Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bucket seats in a Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Sep 24, 2014.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

I think I just posted a tech question in the wrong section. 70 yrs old , not good with the computer, and am new with this website . Building a 1929 Ford model A coupe Would like to put (bucket seats) in the car but because of the small interior, am I out of luck ? Are there a pair of bucket seats that would fit without fabricating or buying custom made ? Gene in Minnesota

2. You're not out of luck.
    Get some buckets out of something old and small; think sports cars like MGs, Triumphs and Austin Healeys....
    Or VW Beetles...
    Or domestics like Ford Falcons and Chevy Novas....
    Or even stock Model A Tudor seats.

Whatever you do, don't settle for late model buckets with big hip bolsters and headrests. :eek:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Also think early Mustang/Cougar (yeah, hard to find these days). Another choice is '75-88 Jag XJS seats, these have headrests but they're removable; very compact seat and has adjustable backs, a plus for your purposes.

4. aaggie

aaggie

Worst case would be to have the upholstery guy make some custom seats. It isn't as hard as it sounds to cut down some seat frames and reweld them to the size you want and cut some new foam.

5. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

[​IMG]These are the rear seats from a 200? Camaro in my 26 roadster, just an idea.

The Shift Wizard and Chucky like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

Another option is 3rd row seats from a Suburban, minivan, or S10 seats. Not buckets but they are cheap and may fit.

dan c likes this.
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

HHR bucket seats are narrow, about 19" and if you remove the headrest they no longer look modern at all.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

[​IMG]
    MG Buckets in my '29 roadster. All the stuff to rebuild a tired set is available from a place like Moss Motors.

9. Reds 29

Reds 29

I used the buckets out of a 2000 Chevy S-10 pick-up, we cut the headrests off, they are tight but fit and are comfortable.

10. 63dan63

63dan63

I started with '65 mustang buckets

Attached Files:

dan c likes this.
  11. gatz

gatz

Pontiac Sunbird conv. seats would work as they have integral shoulder harness or straps.
    (Grabbed this pic off the 'net; no dimensions were given)

[​IMG]

or,
    96-98 Chrysler Sebring conv seats, also have the integral shoulder harness.
    I bought a set of these for my '40 Chrysler coupe....yet to be installed.
    I have some documentation for adapting these into a narrow-body car.
    If you'd like to read it, "conversation" me and I'll send it via email

gatz

12. If you can find an affordable pair, Austin Healey, or Austin Healey Sprite buckets are perfect for Model A's. I used them in my RPU in 1960, and later in a '28 Tudor in '72.

sko_ford likes this.
  13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Quickest and cheapest answer is brand new Jeep Wrangler seats. Choice of color and materials. These are Bestop seats from Quadratec. Since replaced them with highjack seats DSC00011.JPG

RoddyB34 likes this.
  14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Try BMW E30 3-series. I don't know how they'll fit in an A, but they are one of a number of seat swaps that are done on Morris Minors. They're a chunkyish, luxurious-feeling seat and very comfortable, and the headrests pull right out for a passably period look.

Here are cloth ones pulled off the 'net, but leather is also to be had:
    [​IMG]

15. i used '70 ford econoline buckets in my 29 tudor. I used speedway seat risers to mount them. They fit real nice

16. I put a set of '59 SAAB seats in my tudor. I know somthing like that will be hard to fine but I needed something older than 1960 and I was lucky enough to find them. I think they are 16" wide.

17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with "Crazy Steve".. Early Mustang seats are perfect and traditional...

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've got Triumph TR7 seats in my '31 roadster, and they fit just right. Also came with seat tracks and release levers for the tracks so they are adjustable front to rear, and another lever to adjust rake of seat back, plus let them tilt forward to access the pockets on the back of resrt.
    Mustang seats are good, but have you priced any used Mustang stull lately??????

19. trucker1

trucker1

I put a 90s dodge center seat my friend helped narrow 10 inches and cut off the risers. You can make a hot wire foam cutter with a train transformer and nichrome wire to cut the foam and re-weld the frame.

20. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pair of early mustang seats. They are 21.5 wide at the widest part. If you have a big truck junk yard near you. Check out the buddy seat in some of the trucks. We used them in my friends Anglia. They were about 19.75 at the widest point. And pretty cheap. We paid $25.00 each. Gene.

21. I had a set of fork lift seats recovered in my 46, I know its not an "A" but it was a tiny cab and they were small and comfy and fit well.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw these in a T sedan last Saturday. He said they were 70 something Capri as in Mercury Capri. With the headrests removed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those were in this car
    [​IMG]

23. chargin03

chargin03

pt cruiser in my a sedan

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

My Coupe has Low Back Pro Car Seats and my last A-Sedan I used Mazda Miata seats, had the head rest stuff all removed and covered in white pleats.....plenty of extra room. If you need pictures, let me know.
    Glenn

25. 70's Chevrolet vans have low back buckets with a vintage look. 18" wide, have adjuster tracks and probably easier to find than Austin Healy's, and cheaper than Mustang or GM low backs.

26. deanp72

deanp72

How about seats from a newer Toyota or Nissan ?

27. deanp72

deanp72

I am looking for junkyard seats from a newer vehicle but not sure what to look for yet. This is for a 1927 Ford coupe which is pretty narrow. I hope to learn the upholstery myself but may need the window trims. Any help?

28. Years ago, Feiro seats ( with headrests removed) were popular in Model A's. I had them for years, they fit well and were comfortable, but I returned to the original bench seat to be more traditional.

29. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

You can put a Caravan seat. They fit well, some fold down, easy bracket attachment points, and they are still in junkyards. You want the bench seat behind the front seats, not the rear seat. The rear seat is too wide. My pic not the best but you can see it fits well

20190824_192723.jpg