Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bucket list Belly Tank build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53kemper, Nov 21, 2022.

1. 53kemper

53kemper

Haha, Unfortunately that's how these 1950s houses were built back in the day. Have to work with what I have.

saltflats likes this.
  2. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Your going to run out of room fast in a tank that's less than 30 inches in diameter. EJ Kowalski and his dad built a Lakester using a tank about the diameter of what your working with. To gain some needed height the top and bottom of the tank body sit on the 4 inch tall frame rail in effect the side of the frame is now equal to the outer surfaces of the tank body.

Many years ago when I began building my drop tank Lakester I spent time talking to Jack Kelley from Manhattan Beach Ca. Jack built his Lakester using an original 330 gallon P-38 drop tank. One important thing Jack told me was to build my frame as wide as possible. The tank body I started with is a 1944 WW2 300 gallon size its 32 inches in width at its widest point and 13 feet long.

Years ago I converted my Lakester to a Rear Engine Modified Roadster now I have a bit more room of course I'm no longer just going after the traditional look but I thought I would give you some input.
    Ronnieroadster

53kemper and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. Make a list of what you want in it and what you need in it, go with all the ''need'' 1st. Water tank or radiator and getting the controls from the front to the back without trying to go through or around items that that may be able to be placed differently, Finish nothing until all the ''needed'' stuff is worked out, doing things twice is a pain. Happy building.:cool::D JW

saltflats and 53kemper like this.
  4. 53kemper

53kemper

Thanks Ronnie, Once I get the back banjo connected I can slide the bottom half of the tank on to the frame and start to get a better idea of how much room I have to work with. Its gonna be a bit tight.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The rear engine dragster I had was only 18.5 inches wide in the shoulder bars. I'm 6.2 at 175 it was tight but not uncomfortable.

das858 likes this.
  6. 53kemper

53kemper

little more work. I got the bottom of the tank on, and now I can start to figure out where things go as I start fabricating the chassis. Sits pretty good so far, but I guess I'll have to make some modes once I get all the weight on her.

Attached Files:

26 T Ford RPU and Hellbentrodder like this.
  7. Looking good, make sure you have room for a firewall and roll gage between engine and seat. Not sure if you plan on a radiator or water tank but that needs to fit somewhere too. JW

53kemper likes this.