Register now to get rid of these ads!

bucket seats with air bags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by budrow, Sep 23, 2009.

1. budrow

budrow

I got a set of Free bucket seats, just had to take em out before the car went to the crusher. I couldn't pas em up. The question is how do i make sure the air bags are disabled? They are power seats out of a 2002 Buick Lesabre.

2. If they've sat for ANY amount of time,(without battery power) your fine. They'll have plug ins under the seat for the bags(yellow). I wouldn't sweat using them.BUT,if you have them recovered,or someone starts cutting into them=potential white dust storm.Just worked on a car today that had them. The seats were nice and comfortable. Mid to late 2k car you scored from?

3. budrow

budrow

02 I think and they do set nice. Didn't notice the air bags till I was lifting them onto the loft and the air bag sign was right ther in my face.

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

once they are disabled you can remove them and fill the space left behind with something,if the bag is a separate unit they even sell for a pretty steep price

5. The seats will not hold "power".Thus meaning they cannot "go off" at anytime. Just make sure that 'random,open ended,12v wire doesn't find it's way into the plug when your hittin' the highway!You'll be fine!:eek:

6. budrow

budrow

So if I clip out and tape up all the wires except the power to the seat motors I got it licked?

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think all airbag wires are labeled with yellow tubing or plastic on them? I could be wrong. But every car I worked on at the stereo shop, had yellow labels on them under the dash and near the column.

8. jr9162

jr9162

Are these the seats with the built in seatbelts?

9. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

I got a set of 02 caddy seats with a similar setup. The airbag wires are always marked with a yellow connector and yellow wrapping. You can take the bags out and fill the spot with something else if you want. I'm leaving mine in place. I clipped the wires and will be wrapping them in lots of tape..

Good luck!

10. trialbyfire

trialbyfire

All yellow air bag connectors will have a shorting bar in built into the connector to prevent accidental detonation while unplugged. Leave the connector on there and just tape it up out of the way and it will be fine.

11. :)
    JR- Nice!

Leave the bags in-they won't hurt a thing. Unless they bother you=you'll just pay to have them removed and foam added in they're spot. =CHA CHING! You don't have to cut anything(plugs),just tape them up and go like others have mentioned.

12. bryan6902

bryan6902

I would clip that connector and actually heat shrink the wires separatly, using a lighter or small torch. Some connectors do have shorting bars and technically if they aren't connected they should not go off, right? What about static electricity? Every factory service manual has a big warning section on airbags. Not so bad if they're in the car, mounted to something, but if you have one discharge on the bench you've got a rocket fueled projectile.

I like heat shrink better than tape because of the melty glue that seals it air and water tight. Tape sometimes has a way of peeling off etc.. Just my thoughts, be careful...

13. man those airbags are fun as hell to set off! talk about scaring the living shit out of someone a buddy caught me off guard when i was getting a soda and BAMM that thing went off. had to laugh because it reminded me of the movie "men at work" when they kept setting them off when dude opened his locker and hurled a ton of shit at him!

14. budrow

budrow

Thanks for the help, I feel a better about useing these nice cushey seats in my '36 Ply