out a way out.

Will 10 grand build a rod? Well, it might, it might not. It depends on what you want, how much skill you have to do things yourself, and how well you shop. But unless you're fooloish, it's a HELL of a start at the very least.

Don't forget to enjoy building it along the way. To many people (like me) buillding is more than half the fun. It doesn't have to be ready to cruise tomorrow. Keep your time and money obligations up, and hit the rod when you can. Keep running lists of things that need to be done- always have smaller projects that don't take money, so you have something to do when there may not be extra cash for the car.

If you're going to build a rod, count on these things happening: 1) it will take longer than you think 2) It will cost more than you think 3) You'll learn new skills and/or improve old ones during the build. It's just the nature of these beasts.

Now- go jump in a hole! :)

11. Depends on the budget. In my case (having a family and many responsibilities beyond my hobby) I have a second job just to fund my project. Buy, sell, trade and remember you can have everything...just not all at the same time!

12. aceracer23

aceracer23
    from rural

it is possible, but very difficult to stay within a budget. i am doing a 29 5 window for my father, it is steel, titled, was running all stock condition before i started. so i had a car too start with, i traded for the 61 283 im using, i got a 3 speed saginaw for free, i make almost all my own brackets, i built the tube frame, got a seat for free. other than that i have got front and rear suspension pieces, a mustang radiator, all my sheetmetal for patch panels i get for free at work (damaged in shipping body panels) im at 4 grand so far and i still need quite a few parts, was trying too keep budget for parts at 5 grand, but im thinking more like 6500 to 7000. but i also do all labor myself, i have countless hours in it so far. so if a guy was not mechanically inclined and had too farm it all out 15-25k would not be out of hand. i mean hell, i had a car too start with, and alot of the drivetrain i got for free and im still lookin at 6-7k

r@tt3r likes this.
  13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

And they say I'm in the wrong timezone!!